ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase and Time alignment  (Read 9478 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Phase and Time alignment
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »

so. much. information. I think i understand most of what is being said. I now realize why so many mobile systems sound like crap. I try my best tho. I seem to be the only one in the area that tries to pay attention when it comes to sound quality. I feel as tho this might be off topic, but, what gear is used to measure what is stated above (specifics if possible)? I've always been interested in the equipment to measure and adjust a sound system for various things but i wouldn't know where to begin.
SmaartLive, USB preamp (we use Roland OctaCapture at work), Audix TM1, and the TRAINING by Rational Acoustics.  This, or Systune, work well for tuning systems in the field.  There are slightly better programs/mics/etc for lab work, like manufacturers creating files.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:09 PM »

so. much. information. I think i understand most of what is being said. I now realize why so many mobile systems sound like crap. I try my best tho. I seem to be the only one in the area that tries to pay attention when it comes to sound quality. I feel as tho this might be off topic, but, what gear is used to measure what is stated above (specifics if possible)? I've always been interested in the equipment to measure and adjust a sound system for various things but i wouldn't know where to begin.
One of the hardest things about system alignments is knowing what you can and cannot (or should not) try to "fix".

Realize that you cannot make it perfect, but trying to make it as even as you can for as many people as you can.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 05:38:04 AM »

Without access to an analyzer I recommend using a warble (Bink test CD) instead of a sinus when attempting to align by ear.

This way you at least hear all frequencies of interest throughout the XO region.

Like Ivan pointed out, using a sinus you might very well end up being in phase for that specific frequency and still be anything from 1/2 cycle (polarity reversed) to numerous cycles off.

The result will be ripple to the left and right of the XO point. The frequency range where this ripple occurs is determined by relative level and the severity by the amount of misalignment or difference in phase slopes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 05:38:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.