ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever need to buy new PA in a hurry? That's me, and I only have GC nearby  (Read 7646 times)

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

I have been scouring Craigslist as well, but here's the situation:

I have a wedding tomorrow. I don't do very many of these anymore.

Most of the sound work I've done has been with a rented or already installed PA and I'm more of a roadie in the crew, but I can hold my own. Used to sound for television, not that it's quite the same, as well.. no PA involved, there. Lots of RE50's and lavs :)

Anyway, as a result, I never took a stop up from my original b52 matrix v1's. They've been in better shape. I've repaired a crossover in one of the tops, but I think the repair is going bad. It sounds like there isn't a crossover, now. One of the xlr inputs on the sub has a broken clip and it won't let go of cables without a good fight. Various bits have been gouged out of the bottom because the wheels don't provide enough clearance except for the smoothest of floors.. funny thing is a friend who is more professional than I has borrowed just the sub for a few live sound gigs.  :)

I digress. I don't feel comfortable using it at someone's wedding tomorrow. I've decided with little time to spare to replace it.

I'm thinking about EV ZLX 15p's, which are at about the max I can spend. GC has them. Will I miss the sub? That's the big question. I've used these as stage monitors before, btw - from a rental house. DSP's just bypassed not put in that mode...

Could I get more for less with Mackie's or EONS? I don't know. I never liked their sound but they have new versions since the last time I checked...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I have been scouring Craigslist as well, but here's the situation:

I have a wedding tomorrow. I don't do very many of these anymore.

Most of the sound work I've done has been with a rented or already installed PA and I'm more of a roadie in the crew, but I can hold my own. Used to sound for television, not that it's quite the same, as well.. no PA involved, there. Lots of RE50's and lavs :)

Anyway, as a result, I never took a stop up from my original b52 matrix v1's. They've been in better shape. I've repaired a crossover in one of the tops, but I think the repair is going bad. It sounds like there isn't a crossover, now. One of the xlr inputs on the sub has a broken clip and it won't let go of cables without a good fight. Various bits have been gouged out of the bottom because the wheels don't provide enough clearance except for the smoothest of floors.. funny thing is a friend who is more professional than I has borrowed just the sub for a few live sound gigs.  :)

I digress. I don't feel comfortable using it at someone's wedding tomorrow. I've decided with little time to spare to replace it.

I'm thinking about EV ZLX 15p's, which are at about the max I can spend. GC has them. Will I miss the sub? That's the big question. I've used these as stage monitors before, btw - from a rental house. DSP's just bypassed not put in that mode...

Could I get more for less with Mackie's or EONS? I don't know. I never liked their sound but they have new versions since the last time I checked...

Rent.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

Rent.

Thanks, Tim. This would be the thing to do if I had planned ahead! I'm not buying for a one-off thing, though. They'll be used for an outdoor event next Thursday - a barber shop quartet and a bunch of official people saying things - other things down the line. So, it does pay for me to own something. The questions is - what, exactly?

I like open/transparent sound. I dislike harsh tweeters. Plastic speakers are okay as long as they don't sound that way. Powered speakers are a must. Class D all the way because of my back (also why plastic is okay).

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Thanks, Tim. This would be the thing to do if I had planned ahead! I'm not buying for a one-off thing, though. They'll be used for an outdoor event next Thursday - a barber shop quartet and a bunch of official people saying things - other things down the line. So, it does pay for me to own something. The questions is - what, exactly?

I like open/transparent sound. I dislike harsh tweeters. Plastic speakers are okay as long as they don't sound that way. Powered speakers are a must. Class D all the way because of my back (also why plastic is okay).

To quote Tim, "Rent".

Mac

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda

The fact that you don't have a clue on what to buy means you are more likely to make a costly mistake if you do it in a hurry. Research and demo takes time!
RENT!!!!! For now, buy when you are absolutely sure it's what you want!!!
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com

Where are you?
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

I've needed to buy gear in a hurry for shows, but that's always been to duplicate a system that I've used before. I've never DESIGNED a system in a hurry.

