ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16  (Read 47443 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: A&H QU-16 vs QSC TouchMix 16
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

I would recommend an X32 Rack, or Producer with an iPad Mini and a iPad microphone clamp.

The Presonus is not a bad mixer, but turning around on stage to fiddle with a mixer is very cumbersome.  I have video of myself doing it back when I was using a MixWiz, so I can conclusively say that not only is it a clunky way to mix, but that using the iPad from directly in front of you is much better.

I disagree.  I mixed from stage for years, sometimes six nights a week and never found it "clunky or cumbersome".  I always had the board beside me so there was no turning around. With the great metering on the Studiolive, you have a view of everything that is happening and all the faders are immediately accessible.  Why add the complexity and potential failure of an Ipad app when you need as little distractions as possible when playing?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

I would recommend an X32 Rack, or Producer with an iPad Mini and a iPad microphone clamp.

I'm going to agree with Chuck on this.  An iPad is possibly the worst interface for real-time mixing while playing.  It's too small to see and offers only a partial view of the virtual surface. You really need to SEE what's going on to reinforce auditory perceptions from behind the mains.  Touch screens are WAY more finicky than knobs and faders.  Set the mixer beside you and you don't have to turn around.

The pad is okay for tweaks to your monitors perhaps, but for the main mix you really want the largest, brightest meter bridge display you can get.  The StudioLive wins in this respect, hands down.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:10:14 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

Yeah, I don't mix from stage anymore but I use the iPad app for my Studiolive and Soundcraft Expression a lot and really like it.  However, I would never limit myself to a system that is totally dependent on an iPad or any other tablet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:27:41 PM by Chuck Simon »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »

Mixing from the stage with an Ipad? Just a disaster waiting to happen.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

I do it all the time with the DL 1608 playing drums. No issues whatsoever.

Clip from this past weekends show. Not playing drums here but set gain and levels from stage on the drums before this act. 

http://youtu.be/zf7rp4LxrJc
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:15:53 PM by Jonathan Betts »

Darrell McCullough

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »

Some great advice/opinions here, but you guys haven't really helped much, lol! I guess, in the end, it just comes down to features and price point. In the video comparing the 4 consoles, I thought the X32 sounded best, but I think it has too many features that I'd never use. Coming from the analog world, it seems the PreSonus would be best, as it's laid out more like an analog board, and doesn't seem as intimidating.

Man... This is tough! I still have a month or so before I need to purchase. Looks like I'll be online a lot! Thanks, everyone!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »

Some great advice/opinions here, but you guys haven't really helped much, lol! I guess, in the end, it just comes down to features and price point. In the video comparing the 4 consoles, I thought the X32 sounded best, but I think it has too many features that I'd never use. Coming from the analog world, it seems the PreSonus would be best, as it's laid out more like an analog board, and doesn't seem as intimidating.

Man... This is tough! I still have a month or so before I need to purchase. Looks like I'll be online a lot! Thanks, everyone!

Welcome to the Lounge...

If you were expecting a clear-cut opinion regarding one model, sorry.  Lots of choices these days and each offers a slightly different implementation of similar or identical features.  Based on features alone it might be hard to differentiate.

I'm not a StudioLive fan.  Don't let the pseudo-familiar front panel "look" fool you, there are still controls and access that lurk beneath the surface so it's not as "analog" as it might appear.  I've mixed on it and hated it.  With over 30 years of analog experience and going on 10 years of digital mixing across multiple platforms, I thought I could figure it out when asked to mix a band while the owner sorted out issues on the stage end of the snake.  There's nothing wrong with the way it sounds and the EFX were acceptable, I just had problems getting around on it.

I mixed a support act on their Soundcraft Expression, didn't hate it.  All I had to do was unmute channels and push faders.  The user interface was more like other compact digital mixers than the Presonus and I was able to get around on it quickly.  The EQ section was nice enough (I'd have liked 4 fully parametric bands, but I survived) sounding and didn't hear anything to dislike.  Some of the FX are ports of Lexicon code and I like Lexicon :)

I own an X32 that I find to be a great value for the price, it sounds plenty good for the money.  Coming from a Yamaha and Digidesign/AVID background I'd have thought the UI would be easy to understand.  The functions themselves are easy, but finding the combination of controls to access some of the deeper things (things beyond using the default setup) is like finding Easter eggs after your big brother re-hid them from you before you woke up.  Under the hood it's fairly sophisticated and if one of the default setups meets your needs there is no reason to go mucking about.  I think the EFX are decent (the rich plate is very Lexicon-ish and the LA2A plug in is effective although not terribly authentic).

