ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hosa Brand Quality (Stage Snake)  (Read 9130 times)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Hosa Brand Quality (Stage Snake)
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »

I almost purchased a Hosa Little Bro SH 6x2 stage snake on Sweetwater (link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleBro6x230/), but paused after doing a search here.  I learned that Hosa has a reputation for poor quality with a number of PSW members.  Many of the posts are at least a couple of years old, so does Hosa still maintain such a bad reputation?  If so, I'll probably go with either the EWI PSX-8-30 (or PSX-8-30-N) or Whirlwind Mini 6 drop snake.  Any thoughts on those two?

Sammy Barr

Re: Hosa Brand Quality (Stage Snake)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »

I almost purchased a Hosa Little Bro SH 6x2 stage snake on Sweetwater (link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleBro6x230/), but paused after doing a search here.  I learned that Hosa has a reputation for poor quality with a number of PSW members.  Many of the posts are at least a couple of years old, so does Hosa still maintain such a bad reputation?  If so, I'll probably go with either the EWI PSX-8-30 (or PSX-8-30-N) or Whirlwind Mini 6 drop snake.  Any thoughts on those two?

I have both the six and 8 channel model.  They are not as durable as the others you have mentioned.  I have had to solder and replace some xlr's from light use. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »

Hosa isn't as bad as they were in the past.  Still, I'd use their cabling for fixed studio/install use, not stage.  EWI is pretty rugged and good for the money.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »

HOSA mic cables with the REAN/Neutriks held up surprisingly well, albeit somewhat expensive. If it's permanent, then it would be OK. Otherwise step up to the Pro Co/whirlwind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:36:47 PM »

I have the Whirlwind and it is top quality.  Yeah it cost more but why skimp on something you buy once.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »

I have the Little Bro that was bought early in the 2000's used a couple of times and retired. It is not really a bad piece but I never really put it to hard stage use. I think a lot of Hosa's bad reputation is based on the items with molded plugs that can't be fixed or even examined. I think the Little Bro would be fine for a band taking care of its own stuff.

But with that said, it is not a big jump in price to the EWI but a giant jump in quality. All my personal snakes currently in use are the EWI and they have been bullet proof for my. I have lost 1 channel out of about 120 (on various snakes) and that was due to volunteer help pinching the cable end in a trunk.

Another jump takes you to the Whirlwind which are VERY common on big stages/established venues. That is what I have at my house gig. Never had a problem there. As a matter of fact, if every new venue bought two, I would bet that more than 90
% of them outlive the venues.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »

HOSA mic cables with the REAN/Neutriks held up surprisingly well, albeit somewhat expensive. If it's permanent, then it would be OK. Otherwise step up to the Pro Co/whirlwind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The words "Hosa" and "expensive" have never been used by me to refer to the same product.  Hosa has been shit.  I don't know if they still are, I quit buying their stuff years ago.

Cheap shit.  Buy Rapco/Horizon, EWI, CBI, etc.   Buy once, cry once.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »

I don't like the XLRs that Hosa uses... the little set-screw falls out and gets lost, and then the plug comes apart.

I have a couple of the CBI Drop-6 stage snakes, I haven't had any issues with them in the last 1.5 years and ~50 shows.  Speak to a CBI dealer and they can change the set-up/layout for you, I had mine built as a 3x3 (powered stage wedges and vocals)

I have a EWI as well.  Both are great products, but lately I've found myself buying more CBI than EWI cables.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

A friend of mine has one of those. It's just fair. Light duty use only. Doesn't hold up for long. I don't like the way the XLR cables come out each side. Makes the footprint too large.

CBI is much better

Thomas Le

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »

The words "Hosa" and "expensive" have never been used by me to refer to the same product.  Hosa has been shit.  I don't know if they still are, I quit buying their stuff years ago.

Cheap shit.  Buy Rapco/Horizon, EWI, CBI, etc.   Buy once, cry once.

The basis of "expensive" that I was referring to was the pricing from bestbuy (oh the irony) at $25.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hosa-technology-pro-25-microphone-cable/2404237.p?id=1218325484428&skuId=2404237&st=hosa&cp=1&lp=4

However, a quick search to B&H had it for $12, so I retract my statement of HOSA being expensive, except if people don't know where to shop in the first place (not aiming this at you Tim).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828158-REG/Hosa_Technology_HMIC_025_HMIC_025_Cable_Pro_Series.html

That said, I got the cable as a freebie from a Beta 52A I ordered from fleabay a while back.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.