ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have a question on Direct outs from mixer to Personal in-ear system  (Read 3223 times)

Tony Rodriguez

First off I am not an audio guy I am a musician and our church doesn't have anyone that really understand audio just people who like to think they do, so i am trying to learn.

We have a Allen & Heath ZED 436 at church, That gets connected to our Elite Core In-Ear System. Each musician has their own personal mixer on the platform.

I think the mixer is connected wrong though. Its my understanding that each channel should have its direct out sent to the In ear system. so that would be a pre-fade signal, so its my understanding that any changes on the mixer should not affect our sound in the In-Ear. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is because that is not how they have it at my church. We have about 10 mics and instrument channels being used. but instead of having everyone coming out of the direct outs they have 6 coming out of the the AUX Channels which are louder than everyone else, and its hard to get a good mix on the personal mixers because of this. So 6 people are very loud and 4 are SUPER LOW...

Is this an ideal setup or is it wrong?

I thought everyone should be direct-out therefore we control our own mix.

Please help me understand this.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Have a question on Direct outs from mixer to Personal in-ear system
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

The reason I ask is because that is not how they have it at my church. We have about 10 mics and instrument channels being used. but instead of having everyone coming out of the direct outs they have 6 coming out of the the AUX Channels which are louder than everyone else, and its hard to get a good mix on the personal mixers because of this. So 6 people are very loud and 4 are SUPER LOW...

Is this an ideal setup or is it wrong?

I thought everyone should be direct-out therefore we control our own mix.

Please help me understand this.

Normally all band inputs to in-ears should be pre-fade, yes.

The normal reason to run an aux into a personal monitoring system is to sub-mix a group of inputs, typically done when there are more input channels than the PM will handle. With a small band I could see the case for, say, grouping all your spoken word mics and playback sources on a single post-fade aux even if they'd individually fit in direct outs just to eliminate the chance of any inadvertent transmission of unwanted audio to the in-ears, but beyond that I'd run everything direct outs.

Have you asked the techs (nicely) why it's set up the way it is?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

On the Elite core 1U rack interface to the mixer there are some pad switches to reduce the input levels and bring them closer together.  Look to see if all the pad switches are on or off.  If on, then find the week signals and turn off the pad and see how that helps.  Or reverse the set and If off then turn the pad on for the loud ones to reduce some. 

Like stated previous,  ASK first to see if there is a good reason. 

Tony Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Normally all band inputs to in-ears should be pre-fade, yes.

The normal reason to run an aux into a personal monitoring system is to sub-mix a group of inputs, typically done when there are more input channels than the PM will handle. With a small band I could see the case for, say, grouping all your spoken word mics and playback sources on a single post-fade aux even if they'd individually fit in direct outs just to eliminate the chance of any inadvertent transmission of unwanted audio to the in-ears, but beyond that I'd run everything direct outs.

Have you asked the techs (nicely) why it's set up the way it is?

I had asked them about a week ago. What they said was that since the main singer got loud sometimes in house they wanted to put him through the auxiliary so that if they lowered him FOH he could still hear himself in ear... So they obviously don't understand that the direct-outs are pre-fade.

I kind of knew he was wrong at the time but didn't know how to tell him with out sounding like a know-it-all. So that's why I wanted to inform myself first.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 26 queries.