ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the next big thing  (Read 6355 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: What is the next big thing
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »

That day is arriving now.

Over the last 15 months we've had 3 BEs that have never mixed a show on analog.  We were fully booked when a good customer called with another gig, and we nearly sent out the PM4000 and insert rack.  When I mentioned this to the BE (we got an SC48 for him) he told me "we'd have problems then, I use compressors on almost every input, plus I've never mixed a concert on analog."
Say what you will about the "digital kids", you can't tell me you were looking forward to digging that monster out of it's cave and having 5 of your best buds lift it onto the outboard case lids, all ready TO BE PREPPED for use.......  Whose got the case of patch cords....
My back hurts just thinking about it.
I loved it when I got one for a show....... 15 years ago !
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »

Say what you will about the "digital kids", you can't tell me you were looking forward to digging that monster out of it's cave and having 5 of your best buds lift it onto the outboard case lids, all ready TO BE PREPPED for use.......  Whose got the case of patch cords....

I'm not complaining about the physical aspect, not at all.  And I wasn't looking forward to troubleshooting the oxidizing insert jacks and other things that can happen in storage.

No box of patch cords, though.  All the interconnects between desk and racks are on multi.

We have since sold off all the insert dynamics, most of the EFX and analog L/R processing.  All that's left are a couple of t.c. electronic pieces, the 4K and a CD player.

FWIW, Clair still has racks of Big Iron MacroTechs and they go out with the old Clari i/o drive and 24 i3.  That's Clair's "budget" rig.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »

Heres one for the genius crowd, develop
auditory nerve stimulator tranmitter.
with controlled area coverage.
no amps, cabs, cxovers, just a mixing desk.....cool
 and i get royalties for thinking of it ......YES
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

I know…. a shock collar for loud guitar players !!!…I couldn't help myself !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »

I don't know...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »

twitter powered tweeters

Tim Halligan

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »

Something like a portable Faraday Cage that will render all mobile devices inoperative whilst in the venue.

Then the kids will have to *gasp* actually watch the show with their own eyes...

...and will end the glut of awful sounding, wobbly videos that are currently filling up youtube.

</curmudgeon>

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »

Something like a portable Faraday Cage that will render all mobile devices inoperative whilst in the venue.

Just modify one of these:

And crush them at the door.

Steve.

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 09:13:53 AM »

Fiber replaces copper on the small signal side of things. All it will take is a company like Neutrix to develop an XLR like connector, along the lines of Fibercon and Belden to make a fiber cable with 2 conductors for phantom power and an entertainment use jacket. Will also need an industry agreed standard for digital control of preamps. What we end up with is microphones and direct boxes that use fiber to feed consoles. On the PA drive of things, self powered speaker enclosures with control and signal on 1 connector. All the technology already exists, just needs a few industry specific standards to solidify the chain.

John Heinz,
Concert Quality

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »

Will also need an industry agreed standard for digital control of preamps.
Like that's gonna happen.

In remember a couple of decades ago, there was an AES meeting in which there was a discussion about standardization of audio "stuff".

Things like dbu vs dbv, 2.83V vs 1 watt and so forth.

It was brought up that the industry really didn't need to worry-because when it changed to digital-there would be just one standard and everything would interface flawlessly.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is waayyy worse now.

It is a nice idea hoping people would agree on a standard-but the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.