ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EWI Active DI box and other questions for Audiopile order...  (Read 12895 times)

Darin Ulmer

Re: EWI Active DI box and other questions for Audiopile order...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »

I've used both types of Audiopile cables and never had a problem.  We have a number of the active DI's and have never had a problem with them or the passive ones either.  For a general purpose DI they work very well and are built very solidly.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I'll pick up a Pro48 and some Starline 25ft cables with the intention of getting another Pro48 down the road.

Have a great weekend,
Tommy

Tomm Williams

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »

Have a number of their cables and both active and passive DI's..........no issues.

George Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I'll pick up a Pro48 and some Starline 25ft cables with the intention of getting another Pro48 down the road.

Have a great weekend,
Tommy

Think in the long run you'd be happier with the premium.  The EWI female ends tend to stick a little in non-neutrik male xlr jacks (Behringer X32 and ADA8000, I'm looking at you). 

For ~8 more per cable in your 25ft length you get heavier gauge conductors, tighter braid, better jacketing (Neoprene instead of PVC) and much better connectors.  You'd pay about that difference retrofitting them with the better Neutrik ends if you wanted to down the road.  The premium stays much nicer in colder weather.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »

Tommy - have had no issues with the Audiopile mic cables I've bought from them. I also have a 50' EWI 8 channel snake that helps clean up stages for those times you do need more length and don't want to have 8 mic cables strewn all over. Bought to Male XLR-XLR adapters and two female XLR-TRS adapters, and now two channels of the snake can be used for monitor sends, further cleaning up stage or rehearsal spaces.

their Snakes are a good value and if its for light duty like your church band, should last a long time if cared for.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Tommy - we use the audiopile active DI as our stock DI... General purpose....  We have yet to have any issues.   I did remove the batteries so that they require phantom power.  Otherwise we would forget, and a battery would eventually explode....

George Dougherty

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

Tommy - have had no issues with the Audiopile mic cables I've bought from them. I also have a 50' EWI 8 channel snake that helps clean up stages for those times you do need more length and don't want to have 8 mic cables strewn all over. Bought to Male XLR-XLR adapters and two female XLR-TRS adapters, and now two channels of the snake can be used for monitor sends, further cleaning up stage or rehearsal spaces.

their Snakes are a good value and if its for light duty like your church band, should last a long time if cared for.

Huge +1 on the use of subsnakes.  IMO, you're better off having a handful of subsnakes and shorter mic cables.  I regularly use 2-3. 1-2 8x4 up front and a 12x4 at the kit.  The vast majority of my cables are then 10ft and 20ft. 

It's much easier to trace and deal with one thick bundle that's clearly labeled on either end along with short cables than a pile of longer mic cables.  It drives me up the wall when I show up and a soundco has 24 long mic runs all over the stage back to the main snake head.  If somebody plugs one in  wrong and you're not sure where it terminates, it takes longer to hand-follow through the tangles back to the snake head.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »

Huge +1 on the use of subsnakes.  IMO, you're better off having a handful of subsnakes and shorter mic cables.  I regularly use 2-3. 1-2 8x4 up front and a 12x4 at the kit.  The vast majority of my cables are then 10ft and 20ft. 

It's much easier to trace and deal with one thick bundle that's clearly labeled on either end along with short cables than a pile of longer mic cables.  It drives me up the wall when I show up and a soundco has 24 long mic runs all over the stage back to the main snake head.  If somebody plugs one in  wrong and you're not sure where it terminates, it takes longer to hand-follow through the tangles back to the snake head.
Funny y'all should mention subsnakes. I was looking at them on Audiopile the other day when I made this post and thought an 8-ch would be really nice for the front of the stage for our normal setup. I've always got 5 or 6 mic cables running from the stage box(by the drum set, near the back) to the front of the stage for vocals, keys, and acoustic guitar. This isn't a very long run(maybe 10ft) but it would be nice to have 1 cable instead of 5+; it will be even more helpful if we switch to wired IEMs later this year like we're talking about. Probably won't be getting one now, but it's on the short list for future purchases. Is a 50ft a good length or would shorter/longer work better?

David Parker

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »

Funny y'all should mention subsnakes. I was looking at them on Audiopile the other day when I made this post and thought an 8-ch would be really nice for the front of the stage for our normal setup. I've always got 5 or 6 mic cables running from the stage box(by the drum set, near the back) to the front of the stage for vocals, keys, and acoustic guitar. This isn't a very long run(maybe 10ft) but it would be nice to have 1 cable instead of 5+; it will be even more helpful if we switch to wired IEMs later this year like we're talking about. Probably won't be getting one now, but it's on the short list for future purchases. Is a 50ft a good length or would shorter/longer work better?

depending on your intended use, sometimes a subsnake with a fan on both ends is better than one with a box/fan. audiopile has both.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »

depending on your intended use, sometimes a subsnake with a fan on both ends is better than one with a box/fan. audiopile has both.
Yeah, I'd thought about that too. The fan to fan ones are quite a bit cheaper. How well do they hold up? I would say that for 90% of the stuff we do a 15ft fan to fan would work well and 30ft would probably do everything we need. And most of the times we've needed longer cables it's been a situation where our PA was too small for the job.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.