ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fiber for CL5  (Read 6358 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Fiber for CL5
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »

Is there an industry preference of single mode vs multimode?

In the video industry it is almost all SM because that is required for HDSDI 3G video. For dedicated audio networks with some data traffic there is no reason to spend more for SM fiber and GBICs. We use well under the 1GB limit of relatively low cost switches, so MM fiber is fine up to around 1000m.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »

The current IT industry preference is for single mode because it carries more data longer distances. Of course those people aren't coiling their cables up every night.  I use multimode because its a thicker piece of fiber ( hey for portable service a few extra microns can't hurt right? ) and more importantly the regional 800 lbs gorilla rental house has a good supply of multimode tac fiber in stock with Opticalcons installed.  I have no idea if multimode really is more robust than single mode for portable service but  I do know that I have no need to build my inventory around the very occasional need to run more than half a kilometer.  When that happens I expect I'll be hopping onto someone else's infrastructure and I'll build the price of the conversion into the job.

Multimode and Single Mode cable require different lasers to drive.  It may just be they are called single mode due to the higher output and different wavelength used in long distance transmission.  I have never tried to mix.

I have never understood why audio gear builds the transceivers into the equipment.  The cheapest Ethernet switch has SFP sockets that accept Small Form Factor Pluggable interfaces.  You can get copper, single or multi mode.  That way you can easily accommodate any physical layer.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

It may just be they are called single mode due to the higher output and different wavelength used in long distance transmission.

You cannot mix SM with MM, they use different wavelengths, and while MM fiber is either 62µ or 50µ, SM is only 9µ across.

The name comes from the "modes" of light in the fiber. SM is very thin and uses long wavelengths, so there are no reflections in the fiber, so only 1 "mode". Multimode fiber is much fatter, uses shorter wavelengths, and allows reflections, which produce multiple "modes" and reduces maximum bandwidth because of the multiple arrival times.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »

Mac yes that's right you jarred some synapses loose.  Optical, like AF and RF produces hetrodyne products producing primary and incident paths.

A poorly mated connection can produce reflections of greater amplitude than the fundamental carrier.

Which brings up a point.  Optical is not designed for repeated connection and disconnection.  Even with the shuttered connections you should at least blow them out.  Cleaning of the mating surfaces is usually a requirement.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »

If it was me I'd setup to use what I can easily rent in my market (assuming you don't have defined needs for the distance of single mode).

If you want to be able to cross utilize with video get single.

If you have venues you work at where there is dry fiber you would like to use then setup for that.

If you're still not sure, then setup for both with additional gbics and appropriate jumpers to get to your rack panel.  I wouldn't tie directly to the equipment, the pass-through connections on your rack panels are much easier and cheaper to replace.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.