ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers  (Read 94832 times)

Al Rubio, Jr

Re: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:13 AM »

A personal anecdote from long-ago (early 80's to be precise)...
I remember the first "big gig" my first real band was booked to play... opening for a Doors tribute band at our local Civic Center ballroom.  Walked in for setup to find a HUGE Bose PA; and by huge, I mean there had to have been at least 30 802's per side.  Monitors were 402's nested in their upturned lids, with additional 402's as sidefills.  The "Gandalf-like" dude at the huge Yamaha board regaled us with stories of his life on the road with the likes of the Stones and such... but it was when we were listening to the headliners run through their soundcheck that we were struck by how loud and relatively clear this PA was compared to the typical Low, Mid, High (and sometimes superhigh) pyramided stacks we'd see and hear at the typical rock show that'd roll through town.  Now, being a 'greenhorn novice' at this point in my life... I had no way of quantifying any of the performance characteristics of this 'impressive' system.  BUT...
a few years later, I seem to recall seeing a pic in a music mag of some festival up around Chicago (IIRC) that supposedly documented Cheap Trick running through a similarly setup (but even larger) Bose PA, which only served to cement the experience in my mind.
Now, all that being said, I've also heard small arrays of a pair or three 802's set up to provide sound at small venues with very unfavorable results, so...   ;)

Kurt Nyberg

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »

I guess the multiplication was the trick here... similar to the vows of Hifi speaker brands like McIntosh.

It makes sense that the Hifi characteristics of the 802's were significantly amplified through component multiplication, possibly enough to resemble outputs of other professional PA rigs while still preserving their Hifi like sound at least in the near field.

But whether that is still economical... haha.. And it is unlikely that even with multiplication they'd ever be able to outshine the controlled coverage and long throw characteristics of horn loaded systems.

Kurt Nyberg

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 05:53:02 AM »

The "Wall of Sound" a system used by 'The Grateful Dead' (early 70s).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:24:58 PM by Cord Nieberg »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »

The original wood and tolex 801s sported the great "professional" virtues of low sensitivity and low power handling. 802s improved on these, but only marginally.

Current Bose pro installation products continue the tradition...

Richard Turner

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:13 AM »

The biggest problem with BOSE systems is that they are usually deployed incorrectly.  When used correctly as designed, you can get pretty decent results. This is similar to why Peavey got a bad rap.  The speakers were cheap and rugged as hell so entry level bands bought them and made them sound as bad as possible.  Used correctly, you can get some pretty good results.

Now, with BOSE the COST to deploy the system properly ends up being much, much higher than other solutions that could provide equal or better results.  If you can pick up used gear at a good price, it can be worthwhile.

The L1 is an example of being used incorrectly most of the time.  In a small venue amplifying an acoustic instrument or small band, they work as good if not better than traditional systems.  The price is pretty high, and the portability of the design sucks, but the sound isn't horrible, again, if used properly. i.e., you can't cover 1000 people outdoors with a pair of sticks like I saw done last week. :-/

exactly, The L1 SYSTEM sounds  pretty decent when used for 1 vocal + 1 accoustic instrument in a small room and when dialed in and placed behind the talent it just feels more natural than a lot of PA on stick. Its musician friendly, somewhat unique in the MI segment of the marketplace and plays well with the giging guys/gals who just want something simple and really if you take into account its doubling as a guitar amp as well as vocal PA the price isn't all that horrible for someone working on a regular basis.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Agreed.  There's no reason to buy an 802 system today in light of many better options, but I think the hatred in the thread for the 802s may be just a tiny bit over-hyped - they are not remotely the worst-sounding box I have encountered.  High praise for sure.  ::)

The Bose L1 on the other hand, deserves all the criticism possible.  It is over-priced, sounds terrible as generally deployed, and is significantly larger in a vehicle than a reasonable speaker like a QSC K10.  The marketing machine was really working overtime there.

The Bose L1 system has been used on stage by Todd Rundgren, The Steve Miller Band, Greg Lake, Pat Metheney....
Foreigner uses L1 systems exclusively for their intimate acoustic shows.
What is your personal experience using L1 systems that makes you state that it, "deserves all the criticism possible"?
What was the application you were using it for? Were you using it as it was designed to be used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibKEEBlfWs

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »

The Bose L1 system has been used on stage by Todd Rundgren, The Steve Miller Band, Greg Lake, Pat Metheney....
Foreigner uses L1 systems exclusively for their intimate acoustic shows.
What is your personal experience using L1 systems that makes you state that it, "deserves all the criticism possible"?
What was the application you were using it for? Were you using it as it was designed to be used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibKEEBlfWs
And the other 99.9% of performers in the universe don't.  I don't have a ton of respect for marketing videos - there are lots of folks that for reasons other than technical merit choose to endorse products.

My experience with the Blowse L1 is consistent with most peoples': one unit attempted to be used by several band members, due to a group being unwilling to invest in $10,000 worth of Stonehenge to follow Bose's model.

Look - I get it - there are a few situations where the results are acceptable, however they are hardly ever used that way, and I submit that 90%+ of the time there is a better option for less money.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

Acceptable is a good term when it (they) are used as directed.  But better than a "real" system?   They wouldn't stir up much angst if their marketing portrayed them as a different, acceptable, solution within a narrow scope of applications.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »

Acceptable is a good term when it (they) are used as directed.  But better than a "real" system?   They wouldn't stir up much angst if their marketing portrayed them as a different, acceptable, solution within a narrow scope of applications.

Puts me in mind of the disclaimers on those medication commercials...you know, "Use as directed.  Stop taking (**********) if you experience any of the following."

There follows a ghastly litany of side effects including DEATH.  But "safe" when used as directed...maybe.

Be safe.

Bring
Other
Sound
Equipment
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

paul bell

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »

I've done a good amount of work with Bose speakers-REMOVING THEM AND REPLACING WITH BETTER GEAR.

I have a few Bose stories, here's one:

When remote controls started to become commonplace on sound gear, a Bose tech was sent out to a store and a remote control was purchased. It was opened, copied and the first Bose remote was based on it. The store bought one was re-assembled and returned for a refund.

No highs no lows must be Bose!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.