ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS is why.....  (Read 16975 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: THIS is why.....
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »

Strange.

Every vehicle I have ever driven that has a clutch (trucks and cars) has the brake pedal between the clutch and the gas.  I don't how how you could drive by using the same foot for both the clutch and gas.

But maybe the lambos are different???????????

Maybe their different... Or maybe it was a case of mistaking the gas pedal for the brake. There was a person that drove a car completely into a local department store a few weeks ago(I tried and failed to find the pic) by doing that.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »

Strange.

Every vehicle I have ever driven that has a clutch (trucks and cars) has the brake pedal between the clutch and the gas.  I don't how how you could drive by using the same foot for both the clutch and gas.

But maybe the lambos are different???????????

Some go fast sporty cars have gas and brake pedals very close together so drivers can actually hit both at the same time for tight turns (called "heel and toe" or something like that).. No they don't use clutch and gas at the same time.

My lawnmower has brakes and clutch on the same one pedal.  ;D

IIRC there was an issue with the audi back a while ago where some owners had a pattern of confusing the gas for the brakes and trashed a bunch of cars braking as hard as they could by mashing the go pedal.  ::)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »

Flipflops should ONLY be worn when showering in public places.

-Wiggy

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »

Never let a valet drive your lambo.. Especially in Delhi!
 The owner is asking the hotel for damages which they have refused saying parking is at the owner's risk.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »

Some go fast sporty cars have gas and brake pedals very close together so drivers can actually hit both at the same time for tight turns (called "heel and toe" or something like that).. No they don't use clutch and gas at the same time.

My lawnmower has brakes and clutch on the same one pedal.  ;D

IIRC there was an issue with the audi back a while ago where some owners had a pattern of confusing the gas for the brakes and trashed a bunch of cars braking as hard as they could by mashing the go pedal.  ::)

JR

Actually, "matching revs" does use clutch and gas at the same time, often while braking. When entering a corner a driver might want to be braking while simultaneously downshifting at a higher speed than the syncros will allow. To do that you have to shift into neutral, release the clutch pedal and blip the throttle then push the clutch and downshift. If the driver wants to brake at the same time he will need to "heel and toe" the brake and gas.

During my time at Road & Track Magazine I often drove an Audi 4000 wagon that had been in an unintended acceleration incident, though without damage. I did notice that the pedals were both slightly to the left of where you'd expect them in an American car of the era. It was quite easy to hit the right edge of the brake and slip off onto the gas pedal if you were used to American cars.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »

Actually, "matching revs" does use clutch and gas at the same time, often while braking. When entering a corner a driver might want to be braking while simultaneously downshifting at a higher speed than the syncros will allow. To do that you have to shift into neutral, release the clutch pedal and blip the throttle then push the clutch and downshift. If the driver wants to brake at the same time he will need to "heel and toe" the brake and gas.
I am not an expert on this but IIRC heel and toe driving was not about shifting but a smoother (quicker) return to power after (while still) braking in a curve.

[edit- I guess if you still have a foot left over you could slip the clutch for simultaneous downshifting, while this seems like an overly complex operation to try to match revs with.  /edit]

I recall having to double-clutch to rev-match gears when down-shifting to first gear in non-syncro gear boxes. Old school three speeds had syncro rings between 2nd and 3rd gear but not down to 1st gear.  Double clutching was a useful trick to match the transmission input gear (Pilot gear?) and clutch disc up to the non-syncro 1st gear's RPM for minimal loss of gear teeth metal while shifting down. Useful for street racing from a rolling start when driving that old iron, not that I would ever admit on the WWW to doing something illegal like street racing.  8) I suspect double-clutching is a lost art these days when most drivers can't even single clutch. While there is little need for it with modern all syncro transmissions.

Some of the modern uber-cars electronically rev-match for shifts probably to reduce stress in the gear box, or to deliver a smoother ride to the meat puppets.
During my time at Road & Track Magazine I often drove an Audi 4000 wagon that had been in an unintended acceleration incident, though without damage. I did notice that the pedals were both slightly to the left of where you'd expect them in an American car of the era. It was quite easy to hit the right edge of the brake and slip off onto the gas pedal if you were used to American cars.
Yup, that car brand made a lot of lawyers extra income and there was enough "there" there that the brand was weak for years in the US. Pilot error but influenced by the poor ergonomic design.

JR
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:59:04 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »

I suspect double-clutching is a lost art these days when most drivers can't even single clutch. While there is little need for it with modern all syncro transmissions.

Recent car theft/car jacking was unsuccessful because the car had a manual transmission.  Thieves got less than a block before abandoning it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »

I suspect double-clutching is a lost art these days when most drivers can't even single clutch. While there is little need for it with modern all syncro transmissions.

Some of the modern uber-cars electronically rev-match for shifts probably to reduce stress in the gear box, or to deliver a smoother ride to the meat puppets.Yup, that car brand made a lot of lawyers extra income and there was enough "there" there that the brand was weak for years in the US. Pilot error but influenced by the poor ergonomic design.

I'm teaching my 26YO daughter, who has been driving for 10 years, how to drive a manual transmission so she can drive my old Audi A4 after my new Audi A3 arrives.

The new car will have one of those electronically shifted dual clutch transmissions.

Mac

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »

I'm teaching my 26YO daughter, who has been driving for 10 years, how to drive a manual transmission so she can drive my old Audi A4 after my new Audi A3 arrives.

The new car will have one of those electronically shifted dual clutch transmissions.

Mac
I really enjoy driving my manual transmission Focus; it's much more fun than an automatic car. I bet an A4 with a manual can be a blast to drive.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »

I really enjoy driving my manual transmission Focus; it's much more fun than an automatic car. I bet an A4 with a manual can be a blast to drive.

It is, and I've had 2 of them over the past 15 years, but I really wanted the new A3, and it only comes with the DSG transmission. The stick is also not so much fun in stop and go traffic on the westside highway.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.