ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TS to XLRM cable wiring  (Read 1520 times)

Mark McFarlane

TS to XLRM cable wiring
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »

I was building a cable today to connect an unbalanced drum brain (TD-10W) to the input of a console about 3 feet away (rehearsal space)    

I went to Rane 110 http://www.rane.com/note110.html by habit and was somewhat surprised for this scenario that they suggested connecting the TS sleeve to 3 on the XLR (example 13), and to connect the shield on the XLR end to 1 and leave it open on the TS end.  My gut feeling was to connect the TS sleeve to 1 on the XLR.

Standard practice?  Is this how commercial TS-XLR cables are typically wired? Any downsides?

FWIW, I ended up using an Ebtech 1:1 transformer between the TD-10 and console since I had a 2-channel version lying around and I needed the transformer anyway to remove hum from the output of console feeding a PM-30 drum monitor.
Mark McFarlane

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: TS to XLRM cable wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

I would typically ground pin 3, as it says in the Rane guide, but personally I would keep the shield intact throughout. I'd venture a guess and say that any commercially available adapter cable will have the shield connected on both sides, unlike what Rane recommends.

FWIW, a standard DI is the correct solution to this problem, in my opinion.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »

#13 is the technical correct way to wire it.  It shouldn't hurt any to connect the ground wire, but that could result in a source of ground loops.  Or, it could solve them as well. :)  Best method is to use a balance transformer.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.