ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small PA thoughts  (Read 13940 times)

claude cascioli

Re: Small PA thoughts
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »

the qsc speakers are great but they dont couple well. with your budget look at the bose 802( series 3) speakers and good 18 subs jbl or ev. the bose sound great (you must use the  bose prosscessor) and good amps qsc plx 3102 or 3602 if you have 4 a side you will have a little killer pa that will eaisly cover 500 people outdoors and they are easy to handle and setup. even indoor 2 a side with a single 18 sub will work great. i dont like the bose subs they dont have the kick and they cost a lot and i dont think 4 5inch speakers will put out any real bass . and that system will fit in a mini van and the bose 402s work great as monitors 

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

+1 on this suggestion

I have this set up and it is fantastic! Easy to deploy, sounds big and great. Biggest problem I run into is people who "hear" with their "eyes". They can't believe such a small system can sound so good and loud. No complicated processing either, I couldn't be happier with this set up.

+2 - I have the SM80 over TH115 (1 over 1 each side) powered by Crown Itech and xti amps and we have covered events up to 300-400 ppl outdoors, nothing real heavy or EDM.  We could probably upgrade to 2 TH 118s per side and the SM80 would still keep up.  And we routinely get compliments about the sound quality.  A more economical sub with equal spl (but a different but still hi-fi sub kick sound) would be the JTR Orbit Shifter which gets a lot of love around here but is a relatively unknown brand outside of the home threater crowd.

Dave Horo

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »

Appreciate the thoughts on the Danley stuff.  I'm sure it sounds great, but I prefer to go with all powered boxes if possible.

I got pricing on the Q-series stuff and think I'll have to take a pass.  I knew it was expensive, but not that expensive.

I think that makes the two strongest contenders the Fulcrum FA22ac/TS215ac and the Vue H12w/HS25.  Not surprisingly, they are very close in price.  It seems like either would do what I need with a minimum of boxes and setup... slightly easier to manage than the line array boxes and less hassle.

I haven't heard either system yet but assume I couldn't go wrong with either one.

Any other opinions?  Am I missing an obvious contender?
 - Dave

Dave Horo

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »

After some more research, my thinking above still holds, but I don't think I'm going to have the budget for a full Fulcrum or Vue system, which means I'm going to skimp on the subs for now and possibly add or change them later.

I think I can get into the Danley TH115Ps or possibly TH118Ps and still make the budget.  Should I have any concerns about those keeping up with the tops?  Are there other subs in a similar (or lower) price range I should consider instead?

Alternatively, I can go with 4 of something less expensive like QSC KW181s, DB SUB18Ds, EV ETX, etc. and try to move up to proper subs that match the tops as budget allows.

(Incidentally, the reason the SM80 isn't on the list is because I really want everything to be powered.)

Once again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight.
 - Dave

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

I have both the TH-118 and TH-115 and the TH-118 is lower and louder and better in the same size box. If you could arrange to demo the SM-80 with the subs you might change your mind about going all powered. The SM-80 box is just too small to stick an amp in but the combination with the TH-118 is astonishingly good. With small, light, powerful amps on the market these days it wouldn't add much to carry the power for this set up. A Powersoft M50Q and a one space crossover would be TWO RACK SPACES, or a couple of iTechs would be five.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:57:00 AM »

(Incidentally, the reason the SM80 isn't on the list is because I really want everything to be powered.)

Once again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and insight.
 - Dave

Why did you consider d&b Q-series, if you want self-powered?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Dave Horo

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

Why did you consider d&b Q-series, if you want self-powered?

Valid question.  Basically because I consider them the gold standard of what I was trying to do... high (build) quality, audio quality and light/small for the performance provided.  The goal is to see if I can achieve all those things in a most cost-effective package.
 - Dave

Jared Koopman

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »

The Vue is a serious box. Sounds fantastic and easy to deploy.

Dave Horo

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

The Vue is a serious box. Sounds fantastic and easy to deploy.

That's what I've heard, but I can't find any local to listen to.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

That's what I've heard, but I can't find any local to listen to.

Where is "local"?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.