ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers  (Read 94816 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: the truth behind the bose 802 speakers
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 01:36:28 AM »

In my opinion the problem with Bose is that the cost is 10 times the value.  For any given Bose system I have used, or even heard, I could have done as good or better on way less money.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 07:15:46 AM »

In my opinion the problem with Bose is that the cost is 10 times the value.  For any given Bose system I have used, or even heard, I could have done as good or better on way less money.
While I will agree that their "professional" stuff sounds like crap, I will have to admit that their small computer speakers sound quite amazing.
I picked up one of those Soundlink systems for audio in my hotel room when travelling.
Pretty good sound from such a small unit. Not hifi, to be sure, but quite acceptable.
I will admit that they are a bit pricey though!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 07:30:42 AM »

While I will agree that their "professional" stuff sounds like crap, I will have to admit that their small computer speakers sound quite amazing.

That's true.  It's as if they are two separate companies.

Steve.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:44 AM »

That's true.  It's as if they are two separate companies.

Steve.

After listening a lot out there, I bought the Bose companion 20 computer speaker for my worktable.
they sound stellar!

And i happened to hear the bose in-ears also, and thought they were fantastic! would prolly be picked a pair up soon.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Richard Turner

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »

I'd take the 802 with processor any day over most any peavey impulse, yamaha club series, carvin, phonic, behringer, insert generic speaker on a stick here

They are a tired old grey mule but feed them enough oats and they may just fet the back 40 plowed one more time.

I remember a late 80's cut sheet from bose it had a silly sized array of 802 with some sub modules stacked up and photos of a speaking event >80k in attendance . The text was hyping the intelligible sound that could be heard close to 2 miles back. At the time I'd guess it was a worthwhile SYSTEM.

the bose stuff has always been sold as a processor controlled system, I'm no fan boy but not a hater either. Give me enough of them and enough amperage to drive them and you will get a better than average show. 2 or 4 on sticks you cannot expect much.

And don't go mixing the 402 and 802 drivers, they are different part numbers for a reason and there actually is a passive filter network in the box that is dependant on the low ohm voice coils to do its thing properly.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 09:02:31 AM »

I'd take the 802 with processor any day over most any peavey impulse, yamaha club series, carvin, phonic, behringer, insert generic speaker on a stick here

They are a tired old grey mule but feed them enough oats and they may just fet the back 40 plowed one more time.

I remember a late 80's cut sheet from bose it had a silly sized array of 802 with some sub modules stacked up and photos of a speaking event >80k in attendance . The text was hyping the intelligible sound that could be heard close to 2 miles back. At the time I'd guess it was a worthwhile SYSTEM.

the bose stuff has always been sold as a processor controlled system, I'm no fan boy but not a hater either. Give me enough of them and enough amperage to drive them and you will get a better than average show. 2 or 4 on sticks you cannot expect much.

And don't go mixing the 402 and 802 drivers, they are different part numbers for a reason and there actually is a passive filter network in the box that is dependant on the low ohm voice coils to do its thing properly.

A Bose 802 is about $800. There are MANY superior speakers on sticks for that kind of money.  The JBL PRX612m comes to mind. 

I'd take the Bose over bottom of the barrel peavey or behringer too, but if we are comparing $, then no way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »

A Bose 802 is about $800. There are MANY superior speakers on sticks for that kind of money.  The JBL PRX612m comes to mind. 

I'd take the Bose over bottom of the barrel peavey or behringer too, but if we are comparing $, then no way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.  There's no reason to buy an 802 system today in light of many better options, but I think the hatred in the thread for the 802s may be just a tiny bit over-hyped - they are not remotely the worst-sounding box I have encountered.  High praise for sure.  ::)

The Bose L1 on the other hand, deserves all the criticism possible.  It is over-priced, sounds terrible as generally deployed, and is significantly larger in a vehicle than a reasonable speaker like a QSC K10.  The marketing machine was really working overtime there.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »

Looks like it's time for a 'worst speaker ever made' thread!

Steve.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »

The biggest problem with BOSE systems is that they are usually deployed incorrectly.  When used correctly as designed, you can get pretty decent results. This is similar to why Peavey got a bad rap.  The speakers were cheap and rugged as hell so entry level bands bought them and made them sound as bad as possible.  Used correctly, you can get some pretty good results.

Now, with BOSE the COST to deploy the system properly ends up being much, much higher than other solutions that could provide equal or better results.  If you can pick up used gear at a good price, it can be worthwhile.

The L1 is an example of being used incorrectly most of the time.  In a small venue amplifying an acoustic instrument or small band, they work as good if not better than traditional systems.  The price is pretty high, and the portability of the design sucks, but the sound isn't horrible, again, if used properly. i.e., you can't cover 1000 people outdoors with a pair of sticks like I saw done last week. :-/
Brian Jojade

Roland Clarke

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »

I've used a small system comprising of 2 802's a side and the 302 bass bins that belongs to a local guy in a couple of small 200 capacity venues.  He has the processor on the rig a graphic foh and a 24 channel LX7.  Admittedly, the band was the James Hunter 6, who are a really good outfit, but the sound I was able to achieve was good by any standard.  I'm not trying to say that there aren't much better things out there, a nice little D&B Q rig would have been great, however, I didn''t feel that the sound I was getting was noticeably compromised.  Once again, operated sensibly, within their limits, they are capable of good results.  The talent in front of the mic's and the room are still the biggest factors.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.