ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAVES N X32??????  (Read 3641 times)

Brayden Cohen

WAVES N X32??????
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »

Jeff Foster

Re: WAVES N X32??????
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdw5KnFIH0

MIND=BLOWN

You can do something similar with LiveProfessor and any VST plugin.  LiveProfessor has a free version, so you can still use DAW plugins, but at a much lower cost than the Waves stuff.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:15 AM »

You can do something similar with LiveProfessor and any VST plugin.  LiveProfessor has a free version, so you can still use DAW plugins, but at a much lower cost than the Waves stuff.

Yes and LiveProffesor also supports ASIO drivers so any digital mixer that caters to the Windows folks can do this.  I don't mean to unblow your mind but you can do digital inserts on a 15 year old Tascam TDIF.

It is actually much simpler to split a bitstream than it the hardware for analog inserts.  You just have to wrap yourself around the digital path.

One thing that I see folks struggle with conceptually as they move to digital is how to gain stage.  While there is no such thing as an amplifier within the digital domain we still have to express gain.  An ideal insert in the digital domain will only increase the gain of processed signals IE bands on an EQ.  Base gain will rob you of dynamic range.

Everyone focuses on sampling rate but bit depth is also very important.  The sampling rate dictates the maximum frequency that can be reproduced by a coder operating at a given sampling rate.  Nyquist and Shannon at Bell Labs published the equations 65+ years ago that are still relevant today to express this "transfer function", this is an important term.

WRT to the loudness of a the signal that is expressed by the word length.  A 16 bit word has 96db of headroom, a 24 bit 144db.  One other point, a larger bit depth also means smaller units of loudness are more accurately quantified, producing a more analog like sinusoidal waveform.

My point being that every digital insert that adds gain robs you of precious dynamic range.    Just like you gain stage an analog signal change you have to do the same thing in the digital domain.  It's also harder to recognize the artifacts of low bit depth in the analog output.  Every audio engineer learns early on what an amp driven into limiting sounds like.  Recognizing digital "squashing" is much harder.

I hope this makes some sense, I wish someone had taken me aside and explained this so I hope it is useful.

It's still more fun to buy old processors and refurb them but the cost of the plugins can't be beat!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Foster

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

It's still more fun to buy old processors and refurb them but the cost of the plugins can't be beat!

To add to the "unblowing of the mind", or to blow it further, I do something similar with analog systems.  With my Saffire pro 40 and a laptop, I can use it's inputs and outputs as inserts for analog consoles.  With a fast computer, the latency is low enough to not be noticeable.  This gives me 4-8 channels of DSP plugins for any analog channels/groups/auxes.  (four stereo to eight mono, or any combination)  I can also daisy-chain plugins for each channel before returning them, so I can have countless processing units in one rack space (plus a laptop).

With this setup, I don't need to take as many racks of outboard gear which saves space and weight.  If I add a 8 channel ADAT I/O unit, I can double my channel count to 8/16.

However, latency is always a concern, as is the reliability of a laptop.  What happens if the laptop crashes?  This is stuff that has to be considered as well.  Yes, there are benefits, but there are also drawbacks.  As with everything, it's all about weighing the options and deciding which trade-off fits the situation better.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.