ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite Intelligent Light fixture?  (Read 4962 times)

Kurt Nyberg

Your favorite Intelligent Light fixture?
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:23:16 AM »

What is your favorite intelligent light fixture and why?

I.e.

- Price Value
- Innovation
- Quality
- Range of Application Possibilities
- General Experience

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
Re: Your favorite Intelligent Light fixture?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »

Currently right now I'm extremely impressed by the robe pointe.

Two main reasons...

1. Versatility and power/size
First, this is an extremely bright fixture for its size. The ability to zoom down to a tight beam angle and make sharpy quality ACL effects while being able to produce solid gobos and projections when zoomed out is awesome. Frost filter provides a nice even wash and all the features you'd want in a mid size profile. The value for the money is fantastic, and having a fixtures that does it all and is a work horse in your arsenal is invaluable.

2. Robe customer service- can't say enough about them. Very attentive and quick to respond is something rather rare in our industry. Definitely top notch.

What is your favorite intelligent light fixture and why?

I.e.

- Price Value
- Innovation
- Quality
- General Experience

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »

I have a few favorites with my number one probably being the old Trackspot from High End. Back in the day before moving heads took over, Trackspots were the workhorses of both small and large lighting companies. They had enough punch to cut through a medium sized par can rig, and because they were smaller and lighter than I-Beams meant you could hang more of them on the truss. The bulb costs next to nothing and draws little power and they were much more reliable than most if the other lights in their class. I still have a bunch in my inventory (but they have not seen a gig in at least 6 years)

My next favorite light is another older unit, the Mac 500 moving head. Great light with two gobo wheels (one that rotates), prism and animation features. One of my tricks is to use a vey small hole gobo and be able to get a sharpy/pin spot look out of the fixture that also works well with the prism. These are still a favorite on corporate gigs here in Las Vegas.

For current fixtures the Clay Paky Sharpy is a big favorite of mine. I love the look of the narrow beam and they put out a ton of light from a 190 watt bulb.

For LED movers I like the Clay Paky A.leda wash series, the Chauvet Q wash series and the Elation Platinum wash and Rayzor lights. I like the look of having different colors on the different rings of LED bulbs and being able to chase the rings.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »

Moving lights suck.  There would be pitchforks and torches if cars, refrigerators, or computers were as failure prone as moving lights.

Here's my take:  Only buy brand new, warrantied fixtures and sell them the moment they are out of warranty.  Seriously.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:21:38 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »

Here's my take:  Only buy brand new, warrantied fixtures and sell them the moment they are out of warranty.  Seriously.

I might add the caveat that if they are in an install the rules may be a little bit different....

But for gigging production fixtures absolutely....  Tim is right.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »

I might add the caveat that if they are in an install the rules may be a little bit different....

But for gigging production fixtures absolutely....  Tim is right.

Theater use - lampies strike the fixture lamps at the top of the call (8am), the shutters/dowsers are closed and nothing moves or happens until the "designer" gets there at 3pm.  He/she pisses around until 5pm, goes to dinner.  Fixtures are still burning, closed.  Comes back at 6pm for focus and cuing, and 1 out of 24 fixtures is now showing some kind of heat-related error (and almost all failures in movers are heat related in some way or another)... gobo wheel indexing magnet falls off, dowser flag adhesive fails, fan shits its blades, etc.

Touring use - similar, but less closed burn time.  Heat failure modes exacerbated by clumsy labor and transportation vibrations/impacts.

Club installs - fired up at 5pm, in use by 6pm, turned off by 3am, no extended time with shutters/dowsers closed.  Main failure modes are caused by lack of cleaning the schmutz from the insides; dirt, dust bunnies, all adhering to parts from the hazer/fogger residue.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

Theater use - lampies strike the fixture lamps at the top of the call (8am), the shutters/dowsers are closed and nothing moves or happens until the "designer" gets there at 3pm.  He/she pisses around until 5pm, goes to dinner.  Fixtures are still burning, closed.  Comes back at 6pm for focus and cuing, and 1 out of 24 fixtures is now showing some kind of heat-related error (and almost all failures in movers are heat related in some way or another)... gobo wheel indexing magnet falls off, dowser flag adhesive fails, fan shits its blades, etc.

Touring use - similar, but less closed burn time.  Heat failure modes exacerbated by clumsy labor and transportation vibrations/impacts.

Club installs - fired up at 5pm, in use by 6pm, turned off by 3am, no extended time with shutters/dowsers closed.  Main failure modes are caused by lack of cleaning the schmutz from the insides; dirt, dust bunnies, all adhering to parts from the hazer/fogger residue.

It depends.... One of our theaters we have a couple dozen moving head led wash units.   No heat when they aren't on.  Another theater uses vl1100 TS units.  Tungsten lamp, dimmed as needed.  Again no heat.

When I was touring our vl2416 units never worked until they had been on an hour and all the metal had finished expanding....  Made for a fun day, if something broke you wouldn't know until right before house opened. But we also let our fixtures sit in open white at all times unless the show was running.....

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »

Favorite fixture of all time?

Would have to have been the Martin Actobat barrel roller disco light. covered a wide area, would look good in solo, master slave and full control mode. I know of 4 still working as good as day installed. All the other ADJ and chauvet stuff has cycled through the rooms twice in the time . The thing was cool to look at and was a square box shape with the glass well inside the frame, easy to pack. But it was really only suitable for small rooms under 15' ceiling.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Colelofink

• sonuslive.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Just based off my inventory and what I rent in,

- Price Value
Martin MAC 101 - 24 Mac 101s can easily replace 60K of 1K Par 64 NSP. With only one soca run up to the truss to power them all, it replaces the 10 soca lines for the PARS, thus saving weight and space in a truck. And with them being Martin I have not run into any issues with touring LDs.

- Innovation
Clay Paky really seems to be trying to push the envelope in terms of innovation. The Sharpy is a really cool light which I love and often use. The Sharpy Wash is AWESOME!!! I haven't used the new Bee Eye K20 yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

- Quality
Most things Martin or Clay Paky are very well built. From experience I've seen a great deal of Elation and lesser brand movers fail. However I am a big fan of some Elations other products, specifically the Q7 LED par.

Martin Viper Profile - This light is simply amazing! It can be used in theater, concerts, and corporate. For an awards show I used 8 of them on a DS Truss to wash an arena stage with a trim high of over 40ft and and a stage at least 50ft wide. For a concert I had 6 as deck package on truss uprights, they cut through video and everything else on stage with no problem. I can't say enough about this fixture.

- General Experience
Martin MAC Aura - It is very well built. I've used it on the US and DS as a wash. It's VERY compact for what it does. The colors are great. Since it's an LED the low power draw is great for small gigs. On large stages the big lens looks cool.

Some of the other things I have used and really liked.
- MAC 2K XB (It's like the SUN!!!)
- Robe 600 and 1200
- MAC 700s (although dated are still a great light)

Lights I would NEVER consider.
- Martin Mac 301 (Made by JB lighting, do these things ever work? Also beam has no edge, colors are not great)
- Elation  Impression (It's a wash light that doesn't zoom....enough said!!!)
- Elation  Platinum Spot (Sure it moves and light comes out... but thats about it. NO features, little output, overall not a professional light)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.