ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp sizes and spl  (Read 5889 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Amp sizes and spl
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »

As well as -6dB for a doubling of distance, another great thing to remember is -20dB for a tenfold change in distance.
There are a few simple math things that audio guys need to know BY HEART and should be able to figure out to at least "close enough" .

If is not important to carry out to a couple of decimal places-I would argue that if you are within a dB or 2 of the "quick math" (as Art pointed out) it is not worth arguing about.

Just to add some more of the "quick math" things I use all the time.

100 watt=20dB    1000 watts=30dB.

So let's say that you have a 800 watt amp and you want to know how much gain it has.

You know that 1000 watts is 30dB and half of that is 500 watts (-3dB) is 27dB.  And since the scale is not linear it is a bit "weighted"  so 800 watts will be a dB or so less than 1000 watts but a good bit more than 500 watts.

The correct answer is 1.1dB less-but I would accept an answer of "around 29dB".  Beyond that it is not worth arguing about.

If you can't figure out this in your head QUICKLY-you need to go back to school-sorry.

This is NOT that hard-with a little basic understanding.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

To be honest-a lot of us go by "gut feel and experience-backed up with some knowledge of what is happening dynamic wise and limiting wise" along with a large grain of salt----------

A large grain of salt, also known as a salt lick.

Attached is a photo of a pallet of 20KG salt licks...
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 25 queries.