ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Expression 3 Mono output for delay stacks "Patch"  (Read 7083 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Soundcraft Expression 3 Mono output for delay stacks "Patch"
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »

I'm on an Expression 3 this weekend. I was told I had all day Friday to get things up and running now it looks like I have 1/2 hour Saturday morning to make it happen...  ???  I have learned how to get the copy / paste going , Mute groups , and Assign the Effects masters up and going.

The Client wants a single delay stack in back of the mix location.
It looks like Via the manual the Mono out comes unassigned to any output with the board reset to factory. ( This is how I am told it will arrive for me )

With L/R outputs assigned to XLR outs 15-16 my plan is to assign Mono out to XLR 14. The question is do I need to Assign each channel to the MONO FADER or is the MONO FADER out just the summed output of the L/R master? The manuals block diagram seems to be unclear. In some analog boards when you pull the L/R master the mono feed drops as well. Is this the case here also? Which will be fine by me. I plan on using the delay,low cut filter and parametric eq available when selecting the mono output for the delay stack. It will be aprox 80-100 feet out. Trying to get a handle on this as much as possible before the show.

Thanks for any information;
Douglas R. Allen

Sunil.Karanjikar

Re: Soundcraft Expression 3 Mono output for delay stacks "Patch"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »

Hi Douglas,
Each channel will have to be assigned to the mono bus. It's part of the selected channel strip. Alternately you may use one of the 4 matrix busses available on the desk.

-Sunil K

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »

+1 for Sunil's suggestion, I occasionally config similar using a post-fade Aux send with all faders at unity. End result is pretty much the same.....

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »

+1 for Sunil's suggestion, I occasionally config similar using a post-fade Aux send with all faders at unity. End result is pretty much the same.....

Thanks for the tips.

I may use a post fade Aux send for this. I'm using channels 27-30 for my effects return levels to the master L/R buss.  If these are at unity on the Aux layer will effects be passed to the delay stack as well?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »

" The question is do I need to Assign each channel to the MONO FADER or is the MONO FADER out just the summed output of the L/R master? "

It's really easy to assign channels to mono.  Just select the channel and push the mono button located at the out(tan colored) section of the board located on the top right surface.  Same thing for the effects return faders.  You don't even have to enter any menus.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:45:15 AM by Chuck Simon »

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:38 AM »

Thanks for the tips.

I may use a post fade Aux send for this. I'm using channels 27-30 for my effects return levels to the master L/R buss.  If these are at unity on the Aux layer will effects be passed to the delay stack as well?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Yes they would - with the aux arrangement you can do an 'altered mix' - eg with more vocals and less effects, which could help with overall intelligibility in your 'delay stack' behind FOH.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »

Douglas,
Have you taken a look at the manual and visited the Soundcraft Facebook page. Most if not all of your questions are answered in detail.

My method would be to create a mix and route that mix to the desired output. To create a mix simply choose the mix # from the row of buttons above the faders. From that point you can assign any output 1-14 if available, then assign whatever channels you need in the delay. This mix will have it's own fader, effects, EQ, etc. separate from any other mix. Just my thought, but I have found this a very quick and easy way to create monitor mixes, delays, etc. myself. I'm sure there are other ways, some already mentioned so YMMV. There is also an off line editor available from the Soundcraft site. You might find that helpful.

One last note. Be sure to save your scene. This can be done at any time without effecting output, even on the fly as you mix. Also make sure the board has the latest firmware applied, currently 1.5 build 8 I believe.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:57:14 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

MIKE Lynn

• Lynn Sound Systems
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »

Doug I have the same board and used it in few a similar set ups , easiest way to do it is use one of the matrix outs, they are able to be fed from L, R, Or mono ,or any mix group, and are post fade from the source. Matrix outs still have P-Eq , graphic eq, and delay. and you wont have to assign evey channel to them just the L+R Creating a fader controled output of your main mix. Matrix is as easy to use as a mix group , hit the matrix button and raise the faders that you want to go to it, just remember its a matrix so your not able to add input channels directly into it (they would have to be part of your main or group mixes), only groups and mains, (just like analog) can go to the matrix outs. On the expression 3 you can put the matrix master fader on any fader of any layer as well. 
Lynn Sound Systems INC.
Crown-I-tech , JBL-VRX/VTX , Soundcraft, Shure

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:08 AM »

Ended up all for nothing. The sound company from Canada didn't have their papers in order and couldn't cross the boarder. No show for me. I got a call late friday night as a guy had purchased a used pa to get by with for the show. He had no snake,microphones,mic cables and needed a hand getting it going. I took off for a 60 mile drive to give them a hand.

When I got there the pa was a Carvin TCS system. 2 TCS 2-15's and a horn aside. Like a peavey Sp4s and 2 - 218 subs for the show. A single Behringer crossover for a biamped system. 1 carvin DCM2000 amp bridged for each box for about 6000 watts total. This was for an expected 4000 people. Pair of Soundtech 2-15 and horn driven by a old 4 rack space peavey cs800 for side fill monitors. 1 powered monitor for the front and that was it.

Foh was a Carvin board and a Art 2-15 eq. 1 side for mains eq, other side for monitor eq.  ???
I brought up an old 16 channel 4 return snake I had in my storage shed and 5 microphone cables and hooked everything up. The board had issues with the left send so a mono system was all they could have. By 3 am I had it all up and running and wished them a good show. I told the system provider my address 3 times and he was sure he knew where I lived.
Now it seems my snake and microphone cables have gone away to never , never land. No returns to my calls and everyone just seems to not know anything.  >:(  No good deed goes unpunished I guess...

They ended up with what looks like 150 to 200 people and I hear of missing upright bass. Missing microphones and other problems.

I'll post a few pictures of the gig I found online.

Douglas R. Allen

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »

Wow, sorry about how this all turned out for you. This had to be a huge loss for all those concerned with the only lucky parties being the Canadian sound company.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

Wow, sorry about how this all turned out for you. This had to be a huge loss for all those concerned with the only lucky parties being the Canadian sound company.

Thanks Bob;

This was a VFW event. To raise money for the veteran's. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure it hurt. Sad to see it end up the way it did. I did what I could. Still waiting on my snake. It was a old  one of many but it was handy to give out for shows just like this where someone just needed a hand. Still hoping I'll get some kind of call.  :(

Thanks everyone;

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »

Well my faith in humanity has been restored. The Snake and cables were returned. All over/under wrapped and working!

Glad it turned out OK !
Douglas R. Allen

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 01:12:28 PM »

Great news Douglas.
Mark McFarlane

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »

Where was that gig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:34 AM »

Where was that gig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Freedom Fest;  Fort Kent , Maine
Douglas R. Allen

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »

Freedom Fest;  Fort Kent , Maine
Douglas R. Allen

450 miles from Rob and I. I'll bet there were more moose than people.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »

Where was that gig?

Ft. Kent ME.  The other end of US Rt. 1 from Key West FL.

It's difficult to say, but it almost sounds like the check didn't clear, and the production company had "problems" at the border as a result.  They could have almost set up in Canada and blasted the sound across the river.  Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed in the end.  8)

The stage/roof in the picture looked fairly substantial.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.