ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card  (Read 8976 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: LS9 and Yamaha MY16-AT Card
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:05 AM »

I'm assuming I'll get some sort of signal into my computer if I record into the line in jack on my computer. I'm imagining it'll just be a mono or stereo signal though, and not all 8 tracks.

I'm honestly new to the world of Yamaha digital consoles and don't know much about the cards. I've just done a little research and I'm not sure if I'm reaching my conclusions correctly, that's the reason I'm posting.

This has nothing to do with Yamaha.  The 3.5mm line in jack on the Mac is also an optical input.  You can not get an optical to 3.5mm adapter.  You can get a fiber cable that is Toslink (a connector) to the special dual use fiber jack the Mac uses.  The connection is only 2 channel so it can accept SPDIF.  The connections on the MY16-AT card are not SPDIF they are ADAT, an 8 channel format.  You would need an interface to take ADAT into your Mac in order for this to function.  RME makes some nice ones that I have used for recording, there are quite a few others as well, I just don't have experience with them.  The interface that you need would depend on which MAC you have and what it has for ports (Firewire800, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt).
You could also change the ADAT card out for a DANTE card as you and others had mentioned.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Scott Stafford

• Stafford Sound
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

This has nothing to do with Yamaha.  The 3.5mm line in jack on the Mac is also an optical input.  You can not get an optical to 3.5mm adapter.  You can get a fiber cable that is Toslink (a connector) to the special dual use fiber jack the Mac uses.  The connection is only 2 channel so it can accept SPDIF.  The connections on the MY16-AT card are not SPDIF they are ADAT, an 8 channel format.  You would need an interface to take ADAT into your Mac in order for this to function.  RME makes some nice ones that I have used for recording, there are quite a few others as well, I just don't have experience with them.  The interface that you need would depend on which MAC you have and what it has for ports (Firewire800, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt).
You could also change the ADAT card out for a DANTE card as you and others had mentioned.

Lee

Lee,

Thank you for the information. It's been quite helpful reading around and learning a bit more.

What sort of interface have you record with? My Macbook has 2 Firewire ports (400 & 800) and a USB port, so I know that opens up my possibilities a bit more. I'm hesitant on the Dante card, just because of how expensive they are for the situation I'm in. I can't seem to find any used, so that sucks. :P

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm no expert on this subject, and I'm learning with each ridiculous statement I make. hah!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »

Lee,

Thank you for the information. It's been quite helpful reading around and learning a bit more.

What sort of interface have you record with? My Macbook has 2 Firewire ports (400 & 800) and a USB port, so I know that opens up my possibilities a bit more. I'm hesitant on the Dante card, just because of how expensive they are for the situation I'm in. I can't seem to find any used, so that sucks. :P

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm no expert on this subject, and I'm learning with each ridiculous statement I make. hah!

I have used the RME Fireface800 as an ADAT interface.  It also allows other input types.  Unfortunately it is no longer available except on the used market.  The Fireface802 has superseded it.
None of the RME interfaces are inexpensive although used Fireface800's may be found at reasonable prices.

There are quite a few other interfaces that will convert from ADAT I just have not used them so can not specifically recommend them.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.