ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chamsys Maxiwing needs more faders  (Read 6235 times)

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
Chamsys Maxiwing needs more faders
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

Has anyone successfully added a Midi controller or extra wing to the Maxiwing?
Have a show coming up that the LD would like another bank of handles.
Having trouble logging in to my chamsys account so thought I would ask here while I sort that out.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Chamsys Maxiwing needs more faders
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

Hi Brook,

While I haven't done exactly what you're describing, I've played with the MagicQ MIDI function quite a bit.  First of all, I'm going to assume this is for MagicQ PC?  If so, the PC version of MagicQ has more limitations than a physical MagicQ desk in terms of expandability (number of wings, etc.), so just be sure to check into that.  I don't use a wing with mine, so I can't really comment other than I know there is a limit regarding how many can be plugged in and what they'll map to.

Personally, I think MIDI is the best way to really unlock MagicQ PC, especially when on a budget.  I too like as much 'hands on' as possible, so I can see where you're coming from.  MIDI has its limitations though, besides that you have to use the actual Chamsys MIDI interface.  All of the possible MIDI commands are in the manual, but know that they only control PB1-10.  You can work around that limitation by writing one of your PBs as a 'control' cue stack and macro everything else from it.  Is it elegant?  No, but given the low cost of the solution it gets me by.  One of my current projects is building an interface to fire MagicQ playbacks with a Novation Launchpad, but that's another story...  Hope this helps!

-Jeff

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:21:20 AM »

The manual mentions also that you can use another desk as a wing if you have DMX input available. I don't know MagicQ, but this may be way to go if you have some simple desk like elation scenesetter or one of its clones.

John Roesli

• Solution Logix Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

You should be able to rent/borrow an extra wing.  Plug into USB and MagicQ will pick up both the Maxi wing and the Extra Wing, would give you lots of faders and go buttons.  Other option is a controller from Pi Engineering, takes a bit of programming and wouldn't provide extra faders, but lots of execute, macro, shortcuts etc.  and then of course lots you can do with the midi commands from keyboard or a controller, again don't think you'll get extra faders that way. 

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. We ended up buying an Extra Wing from Chamsys which was more than I wanted to spend but makes for a very nice controller for less than 10K USD.
Touch screen computer, MaxiWing, ExtraWing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.