On the cheap end of speakers, all will have compromises.  Some people love the Mackie SRM speakers, for example.  Personally, I prefer the sound of the JBL Eons over them, but both kind of suck when you compare them to higher end.  It's the sound that you like that matters at that level.

If you've never used the EV's, you may end up loving them or you may end up hating them.  But if you buy them, you're married to them.  RENTING is the best way to expose yourself to new gear without the financial commitment of purchasing.
Brian Jojade

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia

Where are you?

North of Boston. Closted GC is Danvers, they don't rent. The one near Berklee in Boston does, but only QSC stuff, it's expensive, and some info I left out that's important for the rental equation - because you're all correct in theory but - After the wedding, I'm driving to NJ for two days and that's two more days of rental costs. Or maybe three. I would prefer to rent from Hanley sound where the folks I work with rent from, but I really haven't left enough time to plan for that, plus the extra days thing would still be there...

So, I agree with your advice but likely can't do it that way.  :( I won't pay for three-four days rental on a one day/night event.

I do know, from having worked with QSC, I don't hate it but I don't love it. It seems a bit pricey for what it is. I haven't used the systems with the weird bose-like subs, just the k12's or 15's with their more conventional subs..

I've been reading stuff online. The problem with most reviews on amazon and such is that everyone seems to love everything for the most part...

Maybe I need to narrow my question:

Are the new Mackie's less harsh and artificial sounding than the old Mackie's? Do the new JBL EONS sound less like plastic tubs?

The EV's I'm looking at are about a level up, at least is price, and unlike EONS and "Thumps" they don't look like kids toys, but are they really that much better for that much more? I'm also thinking that the EV's will mate with a sub better, later on, with the DSP settings.. given that I won't have external crossovers..

I have had experience with other powered monitors on the market, I should add. My friend's JBL 515's (currently called the 615?) are pretty darn good - like grown up EONS, but a bit more money than the EV's. I'd get 'em if they were on sale, without regrets. I just need to hear the EV's as more than just floor monitors..literally heading to GC now
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:20:27 PM by Seth Albaum »

Steve Garris

North of Boston. Closted GC is Danvers, they don't rent. The one near Berklee in Boston does, but only QSC stuff, it's expensive, and some info I left out that's important for the rental equation - because you're all correct in theory but - After the wedding, I'm driving to NJ for two days and that's two more days of rental costs. Or maybe three. I would prefer to rent from Hanley sound where the folks I work with rent from, but I really haven't left enough time to plan for that, plus the extra days thing would still be there...

So, I agree with your advice but likely can't do it that way.  :( I won't pay for three-four days rental on a one day/night event.

I do know, from having worked with QSC, I don't hate it but I don't love it. It seems a bit pricey for what it is. I haven't used the systems with the weird bose-like subs, just the k12's or 15's with their more conventional subs..

I've been reading stuff online. The problem with most reviews on amazon and such is that everyone seems to love everything for the most part...

Maybe I need to narrow my question:

Are the new Mackie's less harsh and artificial sounding than the old Mackie's? Do the new JBL EONS sound less like plastic tubs?

The EV's I'm looking at are about a level up, at least is price, and unlike EONS and "Thumps" they don't look like kids toys, but are they really that much better for that much more? I'm also thinking that the EV's will mate with a sub better, later on, with the DSP settings.. given that I won't have external crossovers..

I have had experience with other powered monitors on the market, I should add. My friend's JBL 515's (currently called the 615?) are pretty darn good - like grown up EONS, but a bit more money than the EV's. I'd get 'em if they were on sale, without regrets. I just need to hear the EV's as more than just floor monitors..literally heading to GC now

In my opinion, the new Mackie SRM 650's sound terrible. I think I'd rather have the older 450's in their plastic box.

15" boxes:

The ELX115P is a highly regarded EV powered box. I would not purchase their plastic box ZLX15P.

Other options: JBLPRX715 and QSC KW152 both excellent.

While you're in GC check out the new Alto black series (they have a bunch of them at my GC).

Thomas Le

The EON's are a new box, although still plastic, the amp module mimics what the PRX700 series have. Also add the Yamaha DXR/DSR to the list, they've got some rave reviews.

How big a crowd and venue are you working with?

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.