ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage drops  (Read 22298 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Stage drops
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 01:15:35 AM »

Too weird. I would not expect that such an OEM use could result in a CE or UL listed fixture.  Any idea whether the fixture is listed?  If it is listed, I wonder why Neutrik says the connector is not suitable for AC mains useage?  Mark C.

I remember looking at the cable jacket to see if it was speaker cable, but it was SOxx IIRC.  I can't remember if it was 8 conductor or the AWG.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »

Too weird. I would not expect that such an OEM use could result in a CE or UL listed fixture.  Any idea whether the fixture is listed?  If it is listed, I wonder why Neutrik says the connector is not suitable for AC mains useage?  Mark C.
Neutrik states that so that people will be less tempted to plug their passive speaker with an NL4 into mains power directly. This is intentional usage keying, not that the Speakon series is unable to handle the power. This 80V light would have the same problem if plugged into 120V power without its power supply.

I suspect they can get away with it because it isn't mains voltage if the transformer steps power down to 80V, and is probably classified as an internal connector to the system.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

I suspect they can get away with it because it isn't mains voltage if the transformer steps power down to 80V, and is probably classified as an internal connector to the system.

Thanks, TJ. The use of a transformer to take it to 80 volts, making it not an AC mains source, is a reasonable explanation for what is being done and why it is OK in context. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

Neutrik probably don't want the useage of this connector wandering too far away from speaker connections.  If somebody convinces people to use NL8 for line and instrument level connections, were right back to the bad old QTR jack for everything days...

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »

I was back up in the bridges today pulling our amp racks out of the roof and was able to open up a connector. Standard 8 pins as per usual with four conductors from the plug to the lamp base.

Stupidly didn't take a photo...

But yes, these are purely from the output of the transformer, which hangs on the bar next to the lamp. So the actual cable length is probably three feet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.