ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX Owners......  (Read 20541 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: JBL STX Owners......
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »

I bet the Limiter settings between the 2 boxes are different and that's causing the horns to pop. 

I don't know, it's hard to believe that there is that much difference between the two.  As Bob stated, they use the same driver as the later 725s and have the same power ratings.  I think there is something else going on.  I hope the OP keeps us posted-I'm curious.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »

I don't know, it's hard to believe that there is that much difference between the two.  As Bob stated, they use the same driver as the later 725s and have the same power ratings.  I think there is something else going on.  I hope the OP keeps us posted-I'm curious.

Something Interesting about the new STX... The STX825 can accept more power than the SRX725... I thought the power ratings dropped by 1/3-1/2 on the newer cabs.

SRX725:
HF: 2451H with 75 / 150 / 300 watts @8Ω
LF: 2265H with 1200 / 2400 / 4800 watts @4Ω

STX825
HF: 2453H with 75 / 150 / 300 watts @8Ω
LF: 2226H with 1600 / 3200 / 6400 watts @4Ω

The 2226H was in the SR-X 4700 with a 1,200 to 2,400 watt @4Ω
I don't see where the 2453 wasn't previously used in any JBL cabinets.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »

I had an issue with a wireless microphone that sent out an extreme "high white noise" through the system taking out three of the diaphragms at once. I originally blamed this for the first failures and replaced the diaphragms. However during the next gig, a rodeo, I lost two more.

If feedback took out 3 of your HF drivers I would have replaced all 4.  All 4 were exposed to the same amount of excessive power, the one that survived was just lucky.  I'd be willing to bet that one of the two that failed at the next gig was the one that didn't fry the first time.  Did you replace the diaphragms yourself or have an authorized repair center do it?  If one wasn't aligned properly that could have caused the second failure. 

Lance Richens

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

If feedback took out 3 of your HF drivers I would have replaced all 4.  All 4 were exposed to the same amount of excessive power, the one that survived was just lucky.  I'd be willing to bet that one of the two that failed at the next gig was the one that didn't fry the first time.  Did you replace the diaphragms yourself or have an authorized repair center do it?  If one wasn't aligned properly that could have caused the second failure.

Ding Ding Ding, you sir are correct. One of the following 2 was one of the originals. As far as alignment goes, these newer diaphragms actually fit over the driver on the edges so I don't believe there's any way to align them like with the older drivers. Could be wrong on this.
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »

Ding Ding Ding, you sir are correct. One of the following 2 was one of the originals. As far as alignment goes, these newer diaphragms actually fit over the driver on the edges so I don't believe there's any way to align them like with the older drivers. Could be wrong on this.

So to answer your original question: It appears no one else has experienced problems with theirs. Must be operator error.

Lance Richens

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »

So to answer your original question: It appears no one else has experienced problems with theirs. Must be operator error.

Yes, My main vendor had substantial inssues with The HF driver blowouts, at even the most moderate levels (consider soft BG music), and I personally managed to get 4 drivers to stop working randomly...

We even had the same issue with the 4886 line.

The issue was discussed at length with Harman, and replacement drivers after replacement drivers, and then suddenly with the last lot, bout a yr and a half ago, all has been good.

I posted here too... and got some good advise.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,143157.0.html

I personally now own 4 x STX835, and have never faced a problem.
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »

Here's a clue to the uninformed. Stop using and depending on a fucking limiter.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mohit Palesha

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 01:31:36 AM »

There are plenty of people in India having this problem with STX 825. JBL have replaced diaphragms them if recently purchased. Then JBL do the setting in customer crossover to limit the power to compression driver.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »

Then JBL do the setting in customer crossover to limit the power to compression driver.

How do you limit the power to just the compression driver ? Hogwash.

The problem with the lot here was with the pigtails coming off. Probably a QC fault line that went through. It had nothing to do with the power to the driver.
My RTA is always flat.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »

How do you limit the power to just the compression driver ? Hogwash.

The problem with the lot here was with the pigtails coming off. Probably a QC fault line that went through. It had nothing to do with the power to the driver.

Two way bi-amp box?  At least I think that is what OP is trying to say.

I would tend to believe the wiring falling off scenario.  The PRX618's with the Molex on the Neo driver do this at a regular pace.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.