ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alto SXM112a or TS110a for stage wedge monitor?  (Read 2873 times)

Richard Penrose

Alto SXM112a or TS110a for stage wedge monitor?
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with both of the Alto SXM112a and TS110a speakers as wedge monitors?

I'm looking to buy one of these to use with my small acoustic gig pa (Alto TS112a and Allen & Heath ZED 10fx).

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Alto SXM112a or TS110a for stage wedge monitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »

I think you'll appreciate the coaxial arrangement SXM112a.  There's a noticeable difference between separated low/high drivers and coaxial ones when listening from a few feet as in the case with a monitor.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:35 AM »

I've managed to get hold of one each to try over the weekend. Will report back soon!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:15:03 AM »

If you do a search you'll find a lot of discussion on the Alto monitor.  I'v never used one, but the general perception seems to be they are a very good value monitor.
Mark McFarlane

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

If you do a search you'll find a lot of discussion on the Alto monitor.  I'v never used one, but the general perception seems to be they are a very good value monitor.

We purchased 8 x Sxm112A for monitor duty this year. And have mostly been very satisfied!

issue being we got 3 units that did not work well, a problem which I have seen repeated with the TS112A also around here. As soon as you connect a source to the input (could be XLR/TS/TRS) the speaker starts buzzing. This has happened on 2 of the 8 units we had.

I really have failed to find the problem, but it seems it has something to do with the ground lift switch across all the active models. Lifting ground only makes it much worse.

In another unit, engaging the ground switch would cause the output of the speaker to drop substantially.

None the less, the faulty units have been returned, awaiting replacements. And the ones that work we are very happy with.
My RTA is always flat.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »

Both arrived earlier today and I've done a very quick plug and play with some recorded music on my iPod. So far I was quite surprised to hear how much bass the TS110a puts out compared to the SXM112a. I fully expected the larger driver to have more bottom end but that isn't the case! The TS 110a is also capable of going noticeably louder without the limiter flicker at all with the playback material I played through it! Both sounded very clear. Looking forward to trying these out on pa duties this weekend!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »

I ended up using the TS110a on a jazz gig tonight and on first impressions I really like it. Everything sounded lovely and clear with surprising bottom end. Didn't have a chance to try the SXM 112a as the setup and soundcheck was extremely tight! So far I would be very happy to settle with the TS110a. However, I've not given the SXM112a a try on a gig.
Should get plenty of opportunity over the weekend though :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.