ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers  (Read 94810 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

Get well Bobster,

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »

I've been on disability for about 4 weeks now and last Saturday was having a decent day, so I asked my wife and daughter to go to the pizza joint less than a block away for a pizza and to just get the fuck out of the house for the first time in weeks. I expected to be at the joint for an hour or so.

When we got to the place a DJ was setting up for karaoke and starting at 7pm. The place was full of his friends including young kids, and looking for some quiet time and a slice of pizza this gave me a bad feeling about being there. Now the worst case happens and the DJ recognizes me, comes over and then starts in on his wonder system, complete with, you guessed it Bose 802s. He starts into his spiel and I start slipping into a coma. He wants me to look at the system to which I politely decline based on health reasons. He starts his scaryoke and more sure than a shit the biggest fattest 12 year old I've ever seen grabs a mic and starts singing the fucking song to frozen or whatever that movie is.

OK, so now you get the picture, and the point is this. The 802 is the worst sounding cabinet on the face of the planet regardless of number used, regardless of how many times I've heard them, and regardless of processing or processor type. On top of that allowing people to use them for karaoke should be considered a crime against humanity punishable by death. I actually felt worse when I got home and now can't even type the word pizza without feeling more ill than I already am.

And the kid was ugly too.

I bet you're a barrel of laffs on vacation, Bob...  Get your ass back to work. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:22 AM »

The 802 is the worst sounding cabinet on the face of the planet

I think you are over rating them,  They're not that good!

Steve.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:59 AM »

There are people on this forum that have also been critical of the L1 line of Bose systems.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/guitar_tech_andre_cholmondeley_utilizes_bose_pro_l1_system_for_greg_lake_ad/news

Kurt Nyberg

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »

BOSE 802's and 402's are outdated. So is the Land Rover Defender, a car that uses aged technology and which is easily outperformed by far cheaper 4x4 models. Yet people keep buying it, why because it is durable and has proven the test of time.
Nobody who buys the Defender will expect this car to beat a Porsche Cayenne in acceleration, economy or comfort but surprisingly the Defender will still prove more durable. However a guy who does expect his Defender to drive as fast as a Porsche Cayenne will be laughed at. So would he be laughed at if he tries to place more passengers into his Defender than fit in a 24 seater bus or more cargo than fits into a 20 ton truck. Makes perfect sense.

I feel similar about individuals who procure these BOSE speakers for personal/professional live sound reinforcement and who expect them to sound exceptionally great in that context rather than truly understanding their weaknesses and strengths.

The 802's and 402's are durable, weather resistant install anywhere enclosures mostly used for networked and installed sound reinforcement in Hospitality sectors or Pubic places where short throw but wide coverage pattern and Hifi qualities are anticipated.

They are actually Not necessarily expensive in that context compared to Christie, EAW or Community networked install anywhere solutions. In combination with i.e. Crown amplification, the DSP and extended LF support through i.e. the 502's or MB4's they do provide a reasonable sound experience even at low volumes where horn loaded systems tend to sound either harsh or thin.

That said, I would likely not procure BOSE for install anywhere solutions unless I am on a limited budget I would prefer something by EAW such as the NT's.

PS: The L1's are very simple, well designed, plug and play pa systems and with the tone match engine ideal for individual musicians, presenters and stand up comedians who are hired for small gigs at any small Hospitality Venues. These systems are really not meant to be a replacement to truly durable professional high output touring pa rigs in any possible way! Nor will they make your next DJ gig an ear bashing experience. Again they only excel in a specific niche market like the 802's etc.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:26:50 AM by Cord Nieberg »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »

I've got these A7s on the truck....

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »

I've got these A7s on the truck....