ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons against LS9  (Read 16953 times)

John Chiara

Re: Reasons against LS9
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »

I've mixed FOH quite a bit with the Presonus iPad and am very comfortable with that but agree with your stated deficiencies of the SL mixers as compared to other offerings these days and so just bought the Compact B-board.  I do work with a fellow that lives on a LS9-16 but he only uses the Apps (Airfader included) to dial-in/ring-out monitors.
Have to mix next week on the Presonus... Dreading it. First...the FX suck.
Second, I can't really 'mix' in an app where I can't adjust channels and FX returns at the same time. I can set the X32 up so I can adjust all kinds of stuff... At once...in the DCA page.
The Presonus is OK if you 'set' a mix and don't move anything drastically. I personally find those kind of 'mixes' get boring a ways into the second song...if not sooner.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:16 PM »

Of the ones I have used this is my experience...

Qu - simple straight forward design. The 16 channel version would be my first choice for that size console

X32 - larger, easy to mix on, lots of features. Great console and I would not hesitate to use it. I own one.

Soundcraft ex a I didn't care for it, felt cheap plastic. Sound quality an features were decent on par with the rest of this category, but still would not be my first choice.

Presonus certainly workable but I can't Stand the interface

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:18 AM »

How does 1/8" aluminum feel like cheap plastic ???
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »

How does 1/8" aluminum feel like cheap plastic ???

Sorry I wasn't clear . I was referring to the plastic knobs that to me feel cheap. No saying they are, just how they felt to me.

Again all of them are capable mixers, but in my opinion the difference is more personal preference over quality and features. They each have their own workflow so pick the one that makes sense to you and use it.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

Sorry I wasn't clear . I was referring to the plastic knobs that to me feel cheap. No saying they are, just how they felt to me.

I used an SI compact and then the SI expression, and I'd agree with your assessment that the new board feels 'cheap' in comparison.  Of course, the price was half of the original.

The push buttons on the full size X32 have a cheap feel to them, and the fader knobs are a little cheap. The rotary knobs are ok. Not awesome, but not cheap.  Interestingly, the X32 Compact uses rubber push buttons instead of hard plastic.  They actually feel a bit nicer to me.

The 'No Behringer' rule should be replaced with a 'no junk' rule.  While some (most) behringer stuff is utter crap, the X32 is a new chapter.  If you would have told me 5 years ago that all of my mixer inventory would be behringer, I'd say you are crazy.  Well, I'm one board away from that happening. (still have a Presonus 16.0.2 in use, and every time I use it I wish it was an X32.)
Brian Jojade

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »

Again all of them are capable mixers, but in my opinion the difference is more personal preference over quality and features. They each have their own workflow so pick the one that makes sense to you and use it.

Doesn't a large majority of consoles have plastic knobs?

Steve O'Connor

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

Thanks very much for the input guys it's all been very helpful.

The arguments made against the ls9 are all excellent points but I believe from my own needs and environment that the ls9 is still the most suitable. Ive used many yamaha products over the years and have had no bad experiences so that alone puts my mind at ease from a longevity point of view. That ticks the reliability box.

Functionally it can do all I need, separate high pass and 4 fully parametric bands of eq is essential. Expanders on vocal mics are a very nice bonus for the loud stages.

The iPad mixing capability was also a biggie and while i intend using it for gigs when a proper foh position is not possible , I also intend using it in conjunction with the surface mounted to a stand. So while the ls9 isn't as user friendly a surface as the A&H or soundcraft the iPad app I feel is far superior in form and function to the others that I have trialled, excellent layout, eq,levels,sends,dynamics are all incredibly easy to manipulate. I found the other apps very cumbersome on some of these especially the soundcraft one (I had the most recent version)

Thanks again all for your input
Much  appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »

Doesn't a large majority of consoles have plastic knobs?

There are a large range of different types of plastic that can be used for knobs.  The feel and construction of the plastic makes a huge difference.
Brian Jojade

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

There are a large range of different types of plastic that can be used for knobs.  The feel and construction of the plastic makes a huge difference.

True, but I don't fine the knobs on the Expression to feel anymore "cheap" than other similarly priced boards, and the faders actually seem better than many others.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »

True, but I don't fine the knobs on the Expression to feel anymore "cheap" than other similarly priced boards, and the faders actually seem better than many others.

I loved the faders on the Expression 1, but didn't get along with the encoders. The encoders on the X32 *feel* more responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.