ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16  (Read 47434 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:24 AM »

I think the lack of motorized faders makes the Presonus a non starter.

For the OPs purpose this makes NO difference whatsoever.  End of story in that regard.

What  DOES make all the difference for him is the 3" tall, selectable meter bridge and the built-in SMAART-ability.  These two features are the most helpful FOR THE OP and none of the others have them...making all of them "non-starters" FOR THE OP.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:42 AM »

I do it all the time with the DL 1608 playing drums. No issues whatsoever.

+1. Mackie has an excellent iPad app that is stable, simple, intuitive and I've had no problems the few times I've used one. The X32 iPad app has been slightly flakey for me but with LOTS more power and features.  I wish my GLD had as good an iPad app.  I primarily use a GLD which is pure joy to mix on the surface. The GLD iPad app sucks. I have an X32 Rack permanently set up in my rehearsal space. I'm contemplating picking up a DL 1608 for smaller gigs, and as a backup for the GLD. Its cheaper than an extra stage box for the GLD.
Mark McFarlane

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »

OP,
Every response you get is going to be biased toward the board used by the responding person. That said I've mixed from or provided a stage mix for over 15 years now and been through any number of analog boards. My move to digital was not a trivial matter to me with a pretty flawless performance reputation at stake, and the process took almost 2 years to accomplish.

Granted the number of digital boards available was scant as compared to today, but in comparison there is nothing I would change about my choice. The Expression has everything I need now and enough expansion capability to carry me into the future even with a single expansion port, and the board is rock solid. The best part to me was spending far less than half my budget and having money to put into other parts of my system.

That's my choice, and yours may be different, but if I may I'll suggest you choose the 3 boards within your budget you might be leaning towards and go look at them. Take time to play with them to see what they can do. Look at the web sites and download the manuals and off line editors, then go back for a second round and buy the board that feels right to you.

Have fun.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Darrell McCullough

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »

Thanks, guys. Having people with hands on experience give their opinion is extremely valuable,  and I appreciate it!

The Expression may be a tad out of my price range, and unfortunately, no one in my area has one to check out. The PreSonus and QU-16 are front runners, Soundcraft a close second. More research!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »

I have to admit that the DL1608 works great for our band.  I love the very small footprint and believe it's rather intuitive to operate.  My band leader makes a few minor adjustments during our shows, but nothing that requires constant monitoring/tweaking.

The TouchMix isn't available yet; it's supposed to come out next month.  Check out the videos on QSC's website for more info.  The TouchMix has what I'm looking for and I trust QSC quality, so I'm buying the 16-ch board as soon as it's available.

I look forward to the review.  Not having an iPad as a theft target makes me far more comfortable to leave one at a corporate event.  The 1608 just rides around in a bag in my car for emergencies.

Mackie got the software right, like you said, intuitive.  Hard act to follow.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »

If you don't trust an iPad what would you trust? I have been using the X32 Rack exclusively for the past 2 months for all kinds of shows from single set shows to all day festivals. After a number of comparisons, I can reliably mix rings around the Presonus iPad app OR the console. A appropriately set up X32 iPad gives me access to every operation. The metering is ALWAYS on the screen. You switch ANY function on the SL and your input metering disappears until you search out and press the small and surrounded "input" button. The SL FX are really limiting. I just convinced another local group to go with the X32 Rack. One big plus is if they can afford me or someone to mix the show, we can actually adjust everything from the audience. I arrived late to a show a few weeks ago with one of my " X32 Rack Bands" and I just sat at the bar, signed on and had complete control in seconds. I mixed a show last week on a SL...after having update the mandatory MacBook...supplied by me...outdoors for about 1000... 10 piece band....and not having access to preamp gain on the iPad was MADDENING! No DCA's.....Can't adjust FX returns....if you accept chowing 2 subgroups to do so.....at the same time as instrument and vocals...etc...etc.......it's 2014. And the fact that the computer runs the console is dangerous IMO. We had a power interruption on the break and I had to retype channel names on the MacBook...PITA!

I trust the iPad and I use it alot, I just wouldn't want to mix on it exclusively.  Would you? And while a WiFi connection can be pretty reliable most of the time, no connection is as reliable as fingers on the faders.  You and others seem to be forgetting the OP is a working musician and will be mixing from stage while playing.  He has NO need for an iPad.  Your day to day mixing experiences and requirements have very little relevance to his needs.  I know some of you guys love your X32's but you have to accept the fact that there are other choices that may work better for other users!

