ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 parts  (Read 5528 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Yamaha LS9 parts
« on: July 16, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

Has anyone ever replaced the Dynamics and Pan rotary/encoder knobs on the LS9? 

Have any tips?

Where would I buy such replacement parts?  What are the part numbers?
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Geri O'Neil

Re: Yamaha LS9 parts
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

Have any tips?

If you plan to repair it yourself, I'd go straight to Yamaha and replace the entire board that the encoder is located on. They can find the part number and take care of that. While it's not terribly hard to desolder and replace the encoder, it's nearly just as cost-effective to replace the entire circuit board. (I say that, I'm not sure exactly which board you would need).

Or do as Rob suggested at the other place... ;)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »

Have any tips?

One of the rotary encoder knobs got broken off my LS9 on a rental.  I sent an e-mail to Yamaha Sunday night and had a reply (from somebody else at Yamaha) about noon time Monday with the part numbers that I needed.  I called my local dealer that afternoon, and he placed an order for 10 pieces (2 for me and the rest for his stock), and the parts went from California to the other side of the continent by Wednesday afternoon.  I was pretty damned impressed!

The actual repair was kind of tricky, just figuring out how the console comes apart (all the screws holding the top to the sides have to come out, for starters), but it was fairly straight forward after that, as long as you are used to removing components from PC boards and installing new ones.

I had a quick search through old e-mails and can't seem to find the part number, but I'll have a look in some other places tomorrow, and try to get back to you.  BTW, the individual parts were under $3 each.

GTD

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »

One of the rotary encoder knobs got broken off my LS9 on a rental.  I sent an e-mail to Yamaha Sunday night and had a reply (from somebody else at Yamaha) about noon time Monday with the part numbers that I needed.  I called my local dealer that afternoon, and he placed an order for 10 pieces (2 for me and the rest for his stock), and the parts went from California to the other side of the continent by Wednesday afternoon.  I was pretty damned impressed!

The actual repair was kind of tricky, just figuring out how the console comes apart (all the screws holding the top to the sides have to come out, for starters), but it was fairly straight forward after that, as long as you are used to removing components from PC boards and installing new ones.

I had a quick search through old e-mails and can't seem to find the part number, but I'll have a look in some other places tomorrow, and try to get back to you.  BTW, the individual parts were under $3 each.

GTD

Geoff, that's good to know.  I found a parts manual and it looks like the LCD screen section is all I have to open up and it slides right up... But I bet it won't be that easy and there are 1-4 screw/bolts that attach to the top (slider cover) and I need to split the console.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »

Geoff, that's good to know.  I found a parts manual and it looks like the LCD screen section is all I have to open up and it slides right up... But I bet it won't be that easy and there are 1-4 screw/bolts that attach to the top (slider cover) and I need to split the console.

Matt, the part number is V3750900. That was for an EQ control, but I think they're all the same.

Geoff

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

I have replaced them before. As I recall the encoders were only around $5 each from yamaha, and once you have the circuit board out of the console it should only take a couple of minutes per encoder to swap them out.

Snip the leads close to the circuit board on the reverse side of the encoder and then get a solder bulb (sucker) and heat up the solder and suck it away from the concoction (i think there are 5 per encoder though i think some are just for stabilization) you can now remove the old, then put the new one back on the board and add a touch of solder at each point.

Though I have made 100s of cables, it was my first time working on a circuit board and I got it done. Buy a couple extras in case you make a mistake (I'm glad i did because I wound up using one extra...)

good luck

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »

Matt, a phone call to Yamaha, a credit card, and the parts were here in 2 days.
I just described the part and they looked it up. All the encoders in that section are the same part but have different color knobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.