ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sitting in the dark again...  (Read 4982 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Sitting in the dark again...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

I wish I could remember the long post I thought I made yesterday in the aftermath of the taping of Cheek to Cheek. I guess I forgot to hit "Post".

In any case...

The show that was supposed to start at 7:30pm really started at 8:15. It was scheduled to end at 9 with a 1hr bumper till the 11pm meal break to do retakes. Ten came and went, 11 came and went, at midnight the line producer finally put a stop to the retakes. I was out by 2am, the truck was probably loaded by 2:30. Woo Hoo!

Over all it was a fun experience. Everyone involved was easy to work with, Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett (always), Chris Botti (always), the excellent crew and staff of Rose Hall at Jazz at Lincoln Center, and everyone involved with the TV production.

A note on that photo of Rose Hall. The onstage seating in the photo was not used. It is portable, and stores all the way upstage. We used the full width, and probably 60' of depth on the stage.

There were basically 4 different musical set ups, the Tony Bennett Quartet, the Lady Gaga Quintet (different drums, B3), the "Big Band" which was either the quartet or quintet with the horn section, and the orchestra, the big band plus strings, french horns and harp. The event was quite long for a concert in front of an audience being close to 4 hours, and Tony is 87 years old, but all the artists stayed professional and polite and made for a pleasant working environment for all of us.

Besides being acoustically good, and inside an RF Faraday cage, Jazz at Lincoln Center is home to the XM Radio studio, where we were able to record the show for remixing for the Ultra HD broadcast. The 2 track program mix sounded great. The show used the house PA (3 arrays of Vertec 4888s) and recording system (96? channels of Millenium mic pres going to the XM studio), but brought in an SD7 for mons, and a PM5D with a Venice sidecar for strings at FOH. There were Aviom monitors for the orchestra, some wedges for the horn section, sidefills for Tony and Gaga, and some RF IEMs.

I think the night was a success for everyone involved, kudos all around!

Mac
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:33:29 PM by Mac Kerr »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42:58 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to talk about the performance Mac.

When you say the "4k Broadcast" what exactly are you referring to?  To my knowledge the over the air CODEC for 4k is still in a working group.  I have a 28" 4k monitor on a computer with a dual stream display port that I have been looking forward to some content just out of curiosity.

I assume that the original broadcast will be a surround mix and have to wait for a Blu-Ray for a 2 channel product?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Aram Piligian

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »

Too cool, Mac.  Thanks so much for sharing. 

One day...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »

I found out today that the show we're taping tonight will be broadcast on Oct 24th. LG posted a clip of an early rehearsal HERE.

Mac

Well here it is, October 24th, and I just finished watching the show on my DVR (I was at a hockey game during the broadcast). It turned out as hoped, although it could have been longer and I wouldn't have minded.

It took about 4 hours to shoot what turned out to be a 1 hour TV show. There were a lot of great musicians involved, and it was fun to be part of.

It is available online at Cheek to Cheek.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.