ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 Questions / possible failure  (Read 2108 times)

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
x32 Questions / possible failure
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »

Was contracted for a small local festival last weekend; my client had purchased a new x32 and two of the s16 stage boxes. everything went well during setup, and the s16 boxes worked perfectly for sends and appeared to configure correctly for 32 inputs with 16 outputs, this was using only the AES50 port A for communicating. (A second piece of belden tactical cat5/6 was in the trench just in case.)

All outputs worked perfectly, both for FOH and monitors on both of the S16's. the desk was configured to have inputs 1-24 from stage and 25-32 local. The inputs from the second s16 however were completely useless... No matter what the setting on the head or the desk. I could control the headamp gain and phantom power from the desk, see the levels on the headamp meter and monitor it on the phones, however there was no setting that would patch the input to the actual input channels.

IE: mic plugged into channel 17, stage box configured correctly, inputs 17-24 in the routing tab are selected as AES50 A 17-24, channel 17 selected on the desk, gain control on the desk affects the head amp gain for stagebox 2, input 1 (ch17).

I even tried using our second piece of data line to use AES50 B and tried to configure the box that way.... still no help.

(my client rented a copper snake to get through the festival.. from me.)

There were even more problems with the desk on the last night of the festival....

During the last two acts (thankfully dj's) the input faders on the control surface quit affecting the audio... I had DCA's on the inputs and was able to use those, but none of the input faders worked at all... (As it was 2am and I'd been doing it old school and living in the FOH tent for 4 days I just lidded the desk and went to bed...)

Any ideas? (Other than taking the desk and stageboxes back and buying real gear....)
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: x32 Questions / possible failure
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »

Was contracted for a small local festival last weekend; my client had purchased a new x32 and two of the s16 stage boxes. everything went well during setup, and the s16 boxes worked perfectly for sends and appeared to configure correctly for 32 inputs with 16 outputs, this was using only the AES50 port A for communicating. (A second piece of belden tactical cat5/6 was in the trench just in case.)

All outputs worked perfectly, both for FOH and monitors on both of the S16's. the desk was configured to have inputs 1-24 from stage and 25-32 local. The inputs from the second s16 however were completely useless... No matter what the setting on the head or the desk. I could control the headamp gain and phantom power from the desk, see the levels on the headamp meter and monitor it on the phones, however there was no setting that would patch the input to the actual input channels.

IE: mic plugged into channel 17, stage box configured correctly, inputs 17-24 in the routing tab are selected as AES50 A 17-24, channel 17 selected on the desk, gain control on the desk affects the head amp gain for stagebox 2, input 1 (ch17).

I even tried using our second piece of data line to use AES50 B and tried to configure the box that way.... still no help.

(my client rented a copper snake to get through the festival.. from me.)

There were even more problems with the desk on the last night of the festival....

During the last two acts (thankfully dj's) the input faders on the control surface quit affecting the audio... I had DCA's on the inputs and was able to use those, but none of the input faders worked at all... (As it was 2am and I'd been doing it old school and living in the FOH tent for 4 days I just lidded the desk and went to bed...)

Any ideas? (Other than taking the desk and stageboxes back and buying real gear....)

Was this system connected and verified prior to field deployment?  Hint:  it's almost certainly a configuration issue.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »

Was this system connected and verified prior to field deployment?  Hint:  it's almost certainly a configuration issue.

Nope, I agree, and that's what I told the client. They bid a bit bigger than they were ready for, and the needed equipment did not arrive to the shop, but directly to site.

I had never operated an x32, and they were well aware of that fact. It didn't slow me down, and once the extra channels were available we got going nicely for the last two days.

I'm more concerned about the loss of fader control on sunday night....

Thanks.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »

I had a similar thing happen the first time I hooked up an S16 in the shop. Exactly your symptoms.

Turned out that I was using an Ethernet cable with only 6 conductors instead of 8. Replacing that solved the problem.

Your last quoted paragraph seems to throw water on my comment, but who knows?

Good luck.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.