ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Comment spoke volumes...  (Read 6855 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Comment spoke volumes...
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »

I just remembered something that happened yesterday when I was in GC which I thought was quite funny.

I was in there purchasing some light fixtures ( as mentioned in my other thread) -I needed them quickly. I asked a couple of questions regarding specs on the lamps I was looking at buying. The young guy who was helping me said he wasn't sure and would look up the specs online.

He had the monitor turned to one side and I could see he was checking out the Sweetwater site. He saw me looking and smiled and said, "I don't like our website - I always use Sweetwater's - I find it has so much more information than ours".
I just smiled….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Comment spoke volumes...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »

I just remembered something that happened yesterday when I was in GC which I thought was quite funny.

I was in there purchasing some light fixtures ( as mentioned in my other thread) -I needed them quickly. I asked a couple of questions regarding specs on the lamps I was looking at buying. The young guy who was helping me said he wasn't sure and would look up the specs online.

He had the monitor turned to one side and I could see he was checking out the Sweetwater site. He saw me looking and smiled and said, "I don't like our website - I always use Sweetwater's - I find it has so much more information than ours".
I just smiled….

At least he didn't pick the box and read it to you. I had a guy do that one time when I asked him if they had more info on the product. I walked out of the store while he was still talking. Haven't set foot in a MI store in over 10 years. Learn online-buy online. Don't even buy guitar picks in person anymore, but that's probably because I'm lazy.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:18:12 AM »

I use Sweetwater all the time Debbie. They keep me happy and their service is above the rest.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »

I just smiled….
I bought a couple of things from sweetwater and they have live, breathing, sales people who call me to see if I'm cool with my purchase and if they can help me in any way.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

I have spoken to a couple of guys at SW and I agree - they know their sh** !!

I get 'roped in' with GC because 1) I have a 'guy' there (wasn't in the other day) who is 'relatively' knowledgeable, gives me very good pricing, they have great return policy and I can get the item (if it is in stock) right away.
I have NO confidence in the knowledge of 99% of the guys who work there or in their business practices and sadly I agree with the consensus who see them going away before too long.

I mentioned to the same young man who served me the other day just how much money I have spent with GC over the years and he mumbled, " well, when we start selling GC shares soon"……..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »

GC is OK for many things and the pricing is usually fine. I don't need or want help when I'm there so I get what I need and then leave. I have Charlie Tappa for most large pro sound purchases, and everything else comes from Sweetwater. What many people don't add into the Sweetwater value is their sales force that can and will actually help you, their free and very fast shipping, and their web site.

I have purchased a number of vintage guitars using Ebay because I can communicate with the seller and demand pictures as needed. I had never purchased a new guitar without holding it until Sweetwater started to compete. You go to their site and you can see the actual guitar for sale and verify that because they show each guitar based on the serial number and at least a dozen photos. Call your rep and he will pull that guitar from their climate controlled storage area and take additional pictures, then send them to you. Recently I purchased a Gibson SG, 1961 LP with sideways vibrola. That went as far as Sweetwater calling Gibson for me before the purchase. I bought the guitar and 2 days later had it in my hands, plus I saved $100 bucks. Now to be fair to GC they used to do the same thing for me when I had a very good rep in Boston. But not anymore.

example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »

I have spoken to a couple of guys at SW and I agree - they know their sh** !!

I get 'roped in' with GC because 1) I have a 'guy' there (wasn't in the other day) who is 'relatively' knowledgeable, gives me very good pricing, they have great return policy and I can get the item (if it is in stock) right away.
I have NO confidence in the knowledge of 99% of the guys who work there or in their business practices and sadly I agree with the consensus who see them going away before too long.

I mentioned to the same young man who served me the other day just how much money I have spent with GC over the years and he mumbled, " well, when we start selling GC shares soon"……..

Mike Thrower? He is the only guy there i will willingly talk to....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »

Mike Thrower? He is the only guy there i will willingly talk to....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha…that's 'my guy ' !!!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »

GC is OK for many things and the pricing is usually fine. I don't need or want help when I'm there so I get what I need and then leave. I have Charlie Tappa for most large pro sound purchases, and everything else comes from Sweetwater. What many people don't add into the Sweetwater value is their sales force that can and will actually help you, their free and very fast shipping, and their web site.

I have purchased a number of vintage guitars using Ebay because I can communicate with the seller and demand pictures as needed. I had never purchased a new guitar without holding it until Sweetwater started to compete. You go to their site and you can see the actual guitar for sale and verify that because they show each guitar based on the serial number and at least a dozen photos. Call your rep and he will pull that guitar from their climate controlled storage area and take additional pictures, then send them to you. Recently I purchased a Gibson SG, 1961 LP with sideways vibrola. That went as far as Sweetwater calling Gibson for me before the purchase. I bought the guitar and 2 days later had it in my hands, plus I saved $100 bucks. Now to be fair to GC they used to do the same thing for me when I had a very good rep in Boston. But not anymore.

example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/

I certainly had no idea that SweetWater went to such lengths to provide all that info. That is really good to know Bob -thanks.

I usually find when I am in GC and talking to the guys in the pro sound department, they have no idea what the heck I am talking about once I get in the 'zone'. I am sure they all think I'm crazy - apart from Mike who  is the only one there who gets me because he understands what Im talking about.
So, I tend to know what I want before I go there too. Ironically one of the questions I had the other day was to do with lumens/lux numbers - just to see if by chance he might know. The guy had no idea what I was talking about.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 26 queries.