ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 and S16 oddity  (Read 6925 times)

Art Williams

X32 and S16 oddity
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »

Hey I've been using X32s and S16s since they were released.  I've always used AES50 A wired to AES50 A via CAT. Yesterday for the first time I could not connect my stagebox to the console this way, it would not sync and connect. In the midst of trouble shooting I switched to AES50 B on the console. Poof green light on S16 everything works. However this config has AES50 B on X32 AES50 A on S16. I thought this was not supposed to work... Anyone experience this or have any insight?

Thanks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: X32 and S16 oddity
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »

What is CAT?  If you are talking about the category on needs to be cat 5 or better.  However I dont think the number of twists in 5 is sufficient.  Also solid 24 plenum commonly used for drops in buildings is the wrong cable.  solid wire breaks and the jacket is too thin.  several vendors make shielded...buffered 22 stranded with a good flexible jacket.  make sure you use shielded 8 position plugs at the end.

My guess is the cable
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

Hey I've been using X32s and S16s since they were released.  I've always used AES50 A wired to AES50 A via CAT. Yesterday for the first time I could not connect my stagebox to the console this way, it would not sync and connect. In the midst of trouble shooting I switched to AES50 B on the console. Poof green light on S16 everything works. However this config has AES50 B on X32 AES50 A on S16. I thought this was not supposed to work... Anyone experience this or have any insight?

Did you try power cycling the console? 

You can connect the AES50 connections on the console any way you like that works for your routing.  There's nothing wrong with connecting S16's to the AES50 B port on the console or a combination of both A and B.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »

As far as getting the right cable check this post: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,143428.0.html

That thread has a lot of useful information about x32 + S16 cables and what does/doesn't work.

Art Williams

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

What is CAT?  If you are talking about the category on needs to be cat 5 or better.  However I dont think the number of twists in 5 is sufficient.  Also solid 24 plenum commonly used for drops in buildings is the wrong cable.  solid wire breaks and the jacket is too thin.  several vendors make shielded...buffered 22 stranded with a good flexible jacket.  make sure you use shielded 8 position plugs at the end.

My guess is the cable

I've never had a problem with the cable itself...my question is basically I've always thought I needed to connect A to A or B to B

This last gig I ran into the problem of devices would only work hooked up A to B.
Yes I power cycled everything in different sequences

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »

I've never had a problem with the cable itself...my question is basically I've always thought I needed to connect A to A or B to B

No, you can connect anything to anything*; what determines if it will work or not is how it's set up in the routing page. Did you check to see if anything changed?

*except I believe that the S16's are always A in, B link to another device.

The first S16 will always be AES50(AorB) 1-16, the next is 17-32, third one 33-48. You can change the console input order around on the routing page, but the sequencing starts with the first one plugged directly to the X32 on S16 port A. Hope that made sense.

Art Williams

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »

No, you can connect anything to anything*; what determines if it will work or not is how it's set up in the routing page. Did you check to see if anything changed?

*except I believe that the S16's are always A in, B link to another device.

The first S16 will always be AES50(AorB) 1-16, the next is 17-32, third one 33-48. You can change the console input order around on the routing page, but the sequencing starts with the first one plugged directly to the X32 on S16 port A. Hope that made sense.

It may, I'm just baffled about this new issue since it has worked fine for so long, I'm gonna re initialize everything and see what happens I guess

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

My guess is the cable

Yes and no Scott. A solid copper core will not make an Ethernet cable more susceptible to breakage any more so than stranded cable types. What solid copper does is retain the shape of bends and kinks making it harder to work with in shorter lengths. However, solid copper category 5, 6, 7 is electrically equal to it's stranded brethren in every way.

Premise cable is almost always solid with a thin, but very, very tough outer casing making premise cable easier to work with and more difficult to accidently cut into, all by design. Shorter cables up to 100' are usually found as stranded softer jacketed cable as those cables are mostly used for short runs and patching between termination blocks and rack mounted devices, or from wall plates to desk top systems.

My choice, based on the many 1000' spools of cable in my basement, or that I may find for use in a data center, is 1) Whatever I can get to first, 2) Whatever is closest when I make the cable(s), and in both instances whatever does the job properly. Coiling solid copper Ethernet cables is not an issue to me so the answer to the OP's question can really be, whatever floats your boat as long as the cable supports your intended use.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »

As I posted in the other forum, use the cable specified by the maker of the desk. Period. There is no point debating the merits of other choices as you are SOL if it doesn't work someday using anything but what is specified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »

Yes and no Scott. A solid copper core will not make an Ethernet cable more susceptible to breakage any more so than stranded cable types. What solid copper does is retain the shape of bends and kinks making it harder to work with in shorter lengths. However, solid copper category 5, 6, 7 is electrically equal to it's stranded brethren in every way.

Premise cable is almost always solid with a thin, but very, very tough outer casing making premise cable easier to work with and more difficult to accidently cut into, all by design. Shorter cables up to 100' are usually found as stranded softer jacketed cable as those cables are mostly used for short runs and patching between termination blocks and rack mounted devices, or from wall plates to desk top systems.

My choice, based on the many 1000' spools of cable in my basement, or that I may find for use in a data center, is 1) Whatever I can get to first, 2) Whatever is closest when I make the cable(s), and in both instances whatever does the job properly. Coiling solid copper Ethernet cables is not an issue to me so the answer to the OP's question can really be, whatever floats your boat as long as the cable supports your intended use.

Bend radius of solid cat 5e is 4x the diameter.  Once it is kinked and the outer jacket distorted it is assumed the conductors no longer have the correct symmetry.  It will also usually fail a common mode rejection ratio test about 300Mhz.

The pre made cables will be terminated in some gooberish boot and possibly PITA snagless cover. 

So, to be clear.  My preference and it happens to be limited to this product (x32 and S16 or x32 rack to x32 producer) is that the rubber jacketed stuff with the correct Ethercon connectors work the best and are easiest to manage within the cable inventory.

Behringer recommends shielded also wired to 568B, that is a bit baffling because AES50  is not Ethernet so would not benefit on the pair isolation provided by 568B.

Lastly AES50 is not Ethernet, it uses all four pairs and has sync signals.  It also uses the same MDI MDI-X concept of Ethernet, most devices are auto switching but you might run across a device that has a switch for the mode.  The ends have to be opposite.

I found this when Googling for the pin out:  http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/jun_cat5/ethernetcabledigitalaudio.pdf
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.