ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 vs 2x QL1?  (Read 6731 times)

David Hartwig

Yamaha QL5 vs 2x QL1?
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »

Hey gang,

So...I'm in love with the new Yamaha QL mixers and looking at purchasing one soon along with a rio box.

To be honest the QL5 is a bit out of my price range, and most my gigs would be handled well with the QL1.  But I'm looking to the future in hopes of larger gigs.  Which brings up the question, when/if I get there, what are the trade-offs for linking 2 QL1's vs using a single QL5??  Is there a compelling reason to go back to the ramen noddles and suffer a little now for a benefit later?

The website says they can be linked, just not sure how UI operation would be affected, or what else -
Multiple QL consoles can be cascade connected via I/O cards such as the MY16-AE to create systems that offer the high channel capacities required by larger applications. QL consoles can also be cascaded to the other Yamaha digital consoles such as CL series for broad system flexibility

Beyond the Ipad shelf, what are the trade-off's for using 2 QL1's vs a single QL5?

TIA!
David

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »

Hey gang,

So...I'm in love

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

David Hartwig

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »

Mac, thank you and corrected on my end.  Please note there's no place to enter your real name when signing up and the forum rules only state a valid email address should be used.  I do now see there's a separate post regarding real name usage, which I'm a huge fan of.  My apologies for my initial blunder.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

David Hartwig

Re: Yamaha QL5 vs 2x QL1?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »

Just curious if anyone had experience to linking these digital consoles???  Really would appreciate any insight as to how operation is handled when doing so.  I'm afraid no responses = stupid question.  Please feel free to enlighten this digital mixer newbie.  :-)  Much appreciated, thank you all!

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »

Hey gang,

So...I'm in love with the new Yamaha QL mixers and looking at purchasing one soon along with a rio box.

To be honest the QL5 is a bit out of my price range, and most my gigs would be handled well with the QL1.  But I'm looking to the future in hopes of larger gigs.  Which brings up the question, when/if I get there, what are the trade-offs for linking 2 QL1's vs using a single QL5??  Is there a compelling reason to go back to the ramen noddles and suffer a little now for a benefit later?

The website says they can be linked, just not sure how UI operation would be affected, or what else -
Beyond the Ipad shelf, what are the trade-off's for using 2 QL1's vs a single QL5?

TIA!
David

I can only speak for myself here, but as a BE I'm not going to be particularly interested in mixing on a pair of linked consoles.  If I need the larger surface for the act, I need the larger surface - not a pair of consoles linked to fake it.

But if you're not worried about meeting riders and the linking thing works for what you're trying to do, go for it.

And even if you are planning to meet riders, I would only spring for the higher-end mixer if it's going to keep busy and pay for itself; otherwise it probably makes more sense to rent the larger desk when you need one.

I don't have any experience trying to link these desks, but my experience mixing on both (CL5 and QL5) has been very positive.  Very nice desks - I prefer the CL for the extra knobs (especially since it has 12 EQ knobs instead of 3), but the QL is great aside from that.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »

Hey gang,

TIA!
David

Hey gang,

TIA!
David

I am not sure about linking QLs, but call Yamaha commercial if that is something you need to know about.

Based on your comments, I would buy a QL1 and a rio1608 now- and a MY8AD-24 card for 1/4" line inputs in desk.  You can still mix 32 mic + 8 stereo on QL1. If you need a QL5 in future, you can use the port to port and use the QL1 as another rio + as a monitor desk.

If you use an iPad, you can spill out your DCAs to the iPad and have the console's 16 faders all inputs. 

I just got a QL in last week and it is really nice, the Dante, Dugan and Neve were all nice features.

With the touch and turn I was not missing the EQ knobs myself for my needs, which are not A level, mostly talking heads and churches.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.