I have no illusions about the capability of the Presonus, that's why I bought a Soundcraft Expression, but the Presonus is still a good choice for many tasks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:58:24 AM by Chuck Simon »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »

Op,
Adding just another voice from a small-timer...
Having mixed on just Mackie and MixWiz analog boards, I went to a studiolive 16.0.2.  I found the transition extremely easy.  I've also worked quite a bit with the 24.4.2 .   I agree with Dick Rees that the meter bridge and the Smaart capability make these very usable pieces and maybe the best for your needs. 

I will also say mixing with an iPad solves many problems - but in my opinion, nothing beats the feel of physical faders.  While the Presonus is workable with the iPad, my non-AI boards require the computer with firewire (which itself is another problem...).  The non-motorized faders are not horrible, and only come into play when using either the computer or iPad interface.  Again, not horrible, but can catch you out if not paying full attention.  Slows the workflow when changing from iPad to the SL surface. 

That said, for the small club where I work, I've recommended a Mackie 1608 - for the venue, I believe it is the right machine, not the Presonus.  Space and the various groups that would use it make it a natural there.

My next move is to sell off the Presonus 16.0.2 and my analogs and buy a A&H QU16 for most of my work, and keep the Presonus 24.4.2 for the few times I need the extra channels. 

The only thing I can say  about the Soundcraft is I've looked over the shoulder of someone mixing on one.  I liked what I saw as far as displays and workflow.  (Pretty lame, I know)  Sounded great.  I think Bob Leonard's statements might be a bit more useful than mine.   

No one answer, just like was already said.  I would agree the few that said that mixing via iPad and playing in the band may not be as workable as it seems. 

frank

Steve Garris

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

I trust the iPad and I use it alot, I just wouldn't want to mix on it exclusively.  Would you? And while a WiFi connection can be pretty reliable most of the time, no connection is as reliable as fingers on the faders.  You and others seem to be forgetting the OP is a working musician and will be mixing from stage while playing.  He has NO need for an iPad.  Your day to day mixing experiences and requirements have very little relevance to his needs.  I know some of you guys love your X32's but you have to accept the fact that there are other choices that may work better for other users!

I have no illusions about the capability of the Presonus, that's why I bought a Soundcraft Expression, but the Presonus is still a good choice for many tasks.

I know of 8 bands in the Seattle area using the DL1608, and about half of them mix from stage. Having a wireless mixer that fits in your hand is invaluable to getting a good mix to begin with. The musician can take the iPad out in front of the mains and make adjustments before each show. Same with monitors - you can stand in front of the monitor and adjust EQ and other settings. I do not miss the days when I had to listen, then go somewhere else to make adjustments, then hope I got it right. With the DL1608 the board is in your hands where ever you are.
Additionally there are no connection issues unless you get very far away, and if you do lose connection you simply walk closer to your router and it quickly re-connects. For on-stage use there would not be any issues.

Darrell McCullough

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »

We used the Mackie 1608 for a short time... our bass player got one, then had a terrible car accident and is no longer playing. Won't sell any of his gear, though.  Smart guy.

Having said that, it seemed to work fine, but in that particular project, I wasn't mixing... he was.

The problem with the Mackie, as far as I can see, is you need to buy a router and have an iPad dedicated to it. Once you've spent all that, might as well have another board with real faders, etc.

Still.. that's also an option. This really comes down to something like "what's your favorite pizza?", doesn't it? 10 people, 10 different favorites. I'll take the advice of downloading manuals and trying to get hands on some of these.

Thanks again, everyone!

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

The problem with the Mackie, as far as I can see, is you need to buy a router and have an iPad dedicated to it. Once you've spent all that, might as well have another board with real faders, etc.

You only need a router if you want to mix remotely; otherwise, leave the iPad docked to the board.  To keep costs down, one can buy a used iPad for ~ $200.  The biggest complaint I've read in the reviews for the 1608 is the low quality of the effects, but honestly haven't had a chance to mess around with them.  My biggest complaint is sometimes it's not easy to make fine adjustments on the touchscreen.

As much as I like the 1608, I'm excited about the TouchMix.  What's different about it is the built-in screen, while still providing iPad capability for remote operation.  You can use the touchscreen to adjust controls or use the master wheel to physically adjust (includes fine adjustment control as well).  It also comes with the router and a protective bag for the mixer.  So, for about the same cost as the Mackie + iPad + router + bag, you get a lot more capability.  These are some of the main points for my decision to go with QSC.  I just wish the screen were bigger as my eyesight is degrading.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.