Not used the QU, but if you're at all interested in it I suggest you spend some time reading posts by Dick Rees.  He owns or has owned StudioLive, currently uses QU, and has owned other small mixers, digital and analog; he's got a lot of perspective to offer.  He's also a performing musician and live-to-broadcast event mixer.

The new kid is the QSC.  I haven't seen one in the wild and there hasn't been much hands-on discussion yet on the forums.  Edited to add:  because they haven't been released for retail sale yet.

All of the mixers I've used *might* be right for your needs, even the Presonus.  I suggest you download the owners manuals for the models you're interested in and start reading.  Come back to PSW and use the Search Tool if you find something you don't understand; start a new thread if you can't figure it out.  Ultimately it's about workflow and how much you're willing to change the ways you've done things.  Make no mistake, you WILL be learning new tricks, old dog. ;)  Seriously, though, once you figure out how to navigate the UI, almost any of them will probably suffice.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

edit ps.  In addition to reading the manuals I suggest downloading any control software or stand-alone/stand-along editor software so you can get a feel for how the UI functions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:17:22 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »

I think the lack of motorized faders makes the Presonus a non starter.  The procedure to sync with the remote control is tedious.

If you can live without physical faders (and many have) the DL-1608 can't be beat.  WRT the X-32 as Tim said, it has everything and they seem to be releasing software at a pretty good clip.  You don't have to use all the effects but as your knowledge increases would you not rather have the extra "headroom".  I too have a lifetime of analog experience.  Some older digital boards like the Tascam DM series, LS-9 vintage stuff and I am still finding features and improved work flows.  I mix on the X32 almost exclusively now.  If I don't have a good FOH position I often leave the X-32 on stage and just use an iPad and a laptop.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Chiara

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »

I'm going to agree with Chuck on this.  An iPad is possibly the worst interface for real-time mixing while playing.  It's too small to see and offers only a partial view of the virtual surface. You really need to SEE what's going on to reinforce auditory perceptions from behind the mains.  Touch screens are WAY more finicky than knobs and faders.  Set the mixer beside you and you don't have to turn around.

The pad is okay for tweaks to your monitors perhaps, but for the main mix you really want the largest, brightest meter bridge display you can get.  The StudioLive wins in this respect, hands down.

If you don't trust an iPad what would you trust? I have been using the X32 Rack exclusively for the past 2 months for all kinds of shows from single set shows to all day festivals. After a number of comparisons, I can reliably mix rings around the Presonus iPad app OR the console. A appropriately set up X32 iPad gives me access to every operation. The metering is ALWAYS on the screen. You switch ANY function on the SL and your input metering disappears until you search out and press the small and surrounded "input" button. The SL FX are really limiting. I just convinced another local group to go with the X32 Rack. One big plus is if they can afford me or someone to mix the show, we can actually adjust everything from the audience. I arrived late to a show a few weeks ago with one of my " X32 Rack Bands" and I just sat at the bar, signed on and had complete control in seconds. I mixed a show last week on a SL...after having update the mandatory MacBook...supplied by me...outdoors for about 1000... 10 piece band....and not having access to preamp gain on the iPad was MADDENING! No DCA's.....Can't adjust FX returns....if you accept chowing 2 subgroups to do so.....at the same time as instrument and vocals...etc...etc.......it's 2014. And the fact that the computer runs the console is dangerous IMO. We had a power interruption on the break and I had to retype channel names on the MacBook...PITA!

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »

If you can live without physical faders (and many have) the DL-1608 can't be beat.
I have to admit that the DL1608 works great for our band.  I love the very small footprint and believe it's rather intuitive to operate.  My band leader makes a few minor adjustments during our shows, but nothing that requires constant monitoring/tweaking.

The TouchMix isn't available yet; it's supposed to come out next month.  Check out the videos on QSC's website for more info.  The TouchMix has what I'm looking for and I trust QSC quality, so I'm buying the 16-ch board as soon as it's available. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.