ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where can I find licensed riggers?  (Read 2449 times)

Brian Henson

• Professional Button Pusher
Where can I find licensed riggers?
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »

What's a good place to look for contractors who are licensed in rigging loudspeakers?

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
Re: Where can I find licensed riggers?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:45:49 AM »

What's a good place to look for contractors who are licensed in rigging loudspeakers?
I would start at an engineering firm, structural w/ PE is what you want for BP.

To do the actual rigging, your local IATSE will have a real rigger you can hire.

(opinion, not sure of the Official Process for this.)
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »

I'd reccomend you find an ETCP certified rigger. 

http://etcp.plasa.org/cert_technicians/search.php

it's advisable they be fully insured, and perhaps that you, the venue, and any other interested parties be listed as additional insured on the policy.   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »

I'd reccomend you find an ETCP certified rigger. 

http://etcp.plasa.org/cert_technicians/search.php

it's advisable they be fully insured, and perhaps that you, the venue, and any other interested parties be listed as additional insured on the policy.

I've taken to requiring that CLIENTS add ME to their policies, too.  Why should I not receive some indemnity for their physical structure's issues or negligence on the client's part?  This has created some very interesting discussions that, when the lawyers talk about it, gets expensive. ;)

@Brian - the design of any suspension system should be done by a Registered Professional Engineer, with stamped (his/her registration stamp) drawings and instructions to the contractors.  The rigger is the person who then supervises/performs the lift and the attachment of the load to the provided structure.

The ETCP is a good source of certified technicians.  Note that ETCP rigging certs for theater rigging and arena rigging are different; theater rigging deals more with the fly system, arena rigging is more about temporary suspension from existing structural components.  My initial thoughts are to consider an arena rigger first.  If the rigger is affiliated with an IATSE Local, call its business agent and have a chat about the prospect and specifically inquire as to his/her experience in facilitating permanent installations.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:04:21 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.