ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro1 or Pro2 info  (Read 5559 times)

Kim Guibord

Midas Pro1 or Pro2 info
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »

Hello:

I was going to purchase a Midas M32, But because of the long awaited release & the more that I look at the M32, The more it looks like an X32 with a Midas tag on it, So I was looking into a Pro series mixer.. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated... Side note, My previous mixer was an idr32 Allen & Heath Ilive, Which had 32 actual inputs, But 64 channels of processing, Where I could use the actual first 32 inputs for F.O.H. And the remaining 32 channels of processing as a monitor desk, Just wondering if the pro series also do this.

Kyle Van Sandt

Re: Midas Pro1 or Pro2 info
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »

Hello:

I was going to purchase a Midas M32, But because of the long awaited release & the more that I look at the M32, The more it looks like an X32 with a Midas tag on it, So I was looking into a Pro series mixer.. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated... Side note, My previous mixer was an idr32 Allen & Heath Ilive, Which had 32 actual inputs, But 64 channels of processing, Where I could use the actual first 32 inputs for F.O.H. And the remaining 32 channels of processing as a monitor desk, Just wondering if the pro series also do this.

The Pro1 and Pro2 are very different consoles as far as processing goes.  The Pro1 is a 40 channel+8 Returns frame, the Pro 2 is a 56 channel+8 returns.  The returns have some routing limitations.  The only real advantage of the Pro1 is the internal pre-amps... and some would say that is not an advantage.  Both console can do an internal split.  If you want to can patch any preamp to every single channel.  What specificly do you want to know? Your looking at a 10k and a 20k console vs the 5k console you started with...   
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Kim Guibord

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »

The Pro1 and Pro2 are very different consoles as far as processing goes.  The Pro1 is a 40 channel+8 Returns frame, the Pro 2 is a 56 channel+8 returns.  The returns have some routing limitations.  The only real advantage of the Pro1 is the internal pre-amps... and some would say that is not an advantage.  Both console can do an internal split.  If you want to can patch any preamp to every single channel.  What specificly do you want to know? Your looking at a 10k and a 20k console vs the 5k console you started with...   
I have recently been working with some larger acts, which would not accept the M32 , but would accept the pro series.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:56:18 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

I have recently been working with some larger acts, which would not accept the M32 , but would accept the pro series.

It's interesting that they would not accept a console that doesn't even exist yet.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

It's interesting that they would not accept a console that doesn't even exist yet.

Mac

Clairvoyance.  Edgar Cayce's rider says "No M32".

Nudge, wink.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kim Guibord

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Clairvoyance.  Edgar Cayce's rider says "No M32".

Nudge, wink.
I should have known better than to ask here.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »

I should have known better than to ask here.

The jokes get better closer to the end of the shift, I promise :)

Acts that are turning down the yet-to-see-daylight M32 are doing so because of the inherent connection to the X32, and by extension, that mixer's brand name.  Whether or not that's the right thing to do remains to be seen.  For myself, the better styling and better motorized faders are worth more money over the X32.  I don't buy into the "magic" Midas preamps so for me that marketing bullet point is moot.  If those and the Midas name are worth another US$2000 or so, I can't say.

As System Guy, I mixed a support act on a tour's Pro2C.  The FOH guy gave me a 5 minute tour of the desk and off I went.  There were some things I didn't grok right away, but some, like Pop Groups, I wrapped my head around quickly.  It was a much friendlier walk-up experience than my encounter with a Presonus SL.  8)

The Pro2 has "64 simultaneous input processing channels".  Perhaps Chase McKnight will address this, but I take that to mean 64 input strips (to use an analog analogy) exist, and those can be patched to whatever physical inputs or logical inputs (internal FX returns, double-assigned physical input) as may be needed.  You can get a bunch of inputs on stage back to the Pro via AES50 and use automation to switch/assign/change them, so long as you don't use more than 64 console inputs, total.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:11:12 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.