ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "OLE" man needs some IT help!  (Read 5408 times)

John Bailey Jr.

• Marketplace
"OLE" man needs some IT help!
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

I've taken the digital plunge, and need some help with a X32 rack situation. I have problems with things "rattling around" in a road rack. Does anybody here know of a Rack-mountable wireless router that will mount on the back of the rack, with antennas mounted so they can be folded/rotated DOWN for transport? Gotta be a remedy here for that! Don't like my D-Link just laying in the back of a gator case. Thanks from SWEET HOME  ALABAMA~! :) :)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: "OLE" man needs some IT help!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »

I have an Apple Airport Express strapped down with Velcro to a slotted shelf. It doesn't budge.  I haven't had reception issues yet but your mileage may vary.

That isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's likely cheaper than a rack mountable wireless access point.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »

I have an Apple Airport Express strapped down with Velcro to a slotted shelf. It doesn't budge.  I haven't had reception issues yet but your mileage may vary.

That isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's likely cheaper than a rack mountable wireless access point.
Same solution I use and has the advantage of 5 gig band and can send music to mixer from the iPad.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »

"OLE" as in Object Linking and Embedding?  Meh.

I don't think there are very many options for rack mounted WAPs because putting the RF transceiver in the same box with the antennae makes a lot more sense in 99.9% of uses, and most of the time IT racks are buried in out of the way, secured locations.

The AE is very compact but success with it seems kind of hit-or-miss, based on what folks post about here.  I'm not sure there is a 'better' product, though, because most of the networking problems turn out to be configuration errors (either WAP, router, or connected devices) rather than device or cabling failures.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10:01 AM »

Tim hit the nail on the head  IT racks in a closet and running antenna Feed cable is not a good solution to various parts of a larger building.  The cable also will need to be kept to a specific length based on Frequency, Cable, and Distance.  If my calculation is correct  RG58 Belden 8240,  8 ft, 5 gig,  is 3 db loss
at 15 ft  6 db. 

The antenna are 1/4 wave and if mounted on a pole would still need the ground plane to function correctly. You can get the signal back up with a Yagi like the paddles on the UHF, However you will have a narrow field to work in.   

If I do this I would place a  ground plane box on top of my ground stack with the antenna out of the middle of the box.  Giving the height and keeping the blinking Router from being seen on top of the speakers.   On the back of the rack with the 1U metal bar with the connectors on it allowing me to connect the TNC or BNC and place the box/antenna on a velcro strip on top of the speaker stack.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.