ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on where to be; FOH or MONs  (Read 4258 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Looking for suggestions on where to be; FOH or MONs
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

As a Band Engineer for a band that normally uses one console, where do you choose to be? 

The Wedding/Corporate Party band I work with has a few dates throughout the year where production is provided with 2 consoles.  On our rider for this set-up we do request the production company to provide an engineer with each console (most production companies, it’s an automatic thing too). 

I handle all the tech specs & tech questions about the band.

Do I stay close with the band and mix/tweak the monitors throughout the night?
OR
Do I go to FOH and mix the band for the Audience and potential clients?

I can think of Pro's & Cons for each scenario.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Looking for suggestions on where to be; FOH or MONs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »

I have stated on here before that if I was in a touring band with just one engineer, I would rather have him on monitors.

However, without exception, my experience is that the band's engineer runs FOH.

Does the band have a preference?

Working monitors should give you enough opportunities to go out and listen to FOH and see how the other guy is doing.

Steve.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »

If you are used to and successful at running monitors from front of house, I would continue to do that regardless of what the production is providing.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »

IMHO, monitors have more effect on the audience's enjoyment of the show than the FOH mix does. A band that is comfortable on stage (everybody hears what they need and hears it well, etc.) puts on a better show than a band that is uncomfortable and struggling on stage. Unless the FOH mix is absolute crap the audience won't notice, but they'll certainly notice a band who for whatever reason is having a bad night.

Now if the music and/or instrumentation of the band is unusual, then you may have to judge the techs that show up that day and see who can cover what better.

Question: Do you really have to tweak monitors all night? Short of muting and unmuting various acoustics and occasionally chasing a loud keys patch, I rarely have to tweak much past the first song of the night. Your supplied monitor tech might be able to handle things for you by that point.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »

In the "Steam Powered" days, it was usually the band dude that did monitors, and the house (or hired in) dude that did house.
Band was usually more comfortable that way.
With ears, I would really suggest a good dial-in at sound check, then head out to the house board for the show. If there are issues during the set, a little twist and tweak during break should get it sorted.
Ears (once everyone is used to them) usually require a hell of a lot less hand-holding than a stack of wedges and side fills. A little co-operation from the band is needed to make this fly.
If you have a real prima-donna, all bets are off.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »

Go out front.  With that though, plan to spend an hour of the in onstage setting levels for each mix, ringing the mixes, and doing that type of thing.  If you can get the mixes 80% dialed in with you onstage you will leave the monitor guy with a good base line.  Otherwise, if I am doing monitors for a one off with no guidance, I drop everyone vox into their wedge, get keys to keys, and then do the rest with the band onstage.  While your onstage yacking have their FOH tech drive for you and at least get everything gained up and routed.  IF you can get the wedges close that will allow the band to tweek instead of build fresh... which will get them closer to what they need.  If you are already mixing monitors FOH regularly you should know what they need anyway. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »

The best BE's i worked with did it this way.  This assumes that the Sound Co has provided a House and Monitor guy.

First thing, work with crew to pin the stage.  Then rough in mixes with the ME [monitor engineer].  Tell the ME about any quirks with your band, etc.  At start of sound check, remain with Monitors and help ME get the mixes dialed in.  Instruct the House guy to rough in Mic Pre's and rough mix while the monitors are getting dialed in.  Once the monitors are dialed, go to FOH and mix the show.  Usually at that point any tweaks to the monitors can easily be handled by the ME.

During hasty festival gigs [read little or no sound check] i've even seen the BE stay with monitors through the first song or two until the band settles in and then come to FOH to sweeten the FOH mix.  On several occasions i've had the BE come out to FOH [my usual home], listen, and then tell me to just mix the whole show while he just hung out and got the only rest he'd had all day.  :)

obviously if you have a really chill band you might not need to do as much monitors hand holding.  or if they are insanely difficult you might have to do more.  But this general idea seems to work out well.

tl;dr:  Before the show the heavy lifting is at Monitors.  During the show the heavy lifting is at FOH.  Do the heavy lifting.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:46:07 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »

The best BE's i worked with did it this way.  This assumes that the Sound Co has provided a House and Monitor guy.

First thing, work with crew to pin the stage.  Then rough in mixes with the ME [monitor engineer].  Tell the ME about any quirks with your band, etc.  At start of sound check, remain with Monitors and help ME get the mixes dialed in.  Instruct the House guy to rough in Mic Pre's and rough mix while the monitors are getting dialed in.  Once the monitors are dialed, go to FOH and mix the show.  Usually at that point any tweaks to the monitors can easily be handled by the ME.

This is how it should be done. Another point is that there have been times when an ME is not available and I have mixed both FOH and monitors from FOH. This was not un-common in the formative years of pro sound and takes just a bit to get used to but can yield results far better than set and forget. Work on some signals with the band and all should go well, but rest assured you'll earn your pay.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:40:07 AM »

Question: Do you really have to tweak monitors all night? Short of muting and unmuting various acoustics and occasionally chasing a loud keys patch, I rarely have to tweak much past the first song of the night. Your supplied monitor tech might be able to handle things for you by that point.

Indeed.  You could actually start off on monitors and swap to FOH when the band are happy. 

I have mixed both FOH and monitors from FOH. This was not un-common in the formative years of pro sound

Around here, that's not uncommon now.

Steve.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:43:54 AM by Steve M Smith »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »

Indeed.  You could actually start off on monitors and swap to FOH when the band are happy. 

Around here, that's not uncommon now.

Steve.

I really prefer to have the band hear the monitors in relationship to FOH, so I usually rough in a monitor mix, leave that to the house or festival ME to tweak and then go do FOH. Once I am familiar with a band I can usually dial in a mix they won't hate fairly blind (even before they hit the stage). If a do have a band with specific cues for songs for monitors I will leave a cue sheet for the tech.

I have also found with festivals I tend to trust the house FOH guy more than then stage help, so I usually would oversee patching the stage and ask him to pull gains until I can get out there. With a couple exceptions, I really don't like just taking over someone else's mix because then you are kind of stuck with their idea of gain structure. At a recent festival, as I set up the mix I asked if I could hit -12 on the board output and was told no problem; however, there was obviously a compressor set with a pretty high ratio that was affecting monitors as well (from FOH actually side stage this time) that was kicking in much lower than that. It is more of a pain to find and undo things you don't want (like a compressor on an entire mix) then just to start from basics and add what you do want.

Talking with the local crew will give you an idea of where you need to focus your over sight and what you can trust to happen just by request.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.