ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL MPro 412  (Read 10429 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
JBL MPro 412
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »

Craigslist ad : Pair of  JBL MPro 412  $600.

Yes?  No?    If, yes, then best use, tops for small rig, center fills or monitors or all of the above?   I have the specs, just want some real world opinions.

Just to keep the right perspective, I don't need any more speakers at the moment but if they were a great deal,and they look like new in the photos ; I might find a use for them.

Edited for additional info.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:44:52 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: JBL MPro 412
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »

Yes?  No?    If, yes, then best use, tops for small rig, center fills or monitors or all of the above?   I have the specs, just want some real world opinions.

It's difficult for us to give you a yes or no, sight unseen with no details. Depends

Back in the day those were OK speakers. Monitors or tops

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »

I know a guy that buys up M-Pros and old Community boxes, he swears by them for situations where he doesn't want to send his A level gear, or where they might not come back in one piece.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »

Bit expensive for used cabs unless they're like-new. They're like the equivalent of JRX today, the TR that was the predecessor, the entry stuff. What's the condition? Original drivers?

There's the Yamaha CM12V if you're looking for an alternative that has same build quality as the MP400 series was not in carpet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:00:32 PM by Thomas Le »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »

Scott,
Don't buy the Mpro's, the entire line is junk. Save your money until you have about $600 per cabinet and then you can move up into the better JBL cabinet lines.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »

Bit expensive for used cabs unless they're like-new. They're like the equivalent of JRX today, the TR that was the predecessor, the entry stuff. What's the condition? Original drivers?

There's the Yamaha CM12V if you're looking for an alternative that has same build quality as the MP400 series was not in carpet.

You must be thinking of the MPro 200 series. Those were not so good. The 400 series wasn't too bad. Had a 2406H HF driver. I would say those are much better the HF in the JRX line

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »

You must be thinking of the MPro 200 series. Those were not so good. The 400 series wasn't too bad. Had a 2406H HF driver. I would say those are much better the HF in the JRX line

This, I was under the assumption that the M-Pro 400 series was the precursor to MRX500.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »

This, I was under the assumption that the M-Pro 400 series was the precursor to MRX500.

The MRX500 series had different components than the MPro series

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »

The MRX500 series had different components than the MPro series

I'm talking from a marketing perspective, I know quite well just from lifting them that the M-Pros had different components than MRX.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »

What he said!  The 400 series was way, way above the JRX, SF, TR series. They were certainly NOT the entry level line as the SF was being sold at the same time.  Even the 200 was a step above those.  I've used all of those lines, and my Mpro 415's were a very good mid-line speaker.  I used them for tops above my 4719's and had no complaints at all.  The band I'm with now used to use them for monitors (they went with the previous BE when he retired - he actually owns my old ones as well).  They kick the snot out of what they're using now.

$600 is high for used 12's.  I paid $900 new for my 15's as display models.  Look on feeBay and you'll see these are hardly ever listed.  That means the folks who own them, like them.  If they're clean, offer $400 and see where it goes.

FWIW, I got perfectly acceptable bar band sound out of the TR & SF lines.  There are certainly far worse cabinets out there than those bottom feeding JBL's.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:56:34 PM by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »

Mpro and JRX cabinets are not mid line cabinets.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »

Mpro and JRX cabinets are not mid line cabinets.

No one said the JRX was.  But the Mpro 400 was 2 steps above the SF (now JRX) and 1 step below SR so what would you call them?

Keeping in mind that SR/SRX is top of the "portable" line.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:54:11 PM by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

The JBL MPro 412s are good speakers and well worth $600.00 a pair if in good shape with original speakers.  I had a pair for years that I replaced with SRX 712s.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 02:43:21 AM »

No one said the JRX was.  But the Mpro 400 was 2 steps above the SF (now JRX) and 1 step below SR so what would you call them?

Keeping in mind that SR/SRX is top of the "portable" line.

A decent entry level cabinet. The stars of the group would be the 15" and 18" sub that uses the 2241.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »

Just to keep the right perspective, I don't need any more speakers at the moment but if they were a great deal,and they look like new in the photos ; I might find a use for them.

Edited for additional info.

only if they are in EXCELLENT condition, should be more like $500 for the pair. As someone said, the MPro 400 series was replaced by the MRX, the MPro 200 series is different animal and not in a good way. I own (6) MPro 415s and do like them. I've used them for tops and monitors. They are good for the appropriate application. I use my SRX/STX for the more serious stuff.

I have a pair of MRX512 in excellent condition, $600 would be the price I'd be asking if I were selling, so for the MPro412 its a little high.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »

I have a couple of mpro 415's and they rock for pre recorded music but I wish they were srx712's for monitor duty
Banning CA,

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »

I ran across some Mpro 412's at a fair today. 2 for mains, 2 for monitors. Talent show with backing tracks plus some acts with acoustic guitars/keyboards/DI bass etc. No drums. I thought that even though they were being driven by a behringer 8 channel powered head mixer that they sounded pretty good. The mixer had 250 watts available for the mains with the same for the monitors. They filled the 50 wide , 40 deep room (aprox) fine. I'll post a picture from when I was in the room before.

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 07:42:36 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like they're good cabinets but not a steal and perhaps bordering on being outdated?  I was hoping maybe they were a real steal and I'd have a reason to add them to replace my tops  in my small system or for extra monitor duty.

Found out the wife took all my petty cash stash to pay some bills so I guess I'm out of this deal anyway now as it doesn't seem to be worth borrowing money for.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

I had 3 pairs of mp412. Liked them a lot and swear by them. Recently replaced them with ev sx300 not that the ev is any superior but because it's still in production and I can buy as many as I need and I can get parts (esp the HF diaphragms easily)
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

www.kooleventug.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.