ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX 812M vs EAW VFM129  (Read 5677 times)

Brayden Cohen

JBL STX 812M vs EAW VFM129
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

Hey fellas!!! hope everyone's doing well!

Currently I have 2 JBL SF12M monitors(pdf link provided below) for pulpit in my church while they are good the pastor keeps saying that she can't hear and that they aren't loud enough. I was looking for the SRX712M's after hearing them but as I went to look for them the STX series came out so i am reluctant to get them because i haven't heard much about them.

I have EAW LA325's and love them so i am slightly biased to EAW's however the power difference is quite a difference indeed. I like the VFM129 because of the style of the box and again EAW has never forsaken me lol.

Any words of wisdom on which way I should go??

JBL SF12M -http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLSF12M
JBL STX812M -http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/stx800-series/stx812m#.U83UhYBdWKw
EAW VFM129 -http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/vfm129/

Thomas Le

Re: JBL STX 812M vs EAW VFM129
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »

What kind of amp are you feeding to the monitor? Maybe you're underpowering it?

Check the aux level on the mixer/GEQ send?

Considering that the SF12 is similar to the JRX series, either wedge you've listed will be an improvement but the questions above could save you money.

Be aware that the VFM129 has a different form factor.

Brayden Cohen

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:31 AM »

i have two of running from an aux send mono feed power coming from a QSC MX1500A so they gettin plenty juice.

Also another factor i forgot to mention is the organ and the fact that there are two leslie's on the pulpit as well, but they arent both always on.

Form factor in the sense of classic wedge vs vertical floor monitor? or dispersion?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »

Hey fellas!!! hope everyone's doing well!

Currently I have 2 JBL SF12M monitors(pdf link provided below) for pulpit in my church while they are good the pastor keeps saying that she can't hear and that they aren't loud enough. I was looking for the SRX712M's after hearing them but as I went to look for them the STX series came out so i am reluctant to get them because i haven't heard much about them.

I have EAW LA325's and love them so i am slightly biased to EAW's however the power difference is quite a difference indeed. I like the VFM129 because of the style of the box and again EAW has never forsaken me lol.

Any words of wisdom on which way I should go??

JBL SF12M -http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLSF12M
JBL STX812M -http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/stx800-series/stx812m#.U83UhYBdWKw
EAW VFM129 -http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/vfm129/
Have you gone up there and listened?  You haven't given a lot of information about what is going on - I assume she is singing?  It seems unlikely to me that it is a problem that will be solved by swapping one wedge for another.  Is there something that is preventing her from hearing - i.e. too much stage volume that can be handled another way?  Can something be turned down in her wedge?  Performers are notoriously bad at understanding what they need.  Going up there and analyzing the situation should be your first step.

Brayden Cohen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »

@TJ yes i am battling with stage volume that can get a little out of hand at time's. I have also gone on the stage and heard the monitors they sound loud enough to be heard but yet im still getting the infamous mic tap during service at points of high volume. The only thing coming into the monitors on the pulpit is the MC, the pastor's mic and a little reverb, everything else is within earshot.

So my ambitions to replace the wedges is more for headroom and clarity

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »

@TJ yes i am battling with stage volume that can get a little out of hand at time's. I have also gone on the stage and heard the monitors they sound loud enough to be heard but yet im still getting the infamous mic tap during service at points of high volume. The only thing coming into the monitors on the pulpit is the MC, the pastor's mic and a little reverb, everything else is within earshot.

How do you know the existing wedges are out of headroom?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

The only thing coming into the monitors on the pulpit is the MC, the pastor's mic and a little reverb, everything else is within earshot.

I would start with getting rid of the reverb.

All that does is lower the "quality" and clarity.

Kinda self defeating if you are looking for monitors that have more "clarity"-if you ask me.

I cannot think of a single case in which reverb has made things "more clear".  In every case we are trying to lessen the effect of the reverb (except where it is a special effect) with the loudspeaker choice in a particular application.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.