ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Fires?  (Read 12311 times)

Jim Coleman

Re: Speaker Fires?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 04:35:19 AM »

http://youtu.be/rHj4zeH8XqE

Yep Ryan.  That was my gig. 

It was caused by a recent recone failure.  The surround partially tore, and the voice coil jumped the gap.  The result was all that energy going to the voice coil turned into heat.  The cone merely smoldered a bit.  What actually caught on fire was the foam glued to the steel grill of the cabinet.   

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »

Yep Ryan.  That was my gig. 

It was caused by a recent recone failure.  The surround partially tore, and the voice coil jumped the gap.  The result was all that energy going to the voice coil turned into heat.  The cone merely smoldered a bit.  What actually caught on fire was the foam glued to the steel grill of the cabinet.

I left out names to protect the innocent.  Lol

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »

Now this thread is getting interesting!

duane massey

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »

I personally witnessed several speaker fires back in the 70's. Crown DC300's were notorious for dumping DC into the outputs, as were Phase Linear and early BGW's I remember one speactacular event in a club (a disco) with GLI speakers powered by BGW 750's. The DJ decided to fix the system (it wasn't loud enough) by removing the crossovers from the boxes and tying the amplifier out[puts together (NOT bridged, just hardwired). The first night after his modifications I was running the lights and suddenly saw a bouncer running for the dance floor with a fire extinguisher. At that same moment we all smelled the burning stench, and I ran down to the dance floor. Speakers were 15' in the air, so the bouncer was spraying foam all over the ceiling, lights, and patrons. They got the fires out (there were 3) and continued thru the night at a greatly reduced volume. The DJ was not seen again in that club.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 07:35:40 AM »

I personally witnessed several speaker fires back in the 70's. Crown DC300's were notorious for dumping DC into the outputs, as were Phase Linear and early BGW's I remember one speactacular event in a club (a disco) with GLI speakers powered by BGW 750's. The DJ decided to fix the system (it wasn't loud enough) by removing the crossovers from the boxes and tying the amplifier out[puts together (NOT bridged, just hardwired). The first night after his modifications I was running the lights and suddenly saw a bouncer running for the dance floor with a fire extinguisher. At that same moment we all smelled the burning stench, and I ran down to the dance floor. Speakers were 15' in the air, so the bouncer was spraying foam all over the ceiling, lights, and patrons. They got the fires out (there were 3) and continued thru the night at a greatly reduced volume. The DJ was not seen again in that club.
Well everybody knows that DJs KNOW sound-RIGHT????????????????????

I just wonder these people get the ideas or guts to try those things------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »

Well everybody knows that DJs KNOW sound-RIGHT????????????????????

I just wonder these people get the ideas or guts to try those things------------

I'm a DJ who knows sound fairly well, but I'm kind of an exception to the rule. I know maybe two other DJ's who have some basic knowledge, and the others I know, I would not allow to touch any of my gear  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.