ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Performer, mini stage box, and AES newbie questions....  (Read 4053 times)

jim whitmer

What do I need to get a Performer 3 and a stage box with 32 inputs and at least 8 analogue returns with three more for L/R and mono via one cable from the desk?
I have the older Itech's that I believe accept AES. What/how is that signal carried and then split? The mini 32 might work in that case.
I'm told the mini 16's cannot be daisy chained. Do those not operate via cat 5?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Soundcraft Performer, mini stage box, and AES newbie questions....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »

The mini 32 stagebox has 8 analog and 8 digital AES output channels. You've got your 8 analog right there. You've got iTech, so AES should cover the rest. How precisely you connect it depends on your amp config. For example, if you have one stereo amp for LR, one amp for the mono sub, you just run one AES cable to the LR amp and select the AES input, and do the same for your sub amp. If you are biamp'd, or using another setup with more amps, there is an AES thru that will let you mult the AES to additional amps. If you find the mini stagebox won't do for whatever reason, you could bundle a 6 channel analog drive snake, or get the compact stagebox which can be configured with all analog outs.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »

Jim, make sure you use the right type of cable to carry the AES signal..."regular" mic cable may not cut it.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »

You can custom order one with 16 analog outputs I believe if you desire, that's what I'm looking at.  I'm actually in that "dilemma" right now kinda, band is wanting 6 mixes (5 wedge and 1 drum ears) but I only have 8 analog outs, and 3 are used for main (L/R/Sub)...i
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

jim whitmer

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »

Awesome replies, THANKS!

So a single cat5 cable from the desk to the mini stage box carry signal to both analogue and digital (AES)? If so, I can probably make that work, although 16 analogs would be better. The compact stage box is WAY out of the budget.

Mike, that is interesting to hear you can custom order a mini. PM me if you have a dealer that has quoted that for you.

Also, if anyone knows a dealer or you are a dealer that actually knows this product, feel free to PM me. I've spoke with two companies that sell this, but neither seemed to have any working knowledge of it. In the meantime I'll RTFM!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »

Awesome replies, THANKS!

So a single cat5 cable from the desk to the mini stage box carry signal to both analogue and digital (AES)? If so, I can probably make that work, although 16 analogs would be better. The compact stage box is WAY out of the budget.

While Cat5 is a good generic term, please check with Switchcraft to get the correct specific cable spec for the desk are buying. Then you can order an entertainment quality cable from one of several vendors. For my desk I use Proplex CAT5e UTP with Ethercons. My desk is not a Switchcraft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:24 AM »

Hey Rob,

He might also check with Soundcraft. Having a senior moment were we??

And check this part of the forum as well.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145486.0.html
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:16 AM »

Compact Stageboxes sell for a fraction of what it used to. Many old internet pages still show pricing that is no longer representative. Get a real quote before you decide if it's out of your budget.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »

Jim, I have  a Soundcraft stagebox mini-32. I also need more analog out and plan to buy at least one of these units below. They are both one AES in, two analog out units. They cost a bit more than I'd like, a little over $500ea. The Whirlwind has a built in analyzer.

Whirlwind AESDA   

RDL HR-DAC1
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

Hey Rob,

He might also check with Soundcraft. Having a senior moment were we??

And check this part of the forum as well.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,145486.0.html

Yup :-). Soundcraft, Switchcraft , Kraftworks, whatever....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.