ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever need to buy new PA in a hurry? That's me, and I only have GC nearby  (Read 7761 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Based on the comments of those I trust, I'd look at the Yamaha DSR boxes.  And if you buy at GC you can return them if you don't like them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

Based on the comments of those I trust, I'd look at the Yamaha DSR boxes.  And if you buy at GC you can return them if you don't like them.

+ 1 on this one

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

Around here, weekly or monthly rentals are only a bit more expensive than 2/3x the daily rate.

Otherwise, do as Tim says and go for the Yamahas.  Take them back if you don't like them.

But considering you've been using B52's, I'll bet you'll like them fine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:41:52 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

Yeah. I the Yammy's were a bit too high in price. Since I have 30 days to return and they'll be impressive enough for tomorrow's crowd, I went with the ZLX's. I did a side by side with the ELX's and sure, there's a difference. I really liked the ELX's, but I don't often play for crowds that would pay for even that level of PA. The door is open to trade up within 30 days, but I really do like being able to carry these suckers around with one hand...so I'm going to try and make 'em work. If not, it's the ELX's...and some cases with wheels. haha. (my back..)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

In my opinion, the new Mackie SRM 650's sound terrible. I think I'd rather have the older 450's in their plastic box.

15" boxes:

The ELX115P is a highly regarded EV powered box. I would not purchase their plastic box ZLX15P.

Other options: JBLPRX715 and QSC KW152 both excellent.

While you're in GC check out the new Alto black series (they have a bunch of them at my GC).

I can tell you that the ZLX's have done well for us, both the 15's and the 12's.  I have paired them with different subwoofers over the time I have owned them, they sound acceptable over QSC 181's but no where near as good as the KW122.  Won't don't you like about the sound of the QSC's?  That may help me let you know if you will like the EV's.  They are musical and transparent but run out of headroom much faster than the QSC's.  Whatever you do don't get the EV ELX118 powered sub the driver, cabinet and amp are of poor quality.  For easy on the back a pair of Behringer B1800D Pro's would not be bad (just take the logo off) or for a little more money the JBL EON subs.  I am waiting to see a pair of the ETX18P's 

What kind of mixer are you going to buy?  A Mackie DL1608 if you own and iPod or a Behringer x32 rack or producer are both great entry level digital mixers.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

I can tell you that the ZLX's have done well for us, both the 15's and the 12's.  I have paired them with different subwoofers over the time I have owned them, they sound acceptable over QSC 181's but no where near as good as the KW122.  Won't don't you like about the sound of the QSC's?  That may help me let you know if you will like the EV's.  They are musical and transparent but run out of headroom much faster than the QSC's.  Whatever you do don't get the EV ELX118 powered sub the driver, cabinet and amp are of poor quality.  For easy on the back a pair of Behringer B1800D Pro's would not be bad (just take the logo off) or for a little more money the JBL EON subs.  I am waiting to see a pair of the ETX18P's 

What kind of mixer are you going to buy?  A Mackie DL1608 if you own and iPod or a Behringer x32 rack or producer are both great entry level digital mixers.

Thanks for the heads up about the Sub. That could be a purchase in a couple of months, but the way to do it right would be to get dual subs. I don't need to own a whole live sound rig, because usually when I'm working those gigs it's through another group of folks.

I do DJ quite a bit, sometimes at places without PA's. My DJ mixer and controller are both Denon, and my vinyl rig is a Pioneer. They're not Rane, but they're great. I own a crappy 8 channel mackie, some SM58's, 57's, stands, and the rest are TV mics (omni's)  ;D I still do video/eng stuff.

When I do the sound for the barber shop quartet I'll also be DJ'ing a bit, outdoors, next to a busy street, as part of a public art opening. It's usually simple, like that. I'm just a stickler for quality. I turned down used EON's at $100 because they were the original ones... and I was never thrilled to use the B52's in situations like this, where they're really out of place haha

Gus Housen

Buy them from GC
, if you dont like them return them

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Ya know, renting doesn't limit you to stores. There are plenty of sound companies in the area that could rent to you.

I don't know about the other folk in this area but when I rent out to other sound guys, the rental price is based on the usage. Guy picks up gear in Thursday for Sat gig and might bring it back Tuesday. Rental is for one day. Heck, I had one recently where the gear got used Friday for a while and when he returned it, he gave me an extra amount for it.

Check the marketplace. Lots of requests for gear for a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England

I don't know about the other folk in this area but when I rent out to other sound guys, the rental price is based on the usage. Guy picks up gear in Thursday for Sat gig and might bring it back Tuesday. Rental is for one day.

There is a truck rental place here which I used to use a lot who worked on that principle.  If I wanted to use a truck on Saturday, I could pick it up on Friday (once it was returned if it was being used that day) and as long as I got it back on Monday morning, it was one day's rental.

Obviously, I found things to do with it on the Sundays!

Steve.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band

Buy them from GC
, if you dont like them return them

Even if you do like them, that's a month free rental.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.