ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?  (Read 15725 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »

Back in my younger years, I had Peavey cabinets that weighed in around 70lbs and they had pole mounts on them. The pole cup didn't go to the physical center of gravity of the box.  None do.

Now, modifying an existing box for pole mount would not be my first choice.  Heck, these days, I avoid pole mounting whenever possible.  If I can fly, I do.  Otherwise, ground stack and strap is my choice.
Brian Jojade

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »

If it had a pole cup installed properly I would not hesitate to put it on a decent stand. My old ART500s were about that weight and were always stand mounted on Ultimate TS99Bs.

In the absence of the cup, you might consider doing something like this arrangement I made for a QRX212. The truss plate is bolted to the cabinet through the flyware mounting attachment holes. If I were putting them up higher I'd use the 90 lb. baseplates.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:44:26 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »

Wow, that looks really nice.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »

Wow, that looks really nice.

With all due respect to Mike...who is a professional...I'd feel a lot better if that base plate extended 2 or 3 feet further in every direction no matter how much it weighs.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »

Finding the Center of Balance on the bottom is the easy part.
Finding the Center of Balance of the whole cab is a different story.
Hypothetical.... Pole cup goes in 4 or 5 inches (providing it isn't now burried into a woofer)
With the C-O-B of the cab 16 to 20 inches ABOVE the top of the pole cup, what, exactly is stopping the cab from doing a nose-dive if someone bumps into it.
Answer - Not a friggin thing.
That's the real reason a double 15 will never have a pole cup as an OEM option.
If the pole cup reached far enough into the cab to get near the C-O-B, there wouldn't be a problem.
80 lbs to hoist onto a 3 foot long pole (before adjusting for height) would not be my first choice......
Yes, I don't want any pole top hats buried in any woofers  :o

but it's a single 15 inch not a double

And Mike that looks really nice, that might be a good option for me.

Back in my younger years, I had Peavey cabinets that weighed in around 70lbs and they had pole mounts on them. The pole cup didn't go to the physical center of gravity of the box.  None do.

Why would you not want to install a pole cup near the center of gravity?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:52:36 PM by Brian O'Shaughnessy »
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

Bob Kidd

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

That is a great idea Mike! Might be something to consider for my srx 725s.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

I'm not a fan of putting heavy cabinets on poles. There are always safety issues of some type and if the manufacturer thought it was going to be safe they would have put a proper cup in at the factory. Mike is showing by far one of the best looking stands I've seen, and a stand I would certainly feel very safe with. That's a labor of love Mike. I'm certified for class "A" aircraft and those are nice welds. But I regress. There are plenty of stand and platform options available that don't cost huge money and I suggest you look at those.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »

Hello all, been searching a lot and finding some good information but not quite what I need.

Just invested in 2 of these speakers. PK Sound CX215 a 2 way cabinet

They're great, and I've just been ground stacking them with the subs (double 18s). Only thing is, I much prefer the look and sound of the subs on the ground, these speakers have fly points but don't have tripod mounts. They weigh 80 lbs. Are there crank stands that would allow me to some how rig these without using truss? I know genie lifts can do off center loads but all those are much larger then I need. Is there a manufacturer that makes smaller crank stands that are similar to genie's design?

Would it be totally out of the question to just put a tripod mount on the bottom of these and then make sure I have a really solid tripod to support it? Is there a good place to get a high quality tripod mount, or a mount that is meant for heavier cabinets?

Thanks for any input!

I have JBL VP7215 cabs. They weigh 85lbs. and cost a shit pile of money. They came with no pole sockets. I found the center of gravity, drilled some holes and installed my own pole sockets. Been using them on a crank up stand for about 4-5 years now.

This is just what I did. works good for me. Not sure if this will work for you. I'm not familiar with your cabinets. I don't think I would tri pod mount a dual 15 cab. Just use some common since.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:51:34 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »

That's a labor of love Mike. I'm certified for class "A" aircraft and those are nice welds.

When I say I "made" the stand, I meant that I assembled it from stock truss components and fitted it to the speakers. Credit for the nice welding job goes to some anonymous Chinese factory worker.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:11:29 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »

Brian -

I've put QW2 speakers (97 lb.) on stands on occasion, not a big deal.  Since your speakers are similar in shape and 15 lb. lighter, very doable.   I've mounted tophats into various speakers with good results. 

I take a 4' piece of 2" OD iron pipe and roll it under the speaker, parallel to the front face, then roll the speaker front to rear until it will balance (more or less...) on the pipe.  I find the point that the cab will just fall forward, mark where the pipe contacts the speaker sides, then do the same with the speaker just falling rearward.  I split the difference, mark that point, then connect the dots side to side.  I perform the same procedure with the pipe front to rear of the box, letting it fall left/right etc., connect the dots.  The lines cross at the balance point.  I have a 2" piece of the 2" pipe I tape to the cab, centered around the BP, and balance the box on the floor as a check.  Never a problem.

Proper selection of a quality STEEL mounting cup with a reasonably wide base plate is important.  Use bolts/nuts/loctite, NOT wood screws.  Good luck.

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.