ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting 8 speakers to 4 amps to 2 Graphic EQ's to one mixer.  (Read 12612 times)

Wim Strydom

Hi there,
I am managing sound for a church, and at the moment there is a slightly strange in my opinion setup going on here(regarding how everything is hooked up to each other). So due to this right and left channels are not even separate.

To much better explain everything I have attached 3 detailed diagrams, the first is a blank diagram with just all of our equipment and no connections, the second is of our current setup and the third is what I am proposing to setup, but I am really quite new to sound(found out the other day that a mic cable is called an XLR cable) so I really don't know that much but from what I've been able to gather on the internet the third diagram should work.

If anyone can give me some advice on this it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Wim Strydom

Wim Strydom

Re: Connecting 8 speakers to 4 amps to 2 Graphic EQ's to one mixer.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

I just checked online and the amps aren't XTi series, they're XTi 2 Series.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

I just checked online and the amps aren't XTi series, they're XTi 2 Series.

Why don't you just use the processing that is built into the amps?

Wim Strydom

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »

Why don't you just use the processing that is built into the amps?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that, I would like to know if the diagram labeled proposedweb.jpg would be a viable way connecting everything.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that, I would like to know if the diagram labeled proposedweb.jpg would be a viable way connecting everything.

The Crown xti2 series amps have built in DSP. Digital Signal Processing. You have EQ, crossover, time delay, limiters available.

I guess I was looking more at the speaker placement and the EQ you mentioned. From that drawing it appears you will need to time align which is built in. You could EQ each separately if needed rather then an EQ for all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:22:07 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Wim Strydom

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

The Crown xti2 series amps have built in DSP. Digital Signal Processing. You have EQ, crossover, time delay, limiters available. Might make your set up easier.

Okay thanks, I will look into that.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the way the amps are connected to the mixer, would my diagram work? If so any advice or things to keep in mind, if not then how do you suggest?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

Okay thanks, I will look into that.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the way the amps are connected to the mixer, would my diagram work? If so any advice or things to keep in mind, if not then how do you suggest?

From looking strictly at the wiring schematic,  it appears it "will work" but is it the best way to go? That would be a matter of opinion. It's hard to tell from this if it would be the best for your application.

It looks like the 2 larger speakers are pointed in the opposite direction from the others. How are the speakers used?

Wim Strydom

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »

From looking strictly at the wiring schematic,  it appears it "will work" but is it the best way to go? That would be a matter of opinion. It's hard to tell from this if it would be the best for your application.

It looks like the 2 larger speakers are pointed in the opposite direction from the others. How are the speakers used?

Ah regarding the speakers,  the first two appear larger mostly because of a sloppy drawing. They are actually monitors (JBL, JRX-100[EDIT: JRX112M]) and the other six are speakers(JBL AC-26)

Is there any more info I can give that might help? I would very much like to set this up in the best way possible.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:04:56 PM by Wim Strydom »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »

Ah regarding the speakers,  the first two appear larger mostly because of a sloppy drawing. They are actually monitors (JBL, JRX-100[EDIT: JRX112M]) and the other six are speakers(JBL AC-26)

Is there any more info I can give that might help? I would very much like to set this up in the best way possible.

Is there an issue that makes you think of changing  the current set up ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:55:43 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

How does the system perform in its present config and why do you want to change?  There's some nice, capable gear there and I would hope whoever put it in knew how to take advantage of the processing capabilities.  Given that you're unaware of the built-in DSP, I would question whether you should be digging in and re-configuring things without professional help on-site.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.