ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Tripping Dimmer Breakers  (Read 14946 times)

Josh Daws

Re: Help With Tripping Dimmer Breakers
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »

has anyone considered de-rating?? a TBH im a little out of practice here as i've hadn't had to deal with this and electrical isn't my forte, but i have been taught by electricians when ive done installations and larger live event setups is to not load up more than around 80-90% of your max allowance to allow for de-rating...

for example i have a 16AWG 100ft AC cable connected to a 575w Source 4. the actual power because of distance maybe close to 650w as the current required to operate at 575w @ 120v is actually more.

but you should never load your circuit to near max.

if someone more qualified reads this and if my information is misleading or wrong, please feel free to educate me, and correct me!...

Josh Daws

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »

and this would also confirm tom's theory as well about have more wattage on the line...

Don Lomonaco CFCRC

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »

Wiring?

Tracking back wiring I've learned that the wires used are 600 volt/12AWG.  If I'm reading the letters on the wire correctly.  They can be seen in the photo I posted.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:36:28 PM by Don Lomonaco CFCRC »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »

has anyone considered de-rating?? a TBH im a little out of practice here as i've hadn't had to deal with this and electrical isn't my forte, but i have been taught by electricians when ive done installations and larger live event setups is to not load up more than around 80-90% of your max allowance to allow for de-rating...

for example i have a 16AWG 100ft AC cable connected to a 575w Source 4. the actual power because of distance maybe close to 650w as the current required to operate at 575w @ 120v is actually more.

but you should never load your circuit to near max.

if someone more qualified reads this and if my information is misleading or wrong, please feel free to educate me, and correct me!...
Standard thermal magnetic breakers need to be de-rated - such as in a general purpose service panel.  ETC uses special magnetic breakers in their dimmer racks that are designed for 100% duty cycle at the nameplate rating.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »

Tracking back wiring I've learned that the wires used are 600 volt/10AWG.  If I'm reading the letters on the wire correctly.  They can be seen in the photo I posted.
I'm confident that your wires are fine. 

John Fruits

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »

I don't know if this has been suggested, but have you called ETC?  They have a reputation for some of the best technical support in the industry. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Don Lomonaco CFCRC

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »

I don't know if this has been suggested, but have you called ETC?  They have a reputation for some of the best technical support in the industry.

I've exchanged emails with ETC.  Very helpful in their responses and even cc'd a local service company.  The software can be reprogrammed.  They also recommended lamping down. 

Don Lomonaco CFCRC

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

Here's a link to the thread I created on Control Booth.  http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/help-with-tripping-etc-dimmer-breakers.36014/

I think I'm going to pursue lamping down starting with 1 fixture per group of 4.  If this wattage reduction eliminates the trips than that will be the best solution.

If we want to move to a 5k dimmer we would have to buy a 230volt DRD unit because the 120volt model isn't compatible with the 5k module, upgrade the building wiring to 6AWG/600 volt/55AMP and purchase new dimmers.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:25:33 PM by Don Lomonaco CFCRC »

Don Lomonaco CFCRC

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »

Does anyone even make a 375 watt 120 volt lamp?  Or am I going to have to use a 375 watt 115 volt lamp?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »

Here's a link to the thread I created on Control Booth.  http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/help-with-tripping-etc-dimmer-breakers.36014/

I think I'm going to pursue lamping down starting with 1 fixture per group of 4.  If this wattage reduction eliminates the trips than that will be the best solution.

If we want to move to a 5k dimmer we would have to buy a 230volt DRD unit because the 120volt model isn't compatible with the 5k module, upgrade the building wiring to 6AWG/600 volt/55AMP and purchase new dimmers.
I suggest current measurement before going to extremes here - 4 575w fixtures should work, or at least be able to work with  a 90%-95% module max.  If you're way off this, something is wrong.

Rather than putting in 5KW dimmer modules (which I'm not sure are even legal without 20A branch circuit breakers which would get you back to your same problem), it seems like going to 3 fixtures per dimmer would be a better intermediate solution - if you can live with 375w bulbs instead of 575w bulbs, it would stand to reason that you should be able to live with 3@575w, depending on beam angle needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.