ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers  (Read 94836 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »

It's been a number of years since I've heard 802s, but IMO with the processor they sounded better than the average low-to-mid-end PA cab as generally deployed with no EQ - in other words, the processor for the 802s produced a result better than the typical un-processed PA cab.

I measured the processor with my RTA and couldn't fit the whole smile on the screen at once - the difference between the bottom of the grand canyon and HF and LF peaks is something like 30dB; part of the reason that you can't fix them with the average +/-12dB graphic EQ.

Another consideration when applying that much EQ boost is that it requires extra amplifier headroom.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »

Another consideration when applying that much EQ boost is that it requires extra amplifier headroom.

JR
But that may be part of it.

Once you run out of amp headroom-you get distortion (on amps that don't have a clip eliminator), which adds harmonics which some people associate with high freq.

Just like the aphex aural exciter-clip the signal real bad-highpass the result and mix it back in with the original signal to "appear" to get more highs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »

I did a consulting gig this week at a school.  8-802s, 4 mounted at the ceiling along each long side the rectangle, pointing straight across the gym at the opposite ceiling/wall intersection, no processing.  There were also 4 Yamaha 15" 2-ways. All 12 speakers were hooked up to a single stereo amp through 3 or 4 cables. Unknown wiring , unknown polarity,...

They also had a cheap single Behringer 8" or 10" active speaker in the closet. The Behringer covered the gym better, and sounded MUCH better than the 802s without processing, everyone was amazed (except me).

I've also run into 802's where the processor is in the rack, just not connected to anything.  Just hook up the processor and everyone goes 'Wow', I guess we don't need to replace the system.

My favorite gig was a performance/movie theatre, huge QSC 3-way theatre install speakers for LCR.  A wonderful 3U computer programmable QSC DSP in the rack, with instructions for the projectionist to turn the DSP on before showing a movie.  The only cable going into the QSC DSP was the IEC cord.  No crossovers. All 3 drivers (3-way) were wired in parallel to a single amp channel.  Center channel had the horn laying on its side, so the wide coverage was from floor to ceiling down the center seats.

I think they paid 250K for the install, and when presented with my finding the contractor said 'everything was fine', they had RTA-tuned the system with the Dolby processor in the projection booth.  QSC speced something like 1.5ms delay between drivers,... Even the sub, mounted 25' behind the screen, was full band, you could hear vocals coming out of it) Its about 5 years later and the system is still the same.  When I work the venue a few times a year I always take my own rig and charge extra.
Mark McFarlane

Keith Erickson

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:57 PM »

Here is the response curve for the Bose 802 Crown PIP card module.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »

My favorite gig was a performance/movie theatre, huge QSC 3-way theatre install speakers for LCR.  A wonderful 3U computer programmable QSC DSP in the rack, with instructions for the projectionist to turn the DSP on before showing a movie.  The only cable going into the QSC DSP was the IEC cord.  No crossovers. All 3 drivers (3-way) were wired in parallel to a single amp channel.  Center channel had the horn laying on its side, so the wide coverage was from floor to ceiling down the center seats.

I think they paid 250K for the install, and when presented with my finding the contractor said 'everything was fine', they had RTA-tuned the system with the Dolby processor in the projection booth.  QSC speced something like 1.5ms delay between drivers,... Even the sub, mounted 25' behind the screen, was full band, you could hear vocals coming out of it) Its about 5 years later and the system is still the same.  When I work the venue a few times a year I always take my own rig and charge extra.

Couldn't resist.....  ;D

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »

I've been on disability for about 4 weeks now and last Saturday was having a decent day, so I asked my wife and daughter to go to the pizza joint less than a block away for a pizza and to just get the fuck out of the house for the first time in weeks. I expected to be at the joint for an hour or so.

When we got to the place a DJ was setting up for karaoke and starting at 7pm. The place was full of his friends including young kids, and looking for some quiet time and a slice of pizza this gave me a bad feeling about being there. Now the worst case happens and the DJ recognizes me, comes over and then starts in on his wonder system, complete with, you guessed it Bose 802s. He starts into his spiel and I start slipping into a coma. He wants me to look at the system to which I politely decline based on health reasons. He starts his scaryoke and more sure than a shit the biggest fattest 12 year old I've ever seen grabs a mic and starts singing the fucking song to frozen or whatever that movie is.

OK, so now you get the picture, and the point is this. The 802 is the worst sounding cabinet on the face of the planet regardless of number used, regardless of how many times I've heard them, and regardless of processing or processor type. On top of that allowing people to use them for karaoke should be considered a crime against humanity punishable by death. I actually felt worse when I got home and now can't even type the word pizza without feeling more ill than I already am.

And the kid was ugly too.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »

I've been on disability for about 4 weeks now and last Saturday was having a decent day, so I asked my wife and daughter to go to the pizza joint less than a block away for a pizza and to just get the fuck out of the house for the first time in weeks. I expected to be at the joint for an hour or so.

When we got to the place a DJ was setting up for karaoke and starting at 7pm. The place was full of his friends including young kids, and looking for some quiet time and a slice of pizza this gave me a bad feeling about being there. Now the worst case happens and the DJ recognizes me, comes over and then starts in on his wonder system, complete with, you guessed it Bose 802s. He starts into his spiel and I start slipping into a coma. He wants me to look at the system to which I politely decline based on health reasons. He starts his scaryoke and more sure than a shit the biggest fattest 12 year old I've ever seen grabs a mic and starts singing the fucking song to frozen or whatever that movie is.

OK, so now you get the picture, and the point is this. The 802 is the worst sounding cabinet on the face of the planet regardless of number used, regardless of how many times I've heard them, and regardless of processing or processor type. On top of that allowing people to use them for karaoke should be considered a crime against humanity punishable by death. I actually felt worse when I got home and now can't even type the word pizza without feeling more ill than I already am.

And the kid was ugly too.

Bob, you are amazing.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »

Bob, you are amazing.

God Bless Bob Leonard.

Thomas Le

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »

(Raises hand) I'll have whatever OP's having...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »

Bob, Best laugh I had all day. We will keep you in our prayers during your recovery.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.