ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card  (Read 8945 times)

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »

Hey all,

I'm curious about a situation I've found myself in, regarding an LS9 I'm using with a Yamaha MY16-AT card in it.

A member of the Worship team is wanting to record the Worship sets, which is all fine and dandy. Problem is, I was just planning on going into my Macbook Pro, but I use 12 channels on stage and in theory, I can only take the first 8 channels due to the limitations of the Macbook. That leaves me missing 4 channels.

What sort of options are available to me in this situation? There doesn't seem to be much discussion on this particular card and I've finally decided to seek what the fine folks here think.

Thanks in advance!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »

LS9-16 or 32?

And you will need to use your full name to post around here or the thread will get locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
Re: LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »

LS9-16 or 32?

And you will need to use your full name to post around here or the thread will get locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies, didn't know about the screen name thing.

I'm running an LS9 16.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »

My apologies, didn't know about the screen name thing.

I'm running an LS9 16.

Are you using the MY16-AT for anything besides your computer recording?
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »

Are you using the MY16-AT for anything besides your computer recording?

Not that I know of... This is my second week on this gig, as the last guy up and left. There's nothing coming in or out of the card. I'm still re-programing some of the things he had done as they were a bit wonky, and just getting use to the system itself. This just happened to be a question that was brought to me, and I noticed the card was installed and saved me from possibly needing a Dante card or some thing of the like.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »

Not that I know of... This is my second week on this gig, as the last guy up and left. There's nothing coming in or out of the card.

I am not familiar with hardware for macbooks, so there may be other options, but I would suggest you swap the MY16-AT for a MY16-AUD card.  This will allows you to stream 16 channels to your Macbook over Dante through the ethernet port.
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »

I am not familiar with hardware for macbooks, so there may be other options, but I would suggest you swap the MY16-AT for a MY16-AUD card.  This will allows you to stream 16 channels to your Macbook over Dante through the ethernet port.

That's the other option I was looking into if the current card didn't work out. I know I can find optical to 3.5mm cable, and in theory, that should work, but I won't know it until I try it. Only downer, is that I'm limited to the either 1-8 or 9-16.  :-\

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »

That's the other option I was looking into if the current card didn't work out. I know I can find optical to 3.5mm cable, and in theory, that should work, but I won't know it until I try it. Only downer, is that I'm limited to the either 1-8 or 9-16.  :-\

It isn't "optical to 3.5mm" that solves your dilemma. What theory are you working with?

That card does 8 channels of ADAT over TosLink (the optical part). There are 2 sets of ADAT connections.

Where were you going to plug in the 3.5mm cable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

It isn't "optical to 3.5mm" that solves your dilemma. What theory are you working with?

That card does 8 channels of ADAT over TosLink (the optical part). There are 2 sets of ADAT connections.

Where were you going to plug in the 3.5mm cable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm assuming I'll get some sort of signal into my computer if I record into the line in jack on my computer. I'm imagining it'll just be a mono or stereo signal though, and not all 8 tracks.

I'm honestly new to the world of Yamaha digital consoles and don't know much about the cards. I've just done a little research and I'm not sure if I'm reaching my conclusions correctly, that's the reason I'm posting.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »

I'm assuming I'll get some sort of signal into my computer if I record into the line in jack on my computer. I'm imagining it'll just be a mono or stereo signal though, and not all 8 tracks.

I'm honestly new to the world of Yamaha digital consoles and don't know much about the cards. I've just done a little research and I'm not sure if I'm reaching my conclusions correctly, that's the reason I'm posting.

Let me see if I can simplify this for you.  I assume these recordings are going to be posted online or otherwise presented again?

The mix that is done for the PA is unlikely to be acceptable to play back on a computer.  I am also sure you want to do some editing.

You want to capture the information before it is processed or the level changed, right at the output of the preamp in the signal chain.

Then you can use a tool on the computer to remix and edit for streaming or whatever you are trying to accomplish. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.