ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cargo Trailers  (Read 9703 times)

Joe Jordan

Cargo Trailers
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »

I've collected enough gear to pack my 6 1/2' bed pickup so I guess it's time for a trailer.

Any tips on what to look for? Right now I'm looking at 10 & 12' x 6' with a ramp.

Looks like there are various construction methods with each company claiming to be the best.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Bob Kidd

Re: Cargo Trailers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »

I've collected enough gear to pack my 6 1/2' bed pickup so I guess it's time for a trailer.

Any tips on what to look for? Right now I'm looking at 10 & 12' x 6' with a ramp.

Looks like there are various construction methods with each company claiming to be the best.

My tip would to get one that takes growth into consideration. Don't want to buy something that you out grow year later.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

Torsion axles, LED lights, you can tell which companies are cheaper built, don't go with them.  Buy once cry once.  I have one trailer that is 13 years old and is in better shape than the one 4 years old, not joking, you can tell.  To big can be as bad as too small.  Trailers are nice though!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »

Get one with tandem axles even if you don't think you'll overload a single-axle.  They ride better.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »

Get one with tandem axles even if you don't think you'll overload a single-axle.  They ride better.

Exactly.. Brakes as well

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

This.

Gear in cases weighs a lot. My trailer weighs more than my RAM 1500 sometimes. Electric brakes are a lifesaver.
Some years ago I bought a 7x12. I thought about 14 but didn't. I got a 7x14 vee nose this year with 2 rows of e-track. The extra 2 feet are nice but the ability to stack safely is priceless.

Lots of folk get ramp doors but I like barn doors with an aluminum ramp. The one they sell at Harbor Freight is workable. Heavier duty ones exist but are pricey.
If you leave something in the trailer and have to get it later, with barn doors you don't need much space behind the trailer to get in to get it. You might not be able to drop a ramp door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »

I suggest the Search.  The trailer topic comes up about every 18 months and the good answers remain the same... Floor size, height, brakes, ramps, security, etc.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:27 PM »

In addition to all the good advice already given, you should check your local laws regarding trailer brakes. State laws vary; some states require brakes at a surprising low GVWR.  In my limited experience, single axle trailers rarely have brakes as part of the standard equipment.  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:40 AM »

I'll reiterate this again as well. You WILL overload a single axle trailer because payload capacity isn't that much. A 6x12 is a nice size and I recommend the ramp door.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:44 AM »

I bought one with a single barn door and I wish I would have spent the money on 2 smaller double doors. 50% of the time that big door is on the side I need to unload to and I have to walk around it because there isn't enough room to open it 100%. PITA

Also, although this seems obvious; take the time to figure out how much your gear ( and potential upgrades later) actually weighs and make sure not only that the trailer can handle it but that your tow vehicle can handle it plus the weight of the unloaded trailer.  There can be a significant weight difference between empty trailers of the same size.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:17:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.