ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?  (Read 15733 times)

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:08 AM »

Hello all, been searching a lot and finding some good information but not quite what I need.

Just invested in 2 of these speakers. PK Sound CX215 a 2 way cabinet (it's a single 15' woofer w/ horn)

They're great, and I've just been ground stacking them with the subs (double 18s). Only thing is, I much prefer the look and sound of the subs on the ground, these speakers have fly points but don't have tripod mounts. They weigh 80 lbs. Are there crank stands that would allow me to some how rig these without using truss? I know genie lifts can do off center loads but all those are much larger then I need. Is there a manufacturer that makes smaller crank stands that are similar to genie's design?

Would it be totally out of the question to just put a tripod mount on the bottom of these and then make sure I have a really solid tripod to support it? Is there a good place to get a high quality tripod mount, or a mount that is meant for heavier cabinets?

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:38:58 AM by Brian O'Shaughnessy »
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »

Hello all, been searching a lot and finding some good information but not quite what I need.

Just invested in 2 of these speakers. PK Sound CX215 a 2 way cabinet

They're great, and I've just been ground stacking them with the subs (double 18s). Only thing is, I much prefer the look and sound of the subs on the ground, these speakers have fly points but don't have tripod mounts. They weigh 80 lbs. Are there crank stands that would allow me to some how rig these without using truss? I know genie lifts can do off center loads but all those are much larger then I need. Is there a manufacturer that makes smaller crank stands that are similar to genie's design?

Would it be totally out of the question to just put a tripod mount on the bottom of these and then make sure I have a really solid tripod to support it? Is there a good place to get a high quality tripod mount, or a mount that is meant for heavier cabinets?

Thanks for any input!

Vermette 6515.  Fork height of 15', weight limit 600lbs, 1/3 the cost of Genie material handling lifts, half the weight.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian O'Shaughnessy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »

Vermette 6515.  Fork height of 15', weight limit 600lbs, 1/3 the cost of Genie material handling lifts, half the weight.

Thanks for the reply! That looks like a great option, but I think that is beyond what I need right now. Maybe when I upgrade to a small line array. Right now I'm using the duratruss ST-132 for some lighting and I'm needing something more on that scale of size. I starting to think having that small of a crank stand with an off center load is not really a possibility...
Vitamin C Entertainment

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »

Thanks for the reply! That looks like a great option, but I think that is beyond what I need right now. Maybe when I upgrade to a small line array. Right now I'm using the duratruss ST-132 for some lighting and I'm needing something more on that scale of size. I starting to think having that small of a crank stand with an off center load is not really a possibility...

Your speakers do not have a pole-mount cup already, they weigh 80# (how are you going to get them up on the center post?), and the weight distribution isn't centered?  Why, oh why do you think such a mounting scheme is appropriate?

Safety, not convenience.  There may be other solutions, the Vermette lifts were the first thing that came to mind, but remember that as speaker system weight and size increase, so must the robustness of the support systems.

That PK didn't include a center-mast mounting option should tell you they don't think it's a good idea...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:40:22 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian O'Shaughnessy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »

Your speakers do not have a pole-mount cup already, they weigh 80# (how are you going to get them up on the center post?), and the weight distribution isn't centered?  Why, oh why do you think such a mounting scheme is appropriate?

Safety, not convenience.  There may be other solutions, the Vermette lifts were the first thing that came to mind, but remember that as speaker system weight and size increase, so must the robustness of the support systems.

That PK didn't include a center-mast mounting option should tell you they don't think it's a good idea...
I too thought that safety might be a concern. But this is the stand I would be using, http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=227&MainId=4&Category=41

I've wondered though, mounting 300 lbs of lighting and truss and putting that 13' in the air or mounting a 80lbs cabinet and putting that 7' in the air. I feel like all things considered putting this speaker on a tripod isn't that much of a stretch.

Once again, thank you for your input I am definitely wanting to utilize the safest possible setup.
Vitamin C Entertainment

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »

I too thought that safety might be a concern. But this is the stand I would be using, http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=227&MainId=4&Category=41

I've wondered though, mounting 300 lbs of lighting and truss and putting that 13' in the air or mounting a 80lbs cabinet and putting that 7' in the air. I feel like all things considered putting this speaker on a tripod isn't that much of a stretch.

Once again, thank you for your input I am definitely wanting to utilize the safest possible setup.

The stand doesn't matter, Brian.  Again, that PK deliberately omitted a pole mount should be the Big Red Flag.  Note that lifting truss with the Global product is different than an asymmetrical load like the PK speaker; the truss adapters keep the load's center of gravity centered over the lift mast.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »

The stand doesn't matter, Brian.  Again, that PK deliberately omitted a pole mount should be the Big Red Flag.  Note that lifting truss with the Global product is different than an asymmetrical load like the PK speaker; the truss adapters keep the load's center of gravity centered over the lift mast.
Agreed.  The ST-132 is a fine stand, and will support its rated load in its stated applications.  The issue is whether your speaker can be used that way - is there a pole socket attachment that the manufacturer approves?  How do you install it so the center of gravity is over the pole cup? 

Brian O'Shaughnessy

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »

Agreed.  The ST-132 is a fine stand, and will support its rated load in its stated applications.  The issue is whether your speaker can be used that way - is there a pole socket attachment that the manufacturer approves?  How do you install it so the center of gravity is over the pole cup?

Let me preface saying this is hypothetical. But couldn't someone just setup a tripod and balance the speaker on the tripod. I feel by doing this you could fairly accurately find the center of gravity. Maybe even rig up a piece of wood with a large nail sticking out of it and balance it on that (to reduce surface area). I know that the manufacturer uses Penn Elcom parts for their cabinet construction. http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=01130201 the M1553 seems like it would work.

Once again, this is all hypothetical :D
Vitamin C Entertainment

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »

Let me preface saying this is hypothetical. But couldn't someone just setup a tripod and balance the speaker on the tripod. I feel by doing this you could fairly accurately find the center of gravity. Maybe even rig up a piece of wood with a large nail sticking out of it and balance it on that (to reduce surface area). I know that the manufacturer uses Penn Elcom parts for their cabinet construction. http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=01130201 the M1553 seems like it would work.

I'm assuming you're referring to finding the center of gravity by balancing - not by balancing the cabinet on the 1 3/8" pole for a gig? 

Are you planning to drill a big hole in the speaker for the pole cup?  What does the manufacturer say about that?  Will it interfere with the drivers with where it needs to be to actually be at the center of gravity point of the box?

How much of a big deal this is depends on your application.  If you use a pole cup rated for more than the speaker's load, you're probably going to be fine, but keep in mind that you've now modified a manufacturer's product, which will have warranty, support, resale, and possibly functional and safety ramifications.

I will say from experience that trying to set an 80lb speaker on top of a tripod with a load height of about 5' 6" isn't a cakewalk either - you're going to need two people and probably a box to stand on.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

Finding the Center of Balance on the bottom is the easy part.
Finding the Center of Balance of the whole cab is a different story.
Hypothetical.... Pole cup goes in 4 or 5 inches (providing it isn't now burried into a woofer)
With the C-O-B of the cab 16 to 20 inches ABOVE the top of the pole cup, what, exactly is stopping the cab from doing a nose-dive if someone bumps into it.
Answer - Not a friggin thing.
That's the real reason a double 15 will never have a pole cup as an OEM option.
If the pole cup reached far enough into the cab to get near the C-O-B, there wouldn't be a problem.
80 lbs to hoist onto a 3 foot long pole (before adjusting for height) would not be my first choice......
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.