ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EWI Active DI box and other questions for Audiopile order...  (Read 12896 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: EWI Active DI box and other questions for Audiopile order...
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »

Tommy - for us the 50' works great as when we provide PA, it's usually a small bar. Even for rehearsal, it cleans things up dramatically. If you can go for longer, great; the 75' is $22 more than the 50' and that extra 25 feet will come in handy, especially at a HOW.  If you can get the 8x4 vs. the 8, great, but only you know what your needs are, but for 100', $209 is a pretty good price...

If you run out of inputs on the 8 channel snake, that can still be used as a sub snake to get channels across the stage, for back line, etc. I could see getting another Audiopile snake, and would next time get an 8x4 100' as at some places, the 50' is too short when you have to route it around various things...

On the Patch snakes, it's the same cable, but terminated in XLRs vs. a stage box.  Probably more of a personal preference. If you're thinking 30', I'd recommend 50' as being able to move the snake out of the way a few feet can be a real help.

David Parker

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »

Yeah, I'd thought about that too. The fan to fan ones are quite a bit cheaper. How well do they hold up? I would say that for 90% of the stuff we do a 15ft fan to fan would work well and 30ft would probably do everything we need. And most of the times we've needed longer cables it's been a situation where our PA was too small for the job.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk
you would want a fan-fan if you were connecting some DI boxes on the other end, or some other situation where you would have to add a cable to a stage box to connect whatever. If you are plugging mic cables in, spend the extra and get the stage box.

Rob Gow

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »

Don't know if you are still looking....

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221511676692

Radial J48 Active Direct Box

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »

Don't know if you are still looking....

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221511676692

Radial J48 Active Direct Box
Got it on my watch list. Unfortunately the seller has no feedback so I'm a little wary of it, but we'll see. It is a nice price if it doesn't go up anymore.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:40 PM »

you would want a fan-fan if you were connecting some DI boxes on the other end, or some other situation where you would have to add a cable to a stage box to connect whatever. If you are plugging mic cables in, spend the extra and get the stage box.
In this case it's a mix of DIs(2-4 right at the end of the drop snake) and a few mics. I'll probably just go with a fan to fan when I get one. I might just skip the mic cables this time and get a drop snake and a new DI. That would eliminate the need for a few mic cables so buying some wouldn't be as high a priority.

George Dougherty

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »

In this case it's a mix of DIs(2-4 right at the end of the drop snake) and a few mics. I'll probably just go with a fan to fan when I get one. I might just skip the mic cables this time and get a drop snake and a new DI. That would eliminate the need for a few mic cables so buying some wouldn't be as high a priority.

For durability and ease of use, I prefer a box. I dislike having to hunt down the right cable out of the spaghetti mess and the box protects things pretty well.  Fan connectors can get beat up if you don't take really good care of them. 

If you're thinking about wired IEM, get at least an 8x4 now. I find a 50ft is long enough on most stages. 30ft often comes up short, especially if you're routing out of traffic paths.  Don't think I've ever found myself really needing longer than the 50'.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:51 AM »

For durability and ease of use, I prefer a box. I dislike having to hunt down the right cable out of the spaghetti mess and the box protects things pretty well.  Fan connectors can get beat up if you don't take really good care of them. 

If you're thinking about wired IEM, get at least an 8x4 now. I find a 50ft is long enough on most stages. 30ft often comes up short, especially if you're routing out of traffic paths.  Don't think I've ever found myself really needing longer than the 50'.

For some gigs I use both a sub snake and a fan snake. I have a 10' 8ch fan snake labeled for a drum kit. I plug it into a stage box near the kit (might be a sub snake ) and then I can have all labeled ends right where I need em and use 10' cables on the mics or in the case of miniature mics with captive cables, plug em right in.

I have 3 sub snakes, 2 are 50' and the other is 35'. I bring the right ones for the stage layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Parker

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »

I used a fan to fan snake when I was using separate snakes for mic inputs and mixer outputs.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:33 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I just put in an order with Audiopile for the drop snake(decided on a 50ft 8 channel fan to fan) and a few odd adapters I've been needing for my kit, and an order with Full Compass for the Pro48. Spent a little more than I'd planned on but I'm sure it's worth it.

Have a great week,
Tommy

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »

Got all the stuff I ordered in and used it last night for the first time. Love the Pro48; the bass sounds MUCH better. The sub snake also helped clean the stage up and get the cables out of the walk ways on stage.

Before:

After:

I didn't get one of the front of the stage showing where the snake was routed but I had it running along that low wall on the left side of the 3rd pic and around the front of the stage to behind the communion table instead of through the middle of the stage where the musicians walk all the time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.