ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressor  (Read 3487 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Compressor
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »

Do any of you guys ever use a compressor on an insert for your vocal channels? My little Yamaha EMX312SC has compression on 4 channels, and I find that it helps bring the vocals out a bit over the backing tracks we use, but my Soundcraft EFX8 doesn't have compressors. I have an old Aphex 108 that I was thinking about inserting on our two vocal channels – good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks,

Bob

Mark McFarlane

Re: Compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »

I'm not familiar with the Aphex, but I typically use compressors on individual vocal mics as well as one across the vocal bus.  Initially both are  set for mild compression (1.4ish) and just taming the peaks with no makeup gain, then I may adjust ratio and threshold as the night goes on as needed.
Mark McFarlane

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:19 AM »

Thanks Mark. That 108 is discontinued, but here are the specs:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/aphex_108_easyrider_auto_compressor_with_free_108.html

I'll hook it up and try it. Have to get another insert cable first.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:46 AM »

Do any of you guys ever use a compressor on an insert for your vocal channels? My little Yamaha EMX312SC has compression on 4 channels, and I find that it helps bring the vocals out a bit over the backing tracks we use, but my Soundcraft EFX8 doesn't have compressors. I have an old Aphex 108 that I was thinking about inserting on our two vocal channels – good idea? Bad idea?

The technique is common enough that Yammi thought to build them into that model of desk, so in the general sense, yes people do it all the time.
Not familiar with that exact model of comp but should be worth a try.
One thing to be careful of is using lots of compression when you're using that same channel to feed artists monitors. If they are actively trying to sing louder but the compressor squashes them, they can end up trying too hard and straining their voice, not to mention getting very frustrated at not hearing what they want. Also, of you compress too much then the make-up gain you would typically use to restore average levels can push a system cloer to feedback.
Mark's points about using mild compression with no make up gain will help mitigate both these complications.

HTH,
David.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »

Thanks for the tips David.

I have another question. Actually, I have about a thousand, but I don't want to amuse everyone with my ignorance. I am using a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer live.

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=148

Currently, I use the master Mix outputs, one to one side of my GEQ then into my QSC PLX1804 for the mains, the other to the other channel of the GEQ to PLX1804 to the monitors. I did this to try to get my monitor mix as close to the main mix as I could, but would I benefit from using the Aux Out as a monitor send instead of the Main Mix Out? I do like having my mains master fader independent of the monitor fader.

Am I doing this incorrectly?

Thanks,

Bob
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:58:36 AM by Bob Burke »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »

If you intend on compressing vocals please try to use as little compression as possible. Too much compression will take the feel of the vocal away. In other words, softer passes no longer reflect the emotion of the song. You also increase the probability of feedback as the amount of compression increases. A little goes a long way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:06:53 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »

Thanks Bob. I'm re-thinking the compression idea. I have enough trouble with feedback already! ;D

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »

If you intend on compressing vocals please try to use as little compression as possible.

In fact, it's better used as a limiter rather than a compressor.

Steve.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »

Thanks for the tips David.

I have another question. Actually, I have about a thousand, but I don't want to amuse everyone with my ignorance. I am using a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer live.

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=148

Currently, I use the master Mix outputs, one to one side of my GEQ then into my QSC PLX1804 for the mains, the other to the other channel of the GEQ to PLX1804 to the monitors. I did this to try to get my monitor mix as close to the main mix as I could, but would I benefit from using the Aux Out as a monitor send instead of the Main Mix Out? I do like having my mains master fader independent of the monitor fader.

Am I doing this incorrectly?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob - no worries on asking questions - this is how most of us (including me) got started.

In general, you don't want your monitors to mirror what your main speakers are doing - you want the monitors to allow you to hear best what you need to perform better. For some, that may be more vocals; for others, more keys, etc.

By using The Aux send and monitor out for your monitor, you can ensure that you get the right levels. Also with monitor sends and your board, this can be pre-fader, so that if you need to adjust levels in the mains, you can still hear yourself in the monitors.

I'd try it out and see how you like it.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

Thanks Bob. I'm re-thinking the compression idea. I have enough trouble with feedback already! ;D

No use being afraid to use SOME compression as folks have said.
The adage "if a little is good, more is better" should be ignored.

Reiterating what others have said:

- A little bit can make things much better.
- Try to keep it out of the monitors
- A lot of folks don't really understand make-up gain, end up using too much for the wrong reason, and end up with the feedback. 
- If you can hear the effects of the compression, you've probably used too much.

A tool, like any other, that you have to learn to use.

Learn to use it.  It can be your friend.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.