ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Band Live sound issue  (Read 6373 times)

Terry Berkshire

Re: Small Band Live sound issue
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

The snake is XLR. The cable we ran from the board to the amp was a 1/4 speaker cable. And I'm not sure what output we were using. As I'm not with the board right now. However I did find that the main problem that we have is the fact that we had the board set on MONO BRIDGE. And that is not correct for our application. It should be set at AUX1 MONO or AUX 1 AUX2.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »

Ok when you use the snake, is the mixer output xlr? 

Is the snake return XLR, or 1/4 ?

What is the connection from the Snake to the amp ?   

Do you have a cable tester or meter available ? 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

With it being a powered mixer are you sending the speakers from the amp and you would not connect the speaker leads to the snake to get onto the stage.  This will burn up the snake cable that is for mic or line level signals to feed an amp.  With the board running bridge mono are you connecting two speakers with two cables.  This will cause one speaker to run opposite of the other speaker.  Changing to standard stereo setup will put the sound back to a normal. 

Simon Hutson

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »

The snake is XLR. The cable we ran from the board to the amp was a 1/4 speaker cable. And I'm not sure what output we were using. As I'm not with the board right now. However I did find that the main problem that we have is the fact that we had the board set on MONO BRIDGE. And that is not correct for our application. It should be set at AUX1 MONO or AUX 1 AUX2.

If you've got a couple of stage monitors, then yes I would set the board to Aux 1/Aux 2, set the power output to the output that matches the rating of your monitors (100W, 300W or 500W) and connect the monitors to the board using speaker cables connected to the speaker outputs on the back of the board.

You can then connect your Peavey power amp to the "ST OUT +4db" jacks on the board, via 2 of the return channels on the snake (you will need a couple of TRS Jack to XLR male adapters if your snake returns are XLR sockets).

Once you have done this it should look similar to the diagram I've attached. You should now be in a good position to start troubleshoot the microphone gain/limiter issue.

Many apologies if you've already got further than this, but troubleshooting without being able to see what you have/haven't done takes a bit of time.

Best regards, Simon

Terry Berkshire

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »

That's exactly vwhat I was thinking. The diagram confirms it.  Thank You all for your help!
Terry Berkshire

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »

You should find a cable tester to check the multi core / snake to ensure your not damaged. 

Ohm meter,   or something along the lines of Behringer  CT100. 

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CT100.aspx

There are better devices at a higher cost,  But this will cover the basics.   This will give you the warm fuzzy that the snake is working as designed. 

With ohm meter set to continuity you should have zero and tone on straight threw wires  1 to 1, 2 to 2 and 3 to 3.  also test 1 to 2 and 3 and you should not have tone or zero readings.  This would be a short and would not be working cable.  Also if 1 to 1 is not connecting there is a break or open on the wire and would not be a working channel. 

Simon Hutson

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

That's exactly vwhat I was thinking. The diagram confirms it.  Thank You all for your help!
Terry Berkshire

You should find a cable tester to check the multi core / snake to ensure your not damaged.  Ohm meter, or something along the lines of Behringer CT100. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CT100.aspx

Sometimes, a picture will do. Good luck with the setup. I second Jerome's suggestion, and recommend the Behringer CT100 so you can check your cables/multicore every so often.

Best regards, Simon

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

Without going into details of the configuration, it sounds as though your system works as expected when you use other XLR cables instead of running through the snake.  This pinpoints the problem to being in the snake.  Since you bought the snake used, there's a good chance that it has been abused at some point in its life.  A broken connection on pin 2 or pin 3 on a cable will result in about a 6db drop in signal level, which is significant.  The thin gauge of wire won't have a significant affect on the level, as you are not transferring current on the line using  mic or line level signal.

Using a cable tester is a good start to test for broken connections. The break usually occurs at or near the connector, but it's also possible that the damage is somewhere inside the snake.  That's tougher to fix.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.